U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 07:31 AM

6,226 posts, read 6,850,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Didnt Congress already approve a wall?
One little aspect of our border with Mexico that no politician has mentioned is but always referred to as a small 5' wall in many areas, that there is a virtual wall that no one sees. Although this electronic wall does not stop someone from crossing, it sets off a remote alarm when crossed by something bigger than a dog. How many miles this system operates I have no idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 07:58 AM

37,027 posts, read 16,417,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
One little aspect of our border with Mexico that no politician has mentioned is but always referred to as a small 5' wall in many areas, that there is a virtual wall that no one sees. Although this electronic wall does not stop someone from crossing, it sets off a remote alarm when crossed by something bigger than a dog. How many miles this system operates I have no idea.

That virtual wall had a lot of technical problems. It was pretty much abandoned.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:05 AM

6,226 posts, read 6,850,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
That virtual wall had a lot of technical problems. It was pretty much abandoned.
I know someone who worked on the virtual wall, retired military. He would bring the subject up here and there being very vague and then he never said much about it again. That was some years ago. Perhaps you are correct.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:06 AM

17,297 posts, read 25,720,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough

What we know about illegal immigration from Mexico | Pew Research Center

I read an article that said, more were leaving the U.S. than coming in ... if this trend keeps up people will have to find something else to be outraged about. The issues are endless, so I doubt there will be a problem there.

Seriously though the politicians running for POTUS they have these stats.

I have always wondered, where do these numbers come from?

Did Pew go out and find them?

How were they counted?

Discussion of Mexico hides the problem that the numbers from Central American countries OTHER THAN Mexico have increased. Many Mexicans are going home because the Mexican economy prospers and the mexican birthrate declines.

At the same time, economic migrants and refugees from Central America are passing right through the large and basically safe country of Mexico and doing the same thing the "migrants" in Europe from the Middle East and Northern Africa are doing: forum shopping.

They are attracted to the US because we give more freebies, have birthright citizenship, and unlike Canada and Mexico, actually do not enforce our immigration laws.

This failure to enforce is the result of a sick alliance between conservative business exploitators and liberal immigrant activists.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:15 AM

45,937 posts, read 34,102,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I like the part about deporting 12 million people. Each one of them is allowed to have a hearing. Just how long do you think that will take? Like 25 years?
They are entitled to representation, a hearing and an appeal.

Guess the US could operate the courts 24/7, appoint tens of thousands of new judges and draft every one who passes their state bar exa for representation. . No shortage of empty former big box stores. Guess government could lease the space and turn them into courts. Rehab would be costly.

Then there's that pesky problem of what to do with those pending trial. No room in the jails. Maybe ankle monitors for all outsource monitoring to a most favored company.

Yeah, that will work.

All candidates make campaign promises they will not keep. We the people continue to believe this time will be different.

Old 02-12-2016, 10:12 AM

8,773 posts, read 4,447,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
He doesn't have to worry about keeping his promise, not that he ever would.

What we know about illegal immigration from Mexico | Pew Research Center

I read an article that said, more were leaving the U.S. than coming in ... if this trend keeps up people will have to find something else to be outraged about. The issues are endless, so I doubt there will be a problem there.

Seriously though the politicians running for POTUS they have these stats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I have always wondered, where do these numbers come from?

Did Pew go out and find them?

How were they counted?

If we can count them, then it should be a no brainier that we know who they are.

If we know who they are, it should be easy to arrest and deport them.

Quote:
"if this trend keeps up people will have to find something else to be outraged about"
IMO, a silly statement.

They are leaving because they CANNOT find work.

When the economy recovers, it hasn't yet, unless we improve our ways of keeping them out, they will just come back in the same way they came in the first time.

I believe there is a story where one illegal killed a girl in Ca. and he had been deported several times.

Why was it so easy for him to get back in?
The data source for the stats is written within the articles. Cite first link, first graph:
Quote:
Source: Pew Research Center estimates for 2005-2012 based on augmented American Community Survey data from integrated Public Use Microdata Series (IPUMS); for 1995, 2000, 2013 and 2014 based on augmented March supplements to Current Population Survey
From a separate link: More Mexicans Leaving Than Coming to the U.S. | Pew Research Center
"This report uses the best available government data from both countries to estimate the size of these flows."

I don't think my statement about people finding issues to be outraged over is silly at all. But each to their own opinion.

This trend is something that I have been tracking over the past few years. It isn't new. People would rather stay with what they know, rather than obtain an updated version.

Mexico's government a few years back began their programs for the unemployed, lower income families. They two have a safety net.

It is a misconception that people will go where there is a hand out ... like you said, (economics) they will go where the work is made available to them and they can raise their family under better circumstances.

If the shoe was on the other foot, how is any one any different from the other? Whatever, one's pursuit might be, the road traveled to get there is 'never' easy, (many have died trying) nor is it made easy. No one fully knows or understands the circumstances of another, yet they can talk a big game about it and stir people up over it, most every time.

There are many reasons not to build a wall between America and Mexico, and/or America and any country, that to ever say there will be one, is a concoction.

We have moved into the era of globalization. Citizens are to be united all around the world, through work, through health care, (through migration); through acceptance of one another on equal terms. Tell me where the building of walls now makes any sense whatsoever.

We are also living in a time where we can be more informed than ever before, through each other and through organization's reports that have been conducted through research. Trump and his wall, he's just spewing more hot air; he's a salesmen and he knows how to do that well.

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 02-12-2016 at 10:26 AM..

Old 02-12-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Discussion of Mexico hides the problem that the numbers from Central American countries OTHER THAN Mexico have increased. Many Mexicans are going home because the Mexican economy prospers and the mexican birthrate declines.

At the same time, economic migrants and refugees from Central America are passing right through the large and basically safe country of Mexico and doing the same thing the "migrants" in Europe from the Middle East and Northern Africa are doing: forum shopping.

They are attracted to the US because we give more freebies, have birthright citizenship, and unlike Canada and Mexico, actually do not enforce our immigration laws.

This failure to enforce is the result of a sick alliance between conservative business exploitators and liberal immigrant activists.
Some one has been paying attention.

Old 02-12-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

Guess the US could operate the courts 24/7, appoint tens of thousands of new judges and draft every one who passes their state bar exa for representation. . No shortage of empty former big box stores. Guess government could lease the space and turn them into courts. Rehab would be costly.

Then there's that pesky problem of what to do with those pending trial. No room in the jails. Maybe ankle monitors for all outsource monitoring to a most favored company.

Yeah, that will work.

All candidates make campaign promises they will not keep. We the people continue to believe this time will be different.
People's hopefulness is a useful tool.

Old 02-12-2016, 02:45 PM

37,005 posts, read 16,141,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

Yeah, that will work.

"They are entitled to representation, a hearing and an appeal."

There in lies one of the problems.

MANY OF US BELIEVE THEY ARE NOT ENTITLED TO anything.

ONLY American citizens are "ENTITLED".

Prove you are a citizen or you are GONE. It is up to YOU to prove you are "entitled to be here .

IF you can't , see ya'.

Old 02-12-2016, 02:52 PM

37,005 posts, read 16,141,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
The data source for the stats is written within the articles. Cite first link, first graph:
From a separate link: More Mexicans Leaving Than Coming to the U.S. | Pew Research Center
"This report uses the best available government data from both countries to estimate the size of these flows."

I don't think my statement about people finding issues to be outraged over is silly at all. But each to their own opinion.

This trend is something that I have been tracking over the past few years. It isn't new. People would rather stay with what they know, rather than obtain an updated version.

Mexico's government a few years back began their programs for the unemployed, lower income families. They two have a safety net.

It is a misconception that people will go where there is a hand out ... like you said, (economics) they will go where the work is made available to them and they can raise their family under better circumstances.

If the shoe was on the other foot, how is any one any different from the other? Whatever, one's pursuit might be, the road traveled to get there is 'never' easy, (many have died trying) nor is it made easy. No one fully knows or understands the circumstances of another, yet they can talk a big game about it and stir people up over it, most every time.

There are many reasons not to build a wall between America and Mexico, and/or America and any country, that to ever say there will be one, is a concoction.

We have moved into the era of globalization. Citizens are to be united all around the world, through work, through health care, (through migration); through acceptance of one another on equal terms. Tell me where the building of walls now makes any sense whatsoever.

We are also living in a time where we can be more informed than ever before, through each other and through organization's reports that have been conducted through research. Trump and his wall, he's just spewing more hot air; he's a salesmen and he knows how to do that well.
"data from both countries to estimate

When they make political statements they do NOT say "estimate"

"Tell me where the building of walls now makes any sense whatsoever. "

If you don't think countries should exist, aka borders, with borders well, enough said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or