U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-14-2016, 12:16 PM
 
Location: Seattle WA, USA
3,902 posts, read 2,183,124 times
Reputation: 2587

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68551 View Post
I respectfully disagree....The fact that Sanders is not giving details about how the free college program will work tells me that they will accept "everyone" and dumb down the standards. A college diploma will mean no more than a high school degree. Masters Degrees & PHD's will be the new college degree. I will not live long enough to have to pay the bulk of it but YOUR GENERATION will!! You are making my point without even realizing it. If as you say 2/3 will drop out that is a total waste of taxpayer money... I have paid into property school tax all of my adult life, I am not happy about also having to fund college.

Will all current student loans be forgiven & also what about people like myself who paid our own way through college. Will return of our investment be retroactive? Of course not.....Having a college degree opened doors to financial freedom that allowed us to more than pay off the debt with greater job earnings. Our pride of achievement in life cannot be duplicated with Sanders plan. Its a free gimme that only fosters mediocrity at taxpayers expense.
I can see why you would misunderstand me about my 2/3 thing. What I meant was if every single person went to college, 2/3 of them probably would end up dropping out because they can't handle it, especially the kinds of people coming out of today's high schools, but that won't be the case because colleges don't have enough room to educate everyone, and they will still be more or less run the same way, except that the majority of their funding including tuition fees will be paid by the government, the college more or less will remain unchanged. College is optional so they will never lower standards, unlike regular school which has is mandatory. And even though college is optional, there still should be a fair playing field. And I'm pretty sure when they wanted to make public k-12 school, people were making the same excuses. Sure our schools have gotten worse over the years, but that doesn't mean we give up on it and tell everyone to go to private school.

Also that is not the only reason why I'm voting for him, even if he wasn't offering free college tuition, I still would vote for him because he wants to bring back glass-steagell, and break up the "to big to fail" banks that were created under the Clinton administration. He also wants to help out the worker unions so they can better negotiate with their employers, he wants to get rid of trade agreements and bring back our factories. Increase the minimum wage to $15, which lets be honest is not that much, and if you think a younge person is going to settle for that and be burger flipper his whole life, you are wrong. But somebody needs to be doing those jobs and to advance to higher paying jobs you need to start somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-14-2016, 12:59 PM
 
6,246 posts, read 2,666,930 times
Reputation: 2309
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If a republican wins this Presidency the nation is screwed..
If another Globalist Puppet wins we are screwed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2016, 01:28 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
6,175 posts, read 3,496,689 times
Reputation: 3798
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68551 View Post
This post is not about anyone but Sanders.

My point is the dumbing down of a free college education that has to be fair and pass everyone (I do not believe in this)

The thread is about people appreciating what they put an effort into

Its about a fear that our young people will be so blindsided by the free stuff that they give up the hard work and pride that comes from working hard to elevate their jobs and lives.
You did not go to college, did you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2016, 01:39 PM
 
Location: Texas
3,253 posts, read 1,714,029 times
Reputation: 3080
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68551 View Post
Plus....I have never met a Veteran who enlisted to fight for Socialism......
A federal army is not conservative.

On that note, look up Francis Bellamy the socialist that wrote our pledge of allegiance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2016, 01:57 PM
 
Location: Newport Beach, California
32,978 posts, read 19,952,237 times
Reputation: 12872
I like him because he seems authentic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2016, 02:15 PM
 
Location: Midwest
1,469 posts, read 855,693 times
Reputation: 2339
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
I can see why you would misunderstand me about my 2/3 thing. What I meant was if every single person went to college, 2/3 of them probably would end up dropping out because they can't handle it, especially the kinds of people coming out of today's high schools, but that won't be the case because colleges don't have enough room to educate everyone, and they will still be more or less run the same way, except that the majority of their funding including tuition fees will be paid by the government, the college more or less will remain unchanged. College is optional so they will never lower standards, unlike regular school which has is mandatory. And even though college is optional, there still should be a fair playing field. And I'm pretty sure when they wanted to make public k-12 school, people were making the same excuses. Sure our schools have gotten worse over the years, but that doesn't mean we give up on it and tell everyone to go to private school.

Also that is not the only reason why I'm voting for him, even if he wasn't offering free college tuition, I still would vote for him because he wants to bring back glass-steagell, and break up the "to big to fail" banks that were created under the Clinton administration. He also wants to help out the worker unions so they can better negotiate with their employers, he wants to get rid of trade agreements and bring back our factories. Increase the minimum wage to $15, which lets be honest is not that much, and if you think a younge person is going to settle for that and be burger flipper his whole life, you are wrong. But somebody needs to be doing those jobs and to advance to higher paying jobs you need to start somewhere.


When I was in Elementary school my parents never dreamed they would lower the standards either.

Sanders said everyone gets free college so your 2/3's still stands and taxpayers will foot the bill for those that fail.....more welfare we cannot afford....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2016, 04:08 PM
 
Location: Midwest
1,469 posts, read 855,693 times
Reputation: 2339
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
You did not go to college, did you?
Yes, as a matter of fact I did go to Penn State, worked 2 jobs to pay my own way through college and kept a 3.92 gpa while having a 12 credit+ semester.....This was already stated in my post #18, Can't you read and comprehend?? What is your point? That it cannot be done??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2016, 11:29 PM
 
20,586 posts, read 8,765,570 times
Reputation: 7082
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivininRoc85 View Post
That is how I went through college as well. Work, study and more work

To them, the only thing they want to hear is free education at every level and no responsibility



If I'm not mistaken, I believe colleges in Florida are free to residents. But they have to have a high gpa I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2016, 11:42 PM
 
Location: Out West
22,563 posts, read 16,717,234 times
Reputation: 26120
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68551 View Post
Yes, as a matter of fact I did go to Penn State, worked 2 jobs to pay my own way through college and kept a 3.92 gpa while having a 12 credit+ semester.....This was already stated in my post #18, Can't you read and comprehend?? What is your point? That it cannot be done??
You went to Penn State? Really?

Quote:
What the Bernie Sanders phonominum tells us....
Really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2016, 06:49 AM
 
Location: Midwest
1,469 posts, read 855,693 times
Reputation: 2339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
You went to Penn State? Really?



Really?

Yes I did...

Speed typing.....Guess you've never made a spelling mistake...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:31 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top