Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 08:21 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,516,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
They have both run national campaigns and served Presidents.

The most telling thing to me is that Matalin acknowledges it has slipped away from Jeb. She is very loyal to that family and speaks of the elder George Bush in a highly reverential manner. The idea she thinks Dems will find a way to dodge both Bernie and Hillary is kinda funny. But I assume she (and Carvelle) probably know people waiting for a new Dem option to drop from the sky.
The establishment is apparently so desperate that they still have hopes for Jeb. If they were to somehow find a way to fix the nominating process against the passionate desires of the Republican electorate, it really could permanently destroy the Republican party. Mary Matalin seems to understand that and does not think they will actually take it that far.

What I find more interesting is that both Matalin and Carville does not think that Marco Rubio can recover either. Personally, I just do not think it is his time yet. Maybe they share that view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 08:27 AM

27,134 posts, read 15,310,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I seriously doubt this would happen. As we know, it will meet a legal challenge if he is the nominee. This also means, people voting for him in the primaries and caucusing for him may well just be wasting their effort, better spent on Carson, an honest Christian.

There are a lot of things about Cruz that are repulsive to a LOT of people, as you know. I had known from the minute that I saw his face on the internet that there was something just not right, some evil. He has been showing his true colors lately.

I would vote for Hillary, as would many others, if Cruz is the GOP nominee. I am sure a lot of the feed on Cruz becoming the nominee for the GOP is nothing more than a Democratic dream.

You can't see the evil in Hillary's face.........and voice?

Old 02-16-2016, 08:32 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,072,175 times
Mary Matalin also predicted Mitt Romney would win in 2012 and that Hillary Clinton would not run in 2016.

With that being said, I hope this time she's right. As a Democrat I'd be very happy with Ted Cruz on the top of the GOP ticket.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:34 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,516,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Mary Matalin also predicted Mitt Romney would win in 2012 and that Hillary Clinton would not run in 2016.

With that being said, I hope this time she's right. As a Democrat I'd be very happy with Ted Cruz on the top of the GOP ticket.
And someone not currently running as the Democrat's choice.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:53 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I think the idea of Cruz as the Republican nominee is just wishful thinking. I want to chop my fingers off for typing this, but I'm beginning to think Ponderosa was right all along...it's going to end up Bush/Clinton
LOL. Well Ponderosa is not feeling too confident with that prediction these days. SC will be the key. It's like "New York, New York". If Bush can't make it there, he can't make it anywhere. A third place finish would put him in the catbird's seat. But a poll out from PPP makes it look like he could finish last. It was before W came out though, if that matters much.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:57 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Lightbulb Political power couple thinks Ted Cruz will be Republican nominee for President

I'm relatively confident that this isn't the first time they've been wrong.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:05 AM

1,166 posts, read 755,059 times
I hope this does not happen. I don't like either of the two Democratic Party candidates, but there is no way in hell that I would ever vote for a pandering scumbag like Cruz. The fact that he has so much support from the GOP conservative base tells you just how far gone the Republican Party really is.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:16 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,301,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I seriously doubt this would happen. As we know, it will meet a legal challenge if he is the nominee. This also means, people voting for him in the primaries and caucusing for him may well just be wasting their effort, better spent on Carson, an honest Christian.

There are a lot of things about Cruz that are repulsive to a LOT of people, as you know. I had known from the minute that I saw his face on the internet that there was something just not right, some evil. He has been showing his true colors lately.

I would vote for Hillary, as would many others, if Cruz is the GOP nominee. I am sure a lot of the feed on Cruz becoming the nominee for the GOP is nothing more than a Democratic dream.
What "legal challenge"? He is 100% qualified. There is no challenge. This has been covered thoroughly by lawyers like Mark Levin, and Andrew Napolitano. His mother is a U.S. Citizen, and both parents lived in the United States for sufficient time. There is no issue. But those who hate Cruz are hoping it is an issue.

These same people probably scoffed when people questioned Obama's eligibility.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:18 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,301,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Ted Cruz? Music to my ears!

There already are multiple challenges in courts. What's another few.

Mick
There are?

Old 02-16-2016, 09:35 AM

4,814 posts, read 3,843,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Mary Matalin and James Carville, an "odd couple" politically speaking if ever there was one, spoke yesterday to offer their predictions about who the party nominees will be.

They both agree that the Republican nominee will be Ted Cruz. For the Democrats, Carville is working for Hillary, so of course he thinks she will win. Matalin believes the Democrats will nominate someone not currently in the race.

It is interesting that they both believe Ted Cruz will be the nominee on the Republican side, especially in light of the polls. Of course as Carville stated above, the political pundits have pretty well humiliated themselves across the board this time around, and there is more that is required to win a nomination than just leading in the polls or just being "first past the post" in the primary contests.

The nominee need 50% +1 delegates to win and nobody has a clear shot to that on the Republican side right now. With all the factors that come into play, Matalin and Carville are predicting Cruz for the win.
James Carville came out with an assessment on Ted Cruz when speaking to George Stephanopoulos - May 2013:

Quote:
I think he is the most talented and fearless Republican politician I’ve seen in the last 30 years. I further think that he’s going to run for president and he is going to create something. I’m not sitting here saying he’s going to win, and I think Senator DeMint is right. I’ve listened to excerpts of his speech in South Carolina. He touches every button, and this guy has no fear. He just keeps plowing ahead. And he is going to be something to watch.

And a lot of Republicans feel this way, George, and you hear this a lot: "If we only got someone who was articulate and was for what we were for, we would win elections. And we get these John McCains and these Mitt Romneys and these squishy guys that can’t do anything." Well, there’s one thing this guy is not - he ain’t squishy, not in the least.

Ted Cruz is going to eat their lunch. That guy, I’m telling you, he will out debate. I am just saying, he is a talent. I’m not rooting. I’m really sincere here. We watch him, he does things, I mean when he started talking about William Travis in South Carolina and the Alamo, this is a guy, and you go, "This guy is something." Now I don’t agree with him. I think he’s out there. But I’m telling you, he’s more talented than all of these other guys.

Carville Praises Cruz: "Most Talented And Fearless Republican Politician I've Seen In The Last 30 Years" | Video | RealClearPolitics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections