Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 07:00 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,255,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
My undergrad Federal student loans are at 6.5%.
6.8%, maybe, if you took out a subsidized loan between 2006 and 2008, or an unsubsidized loan up to 2013. Current rates are fixed at 4.29%; any productive discussion starts with what's going on now rather than lamenting the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 07:09 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,114,434 times
Quote:
Anyone? My vote depends on this...
I'm pretty sure everything you want will be free. Just fill out a few forms and submit them to headquarters.
My mortgage has become bothersome, so I want that paid by others as well.
I'm holding off on buying another AR, so I can submit my "I deserve it" forms, and see how that works out!
Seriously OP, are you that obtuse?

Old 02-16-2016, 07:13 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,114,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
If the Republicans block a supreme court nominee for the next 11 months, then the Senate, House and Presidency might be Democrat controlled because the GOP will be jumping off a cliff. It's almost as bad as halting the government. This doesn't go over well with voters and they would vote out lots of Republicans in congress and pick a Democrat for president too. To stick it to the party that is causing obstructionism. It'd be pretty hard to try to blame Obama for an 11 month delay in approving Supreme Court nominee. It will backfire, guaranteed.

The stupid antics have been courtesy of your side.
Dude, you got nothing, guaranteed!

Old 02-16-2016, 07:39 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,650,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Yeah seriously, we have to cut off SS and Medicare benefits as soon as seniors use up their (and their employers') contributions plus investment earnings thereon.

Mick

??????

And what about saving?

Today, far too many people spend like drunk sailors and live in homes that are too expensive, take too many trips, and buy cars they cannot afford. Why does everyone need a new i-phone or new flat screen tv? I lived in a dump when I was a kid and I thought it was just fine. In my neighborhood, most of my neighbors have less than half my income, yet live in the same size house. They drive better cars and take more trips.

I remember when people lived within thier means and took some responsibility for themselves. That, of course, requires some degree of pride and committment, which seems to be lacking today.

If someone has not saved for retirement, they should not retire. My grandparents worked until the day they died. I will probably do so as well, even though I could retire now.

Simply because someone WANTS a retirement and a life of leisure in a sun belt state does not mean that other citizens should foot the bill. Believe me, no one would be there to bail me out if I had not planned and saved.

The entitlement mentality of Americans is disgusting.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:01 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times
Quote:
Serious question here. Thanks.

All I have to say about government paying for anything...

Remember the $2500 Eswing Hammers?
The cost is going to skyrocket, as cost will be in the government waste.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:51 AM

1,660 posts, read 2,532,395 times
Thank you all for the help. We have decided to vote for Ted Cruz.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:10 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,531,949 times
Quote:
Thank you all for the help. We have decided to vote for Ted Cruz.
He will want a 10% tithe for the interest rate...

Old 02-16-2016, 03:53 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,471,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Why does everyone need a new i-phone or new flat screen tv?....
Are you still stuck in 2009?

If you think a flat screen TV is a luxury, you are stuck in a time warp. If someone wants a TV, they get a flat screen TV. You can't buy the old fashioned tube TVs any more. In my area, Salvation Army and Goodwill won't even take a charity donation of an old fashioned tube TV.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:07 PM

7,632 posts, read 8,698,013 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJEf9POwqYM

Old 02-16-2016, 10:53 PM

32,052 posts, read 15,037,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Of course college (and medical school) are necessary to become doctors. But not everyone in the country needs to be a doctor. I don't see anyone suggesting the elimination of all colleges or the granting of medical degrees and licenses straight out of high school.

You're missing the forest for the trees. The point is that college is way too expensive and a lot of people who go to college are not only failing to help their situation but are hurting their situation by virtue of graduating with enormous debt and little to show for it in the way of skills that are valuable in the employment market.

When one buys something, there is an implicit statement buy the purchases that the value of the product is greater than the cost. The same calculation has to be made for education. I've only been out of college 16 years and the per annum cost to attend my university has doubled in that time. In some cases, it may not be worth the money. You have to remember there are a lot more colleges and universities with Harvard prices than there are with Harvard value; those are the ones that are most susceptible to plummeting enrollments.

You'll definitely start seeing reductions in the number of seats and, eventually, reductions in tuition as well. Going massively into debt b/c it makes you feel good and b/c you were force fed the notion that you're nobody without a college degree is total BS and it will lead to more harm than good.
I'm not missing anything. State colleges are not that expensive if you are an instate student. You don't need to preach to me. We've put 2 kids through college in the last few years. I have to say housing was more expensive than their tutuion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections