Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 12:19 PM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
So what you're basically saying is that Trump, despite all his bluster and bloviating, is actually powerless when it comes to controlling his own businesses? That someone else is responsible for how and where his clothing lines are manufactured, and someone else is responsible for hiring illegals at the businesses he owns?

Basically what you're saying is that with Trump, the buck stops anywhere but at the top.
I could swear we just spent the last 7 years with someone in the White House who who operated on that philosophy. I thought we wanted change, did I get that wrong? Because that isn't change, unless "Hope and Change" is a code phrase for "Pass the Buck."

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
How is he going to "make America great again" when he can't even exert control over his own enterprises?
Excellent question.

Old 02-26-2016, 12:21 PM

3,827 posts, read 1,780,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Sure. So, gosh, explain it to my little ignorant soul. I really want to know how shipping jobs to Mexico, China, and Bangladesh, which Trump CURRENTLY does, improves the economy. While you are at it, please explain how hiring illegal immigrants or using contractors that hire them, which Trump was doing in downtown DC AFTER he entered the race and ranted about illegal immigrants, improves work opportunities for Americans. I'm too dumb to understand, because I thought those things helped CEOs get lots and lots of money but hurt our economy and American workers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 12:23 PM

988 posts, read 682,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Trump will not be able to back off his plans to make businesses come back to the US. They either do what he says and pay lower taxes (lower the tax rate to 10% less China's for example) for an incentive or he makes it expensive to bring goods made abroad brought back into the country.
The problem is that we have given up the ability to make decisions like this unilaterally through membership in trade agreements. At least in theory. We could always break the agreements and go back on our word, but that opens up other cans of worms. That's why these agreements were such an awful idea. I thought H. Ross Perot was an addled old crank when he talked about that "giant sucking sound," but he turned out to be right.

Old 02-26-2016, 12:25 PM

25,940 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Exactly, Trump can include clauses in his contracts that all manufacturing be done in the USA and that his contractors and sub-contractors (manufacturing and golf courses/hotels) only hire legal US residents... but he doesn't.
First, have you been contacting the elected officials in your state demanding that ALL jobs be verified. Are you selecting candidates that support e-verify for all jobs?

Most of the people that use contractors do not micro-manage and check on the employees hired. With e-verify in place for all jobs, this will fix itself. Trump was using seasonal help coming in on temp visas, and he explained that.

Keep in mind that those not pushing for e-verify for all jobs are a part of the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
Why are you always so insulting when people disagree with you?
Tired of the "uneducated" and/or lazy anti-Trumps that won't look up the information themselves. They are constantly being critical and insulting toward Trump supporters yet most claim no candidate for themselves.
We post link after link and someone jumps in 3 pages in not reading anything and restates the OP's original question.

It isn't a matter of "disagreeing" but simply that they don't bother to do anything other than repeat the question even though it has been addressed. I hope that helps you understand. Thanks for asking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Los Angeles has tons of garment manufacturers. There is NO reason Trump can't make his products here except for the fact that it's cheaper to produce them overseas. If he didn't blame it on currency manipulation, he'd blame it on something else.

Trump is a huge hypocrite. I hope Republicans select him because I'm voting for Hillary.
Can you give me some names so I can run them here: https://www.uscis.gov/e-verify/about...rs-search-tool Let's see how many have illegal labor.

Google:

Garment Industry Follows Threads Of Immigration Overhaul : NPR
http://www.verite.org/sites/default/...nt_Workers.pdf
Southern California is hotbed for wage theft in garment industry - LA Times
Sweatshop Conditions in L.A.'s Garment Industry | Al Jazeera America

Old 02-26-2016, 12:34 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,458,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Trump was using seasonal help coming in on temp visas, and he explained that.
Trump is using H2B visas - similar to H1B visas. We should be cutting back on both and hiring Americans.

Old 02-26-2016, 12:42 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FurPan View Post
Donald Trump took some heat last fall, after he announced his candidacy, over the fact that his signature apparel line is manufactured in China (neckties), Bangladesh (dress shirts), and Mexico (suits). Marco Rubio raised the issue again at the 25 February CNN debate. Thinking about it, I’m surprised it hasn’t been more of an issue all along.

This subject has been brought to Trump’s attention for several years now, and his response is generally about how China manipulates its currency to make it hard to produce in the United States. But this really doesn’t answer the question, and other comments and actions speak quite loudly that Trump isn’t particularly serious in his rhetoric about his commitment to American jobs and manufacturing.

When David Letterman confronted Trump about dress shirts made in Bangladesh in October 2012, before he was running for President, his immediate answer was:

“It’s good. We employ people in Bangladesh. It’s good. They have to work, too.”

Letterman suggested that instead of making clothing overseas, he should build a factory in Jamaica, Queens, and Trump said “I love it. I’m for it.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov2S-mSzFyo

Needless to say, there’s no Trump apparel factory in Jamaica, Queens or anywhere else in the U.S. in 2016. And Trump still outsources manufacturing of his clothing line abroad. In October 2015, after Trump announced his candidacy, Fox News’ Chris Wallace brought up the subject and this was Trump’s answer:

“I never dispute that. I put it in my speeches. I say it -- the ties are made in China and different things. I don't want that. I just ordered 4,000 television sets. You know where they come from? South Korea…I don't want to order them from South Korea. I don't think anybody makes television sets in the United States anymore. I don't want to order from South Korea. I want to order from here. I talk about it all the time. We don’t make anything anymore.”

This was an interesting deflection, as Trump doesn’t make TV sets but he does make apparel and can control where he makes it.

The fact is, there are plenty of American companies making men’s apparel in the U.S. There are at least twenty lines of neckties that are American made.

It’s true that silk neckties (for example) are more expensive from those companies: Trump’s line averages at $60 per tie, compared to $80 for comparable-quality ties by J.Z. Richards and $100 by Robert Graham. But if Trump is truly as angry as he purports to be about loss of American jobs overseas, why wouldn’t he give business to American manufacturers, which would at the very worst make his ties comparable in price to his American-made competitors?

In the above-linked interview with Letterman, Trump boasted that his ties were the best-selling in the world. Isn’t some of that because he’s undercutting principled American companies who choose to make in America?

And perhaps more poignantly, why does Trump—with all of his other businesses—feel he has to have a signature apparel line in the first place? If he doesn’t like that he has to manufacture abroad, why do it at all, or why not support American manufacturing instead of undermining it, when apparel isn’t his bread and butter anyway?

Can a Trump supporter on this forum explain why contradictions like this don’t affect their belief that Trump cares so deeply about American jobs and manufacturing? Try as I might, I can’t connect the dots.
I'm going to make this short and sweet. No, a trump supporter can't explain these contradictions; at least not in any comprehensive way.

Short answer - they simply do not care because they believe he is a messiah come to save them from themselves.

Old 02-26-2016, 12:54 PM

25,940 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Trump is using H2B visas - similar to H1B visas. We should be cutting back on both and hiring Americans.
Trump actually explained that one to my satisfaction. There was a separate discussion of this yesterday and someone in FL pointed out that one area had a high unemployment rate. I googled for that area and it turns out the people out of work are the illegals that fled AL. So, if he hired them, what he was doing would have been against the law. I am sure it is not easy in FL to get service workers that are legal. Once the illegals start to dominate, no other workers are really welcome.

Trump is darned if he does and darned if he doesn't. It doesn't seem to make much difference.

They use illegal labor here in KS and replace American workers with them. E-verify is the solution and with fines and jail time for employers that engage in hiring illegals. A lot of the manufacturing hire through temp agencies to keep their hands "clean". They used to do raids but that stopped with Obama.

So, at least, the workers were here legally that Trump was using. I bet you can't say that about many of the other employers in the service industry in FL. From the good old days, 1990: http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/199...ns-mike-sheehy

Old 02-26-2016, 02:00 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,440,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
The only person who has said that is Trump. I cannot find any other polls, surveys, etc. that support that claim. From where does your shocking information come? The logic does not make sense--Sanders supporters are very liberal. Trump, despite far righties' claims is not spouting anything very liberal.
I support Bernie but Trump is my second choice. I'm less likely to get off my butt to go vote for him, but I'd root for him over Hillary. It's like the poster said, it's less about liberal vs. conservative and more about taking on the Establishment.

Old 02-26-2016, 02:43 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,165,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post

Can you give me some names so I can run them here: https://www.uscis.gov/e-verify/about...rs-search-tool Let's see how many have illegal labor.
You can't look them up for yourself? You managed to find news stories on Google just fine. Try Googling "clothing manufacturers Los Angeles"

Old 02-26-2016, 02:51 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
I support Bernie but Trump is my second choice. I'm less likely to get off my butt to go vote for him, but I'd root for him over Hillary. It's like the poster said, it's less about liberal vs. conservative and more about taking on the Establishment.
Donald Trump is the establishment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections