Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 04:10 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,010,195 times

Advertisements

Uh, the rest of the English-speaking world uses the Webster's or Oxford dictionary. Shoot, I got written up for "inappropriate slang" when I was a teacher because an assistant principal overheard me saying "I screwed up" once at an after-school meeting and I surely didn't use it in the sexual manner.

It's called being professional and I accepted that even though it was a casual conversation, I shouldn't have used that phrase. The media doesn't like to take responsibility even though they're supposedly "professional communicators.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 04:21 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,587,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
Gosh, finally someone from a liberal media outlet gets into trouble and its big news.

No reason for him being suspended or fired. Keith Oberdork and Chrissy Mattchews say far worse things then that. Oberdork should be banned from any media as he is a total fruitfake who was fired from ESPN.

Maybe its the truth, maybe she is pimping for them. Whats wrong with that?

Why isn't Chelsea in Iraq?
MSNBC has become the news channel of last discourse. Keith Overbite, Christine Matthews and Tucker "Bow-tie" Carlson have found a home, next stop, your local access channel. BTW, whatever happened to that blond talking head from the Fox Noise Channel with the brothel voice? Speaking of Fox Noise, has anyone noticed that all their on-air female talking heads, except Janice Dean the meteorologist, are always attired in short skirts and are always staged with ample leg shots? But then again, Fox Noise has the hottest on-air female talking heads. And the male talking heads are all top shelf, especially Shepard Smith.

Old 02-09-2008, 04:35 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,587,363 times
Default Originally Posted by teatime

Quote:
When women who work are described as "being pimped," women are routinely referred to as b&&*hes and "hos" by supposedly educated, professional men on TV, it tells us that it's perfectly OK to refer to all women as dogs and prostitutes. Black women are especially targeted by these horrible names and they are rightly speaking up but it is unacceptable to use these terms for any woman. If some jackass on TV said my daughter was "being pimped," I would be outraged, as I am whenever I hear of anyone else's daughter being described thusly.
With all due respect, I suggest that you listen to some black rap and hip-hop tracks. The vernacular is from the hood and is used in everyday life. Society can't have it both ways. Do we parse out certain ethnicities and decide what is acceptable and unacceptable verbiage? This is like icing both sides of the cake and trying to cut out the middle without disturbing either side of the cake. Not possible.

Old 02-09-2008, 04:43 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
With all due respect, I suggest that you listen to some black rap and hip-hop tracks. The vernacular is from the hood and is used in everyday life. Society can't have it both ways. Do we parse out certain ethnicities and decide what is acceptable and unacceptable verbiage? This is like icing both sides of the cake and trying to cut out the middle without disturbing either side of the cake. Not possible.
Gotta love it!

Old 02-09-2008, 05:00 PM

955 posts, read 2,157,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
it is extremely distateful to say that your child is being pimped out when they campaign for you! shame on the media! that was an unacceptable comment and i don't care who is running!
I continue to read about all of these "shame on the media" comments. This was a statement made by one very partisan Democratic supporter. This hardly shames the media as a whole. What should happen is exactly the same as happened when Don Imus made his unfortunate comment about a young lady - the person in question should be fired.

Old 02-09-2008, 05:03 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
Quote:
i am not from the hood, i won't be listening to some black rap and hip-hop tracks, and certainly do not appreciate the vernacular. are you saying that i just have to get used to it because the alternative is not possible, or because your free speech supercedes my right not to have to listen to it?

Old 02-09-2008, 05:08 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,010,195 times
Quote:
Oh, believe me, I've heard the rap and hip-hop lyrics. I'm glad that the black community has taken a vociferous stand on this issue, complete with protests at their record labels.

But that's a subculture. Professional communicators (and professionals in general) do not use the language of a subculture ostensibly, so it's no excuse. For your argument to have validity, the media would have to use other words of the rap or "urban" lexicon without discrimination. They don't. Homes are still called homes and not "cribs;" friends or associates are not called "homeys."

Nope, they just choose to use the rap lexicon when it comes to women. And that's discrimination, pure and simple. Again, if they said Obama was pimping out Michelle, there would have been an incredible furor, complete with riots.

Old 02-09-2008, 05:10 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,780 times
I agree.

Although conceptually what he said is right on target, his choice of verbage is in this instance unfortunate.

Old 02-09-2008, 05:16 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,208,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I remember when Chelsea was routinely the butt of jokes by the MSM when she lived in the white house. And even then, her parents immediately chastised whoever made fun of her, I remember the Saturday Night Live skit in particular. Back then, she was a gawky teenager and should have been defended. But now she's an almost 30 year old woman and while I commend them for pouncing when their baby is being made fun of, Chelsea should speak for herself at this point in her life. This is classic only child syndrome. I can guarantee you that if Chelsea had brothers or sisters, Bill and Hill would make Chelsea defend herself.
I have a grown daughter and if this happened to her
I would be all over them
it does not matter the age of your child
what bothers me is how many women seem to think it no big deal
why? because it was Hillary's daughter
sad
really really sad
and then all of Obama's supporters say one of the reasons they love him so much is that he wants "unity"
right

Old 02-09-2008, 05:30 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,413 times
David Shuster's comments illustrate how immature many in our society are when it comes to the regarding of leaders who happen to be of the minority gender and/or race. Clearly, Mr. Shuster doesn't get out much. If he did, he'd have already known that using such slang--just because there happens to be a woman or a Black person at the heart of the issues--indicates that he doesn't venture too far outside of his own circles.

As much as Hillary and Bill Clinton disgust me, I think that she's right to call foul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections