U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 09:02 AM

19,717 posts, read 11,562,205 times

Advertisements

An Engineer Explains Why Trump's Wall Is So Implausible

Quote:
No. Donald Trump is not a builder. Donald Trump could not build a doghouse. Donald Trump is a developer who pays what he would call “very, very smart people” to build things on his behalf. His response to Ramos’ question was meant both to exaggerate his understanding of construction and to downplay the challenges posed by his border wall project.
The challenge of Trump’s border wall is not technical, but logistical. The leap in complexity between “building a wall” and “building a 2,000-mile-long continuous border wall in the desert” is about equal to the gap between “killing a guy” and “waging a protracted land war.” Trump’s border wall, if built as he has described it, would be one of the largest civil works projects in the history of the country and would face an array of challenges not found when constructing 95-story skyscrapers.
(read entire article)
As for making Mexico pay for it, exactly how? Mexico has no obligation to pay anything. Oh, Trump said that he'll deduct it from Mexico's foreign aide. Some estimates for the cost of the wall is $25 billion. Mexico's foreign aide grant is about $250 million a year. That would mean it would take a hundred years, not counting the time value of money, to pay for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2016, 09:12 AM

33,279 posts, read 20,098,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Please answer. Since when has America become a monarchy?
well, long answers short,

The Postal Service is losing millions a year to help you buy cheap stuff from China. How is that fair trade?

Many struggling middle class make decent part time income selling on ebay just years ago, now they have to compete with millions of chinese sellers selling goods directly from China.

But as Chinese companies began logging on to Web marketplaces like eBay, Amazon, and Alibaba, they started taking advantage of the shipping deal to sell directly to American consumers. And so it’s never been easier to get something cheap and Chinese delivered to your door for a startlingly low price: $4.64 for a digital alarm clock; $2.50 for a folding knife; $1.88 for an iPhone cable — all with shipping included.

This is not FREE MARKET at work, this is government interfering with free market. At the same time. Post office is losing MILLIONS a year. Your domestic shipping cost is almost the same as international shipping cost from China, and you have to wonder

WTF?

Yes, start with post office would be my first strategy if I were the president. This is just an example to show you how insane this country has become. I've never seen anything like it.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:19 AM

30,019 posts, read 16,602,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Incorrect. Trump can employ the full power of the Executive Branch, he can also
shape Federal judiciaries, marshals and agencies in his own likeness, and greatly
influence the Legislature, and the media. There is not one single facet of his
stated plans which he would be unable to implement. If he is the nominee of
the GOP you will see the platform take shape around his idea
s.
Of course, none of this is true.

The GOP can't stand him and they are not going to endorse his ideas or vote them through.

He will accomplish nothing of what he promises.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:20 AM

4,871 posts, read 2,349,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I agree that it's things like this that do have people flocking to Trump. I guess my question is - what could he do to stop this particular company from doing what they just did.

There is so much that has been tossed out the door in previous years. We could enact tariffs for imports. We could have better international trade agreements than we do now. Perot told people what would happen if NAFTA was inacted and it did. Free trade policies hurt the American worker every time. Anyone could do this - but only Trump talked about it and that's the person that people remember because he started his campaign addressing the issues normal Americans are concerned about.

Had any other candidate come out and instead of continually voicing their achievements - stated what was wrong with the country - thus appealing to the middle and lower classes - whether that candidate had a plan or not - they would have started a movement that you now see Trump leading.

Obama offered hope and change - people believed him and followed him - even after he was unable to fulfill any of those promises after 4 yrs - he still promised hope and change and people still believed - so even if Trump does nothing if he wins - there will always be those that follow him. People need something to believe in - even if it's has a snowball's chance in h double e hockey sticks - hence the popilarity of our lotteries!

Old 02-13-2016, 09:23 AM

The soldiers are getting paid whether they're overseas, watching the border or playing volleyball. How is it not cost efficient to use them as border patrol?

Using military securing the border, you might not need a wall.

This said, secure that Canadian border too, I don't care who gets offended. You don't have a country if you don't have a border.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:30 AM

9,984 posts, read 6,763,016 times
Quote:

The GOP can't stand him and they are not going to endorse his ideas or vote them through.

I guess you can say that if it makes you feel better.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:39 AM

30,019 posts, read 16,602,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
I guess you can say that if it makes you feel better.
I see you have nothing to refute it. You know it's true. No one in Congress is going to work with Trump.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:42 AM

4,871 posts, read 2,349,825 times
Quote:

They may not stand him - but if they want to keep their jobs they'll work with him. Are you forgetting how many Dems lost their seats or how many Tea Party politicians were elected. If they like their job - they can keep it - but only if they're doing right by the people that elected them - we do still have the upper hand every election!

Old 02-13-2016, 09:59 AM

14,661 posts, read 9,713,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post

Using military securing the border, you might not need a wall.
My son made a point that is relevant to your remark. You can't take down the wall with an executive order nor can you NOT "enforce" it. It is just there. Troops would be sent home with a phone call.

Old 02-13-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
My son made a point that is relevant to your remark. You can't take down the wall with an executive order nor can you NOT "enforce" it. It is just there. Troops would be sent home with a phone call.
True that.

But if Trump is our president, troops would not be sent home

But I know what you are saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or