Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 05:24 PM

22,473 posts, read 11,998,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
There are unskilled American laborers who can't get work. Those H2b visas help keep the unskilled labor wages low. I realize we are not discussing huge numbers, but it all adds up.
Just to be clear, "this month" in the article was referring to the summer of 2015. As in, while he was running around screeching about how awful this is, how it steals American jobs, preaching against it. Trump is the king of hypocrisy.

I fail to understand how someone who contributed in a committee to write a bill, that he now says is not passable, is worse than someone who hires those workers while saying we need to do something to end them. Why are there such lower standards for Trump than other candidates? Help me out here, did Rubio lead a bill to move jobs to China and Mexico? Because, that is another thing Trump ranted about but is one of the people who does it.
Don't kid yourself. If Rubio thought the so-called "immigration reform" bill wasn't passable, then why did he continue to actively work on it? Why didn't he just walk away from it? Instead, he remained an active member of the gang of 8. Now when he is called out on it, he starts dodging and weaving, lying and saying that he wasn't an active member---which Chuck Schumer called him out on his lie.

The problem is that Americans want to work year round. They aren't interested in seasonal labor---especially if they don't live nearby. For example, at one time amusement parks and local swimming pools used to be open Memorial Day to Labor Day. With that kind of schedule, they would attract high school and college kids to those jobs. Now these venues open well before Memorial Day and stay open well after Labor Day. Taking such jobs and working full-time is impossible for high school kids and darn near impossible for college kids.

I get it, you support Rubio no matter what. That's your prerogative.

I could never stomach him as he is a liar who will say and do whatever his mega-rich donors want---the heck with his constituents. His lack of concern was proven when he remained silent over what Disney did to its American tech workers. If Rubio had at least "evolved" on his stance of increased H1-Bs and said he sees the devastation this visa program has caused, it would be one thing. However, he still keeps pushing for more H1-Bs---and that, IMO, is despicable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 05:59 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Don't kid yourself. If Rubio thought the so-called "immigration reform" bill wasn't passable, then why did he continue to actively work on it? Why didn't he just walk away from it? Instead, he remained an active member of the gang of 8. Now when he is called out on it, he starts dodging and weaving, lying and saying that he wasn't an active member---which Chuck Schumer called him out on his lie.

The problem is that Americans want to work year round. They aren't interested in seasonal labor---especially if they don't live nearby. For example, at one time amusement parks and local swimming pools used to be open Memorial Day to Labor Day. With that kind of schedule, they would attract high school and college kids to those jobs. Now these venues open well before Memorial Day and stay open well after Labor Day. Taking such jobs and working full-time is impossible for high school kids and darn near impossible for college kids.

I get it, you support Rubio no matter what. That's your prerogative.

I could never stomach him as he is a liar who will say and do whatever his mega-rich donors want---the heck with his constituents. His lack of concern was proven when he remained silent over what Disney did to its American tech workers. If Rubio had at least "evolved" on his stance of increased H1-Bs and said he sees the devastation this visa program has caused, it would be one thing. However, he still keeps pushing for more H1-Bs---and that, IMO, is despicable.
He isn't the one employing them.

I was a Rand Paul girl, now that he's gone I will settle for whichever establishment candidate emerges. I would vote for Cruz, if that is who ends up with the nomination. I will never, ever vote for Trump. Never. So no, you don't get it. See I'm more of anti-Trump voter than a pro- whoever is left voter, which now pretty reliably looks like Rubio.

It drives me batty how much Trump's followers blindly follow him or alibi him out when faced with undeniable evidence that he is not who he says he is. But, then anything, large or small, to call into question their stance, by another candidate, is treated as a monumental flaw and proof of their treachery. As far as I am concerned, Trump is a Trojan horse.

Old 02-20-2016, 06:48 PM

Quote:
He isn't the one employing them.

I was a Rand Paul girl, now that he's gone I will settle for whichever establishment candidate emerges. I would vote for Cruz, if that is who ends up with the nomination. I will never, ever vote for Trump. Never. So no, you don't get it. See I'm more of anti-Trump voter than a pro- whoever is left voter, which now pretty reliably looks like Rubio.

It drives me batty how much Trump's followers blindly follow him or alibi him out when faced with undeniable evidence that he is not who he says he is. But, then anything, large or small, to call into question their stance, by another candidate, is treated as a monumental flaw and proof of their treachery. As far as I am concerned, Trump is a Trojan horse.
I am well aware that Trump has his flaws. Name one candidate that doesn't. However, Trump is shining a light in dark corners and addressing the elephant sitting in the room. He is not beholden to his mega-rich donors like most of the other candidates on both sides of the aisle. Candidates who are beholden to their mega-rich donors put those donors ahead of their constituents. They either tell their constituents what they want to hear or they use weasel words to dance around the subject.

No, Rubio isn't personally employing H1-Bs. However, that does not excuse him from pushing for more H1-Bs when that visa has been corrupted to the point where it is being deliberately used to displace Americans in the work force. Try putting yourself in the shoes of the thousands of Americans over the recent years who were told that they were being laid off and replaced with H1-Bs. Then to add insult to injury, they are told that if they want a severance package, they have to train their replacements. I have friends and family who work in IT so I've seen up close and personal just how hard it has been for them. So many Indians who came on H1-Bs, then later got green cards and are now in a position where they hire people, blatantly discriminate against non-Indians.

How anyone on either side of the aisle can support increasing H1-Bs when we have American citizen STEM/IT workers who can't find work while H1-Bs hold jobs, is beyond me.

I never said that you would vote for Trump. If he is the nominee, you will either vote dem or third party, correct?

Old 02-20-2016, 06:53 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
I am well aware that Trump has his flaws. Name one candidate that doesn't. However, Trump is shining a light in dark corners and addressing the elephant sitting in the room. He is not beholden to his mega-rich donors like most of the other candidates on both sides of the aisle. Candidates who are beholden to their mega-rich donors put those donors ahead of their constituents. They either tell their constituents what they want to hear or they use weasel words to dance around the subject.
What in the heck do you think Trump is doing?
Quote:
I never said that you would vote for Trump. If he is the nominee, you will either vote dem or third party, correct?
Probably 3rd party, most likely Libertarian.

Old 02-20-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
What in the heck do you think Trump is doing?

Probably 3rd party, most likely Libertarian.
Oh, let me see...He hasn't danced around getting the wall on the southern border. Nor has he danced around the fact that illegals need to leave this country. He has been consulting with Jeff Sessions as to what needs to be done about the H1-B problem. Just to name a few things.

Old 02-20-2016, 08:51 PM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Sure, candidates are allowed to "evolve".

However, with Rubio, there is a pattern. When he was running for senate, he said he was against amnesty and that garnered him many votes. Once in office, he joined the Gang of 8 and came up with that so-called nightmare of an "immigration reform" bill which had provisions in it that would hurt Americans. And, yes, it had a provision to amnesty gang members as long as the members said that they quit the gang. Now that Rubio is running for president, he has tried to distance himself from the whole thing. It took Chuck Schumer calling him out to expose Rubio's involvement with this disaster. So, now Rubio is once again saying that he is against amnesty. What happens if he gets elected? Since there appears to be a very distinct pattern here, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if he starts promoting amnesty once again.

This goes beyond "evolving". It comes across as a very calculating form of deceit.

We have to be careful of any candidate who says they oppose amnesty because they are usually in favor of some so-called reform which is the same thing as amnesty. They like to put a spin on their words so they can hide behind what they really mean and want. I think Rubio is one of those candidates doing that.

Old 02-20-2016, 09:36 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,905,231 times
Quote:
Not necessarily. At least once he saw it was a problem he didn't insist on getting it passed anyway. I want some flexibility in a president, sometimes being a leader is accepting that what you want is less important than doing what those you lead need.

Honestly, if a candidate is willing to commit themselves to rescinding the amnesty-friendly executive orders, strip sanctuary cities of their funding, allow border states to protect those borders, and direct their Department of Justice to enforce the laws already on the books, I think it would take care of the bulk of the immigration issues and I am good with their stance on amnesty.
He DID insist on getting it passed. It was defeated in the House DESPITE his efforts.
Now he is just rewriting history....or trying to.

Old 02-20-2016, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
I listened to the Tim Scott interview when he endorsed Rubio. He said the Gang of 8 was one of his biggest concerns about Rubio in the past. Scott interviewed every Republican candidate and said he would only endorse someone if they were "head and shoulders" above the rest. After interviewing Rubio for hours and talking to him a lot since then, Scott truly believes that Rubio knows that the Gang of 8 was a mistake. And that any immigration policy has to start with controlling out borders. Immigration was my main concern about Rubio, and after hearing the Tim Scott endorsement interview, I was sold. I'm planning to go to a Rubio rally here tomorrow to hear him in person.
It seems you will believe anything??
Scott is just saying the Establishment line. It's all about the Establishment versus the anti-Establishment.

Old 02-20-2016, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
My, someone is very scared of Rubio to run a smear piece like this.
LOL
Even with EVERY South Carolina Establishment figure on his side, Rubio could do no better than tie for second.
I don't think there is a soul out there who is scared of Rubio.

Old 02-20-2016, 09:42 PM

Quote:
So what does that make Trump, who has changed his stance on some things from one day to another?

Trump vs Trump
Donald Trump flip flops
Hilarious Colbert Trump v Trump
Trump is a bit of a clown (but a good clown!)
But with Rubio, it is pure, good old-fashioned, cold, hard political deceit of the highest kind.
He is headed for the Hack Hall of Fame.

I am so glad that in a short year, two or three, there will BE no more GOP. And I won't have to share the same party with those who would support a Rubio. They can have their modern-day Whig Party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections