U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 11:06 AM

10,577 posts, read 7,269,557 times

Advertisements

At this point, there are two possibilities for the Republican nomination for President:

*Trump wins the nomination outright, or
*Brokered convention

By staying in the race, Rubio and Cruz and Kasich all grab at least a portion of the non-trump part of the pie that may well turn out to be more than Trump's piece. Result: brokered convention, where even 5% of all delegates might be enough to make even Kasich the kingmaker.

Think they're going to throw that away? Don't bet on it!

The is a classic case of the Tragedy of the Commons. Together, they could unite to stop Trump. But that would require at least two of the three to give a rat's rump about the greater good. Instead, they all greedily push their own interests at the expense of the party.

PS:
No, sorry Ben Carson. You are the one remaining candidate who is completely irrelevant at this point (but you'll stay in, because you're just pretending to run for President in order to sell copies of your book and make you a lucrative speech-giver, though why anyone wants to hear your incoherent political ramblings is beyond me).

PPS:
As a bemused liberal observer of the conservative dumpster fire, all I can say is that Republican Survivor is by far the most entertaining Trump reality show yet!

Last edited by Oldhag1; 02-27-2016 at 11:43 AM.. Reason: Copyright violation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 11:42 AM

44,940 posts, read 17,878,270 times
The problem with this theory is this.

I requires the delegate fairy to show up and actually cause people to start voting for these jokers to the point where they start to win states. If they don't, then they will be devastated by their losses in winner take all states.

So if they can't do this now, why would anyone think it will happen later?

Old 02-27-2016, 11:45 AM

14,724 posts, read 10,613,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
The problem with this theory is this.

I requires the delegate fairy to show up and actually cause people to start voting for these jokers to the point where they start to win states. If they don't, then they will be devastated by their losses in winner take all states.

So if they can't do this now, why would anyone think it will happen later?
Waiting for Trump fatigue. One can always hope, after all.

Old 02-27-2016, 11:47 AM

2,798 posts, read 3,671,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post

*T PPS:
Republican Survivor is by far the most entertaining Trump reality show yet!
Well we can agree on this point! Donald Trump.....bringing people together

Old 02-27-2016, 11:55 AM

13,191 posts, read 6,301,958 times
Carson stays to annoy Cruz. I'm sure Cruz is seething under his Christian breath.

Old 02-27-2016, 12:01 PM

9,984 posts, read 6,758,066 times
Trump will have the lion's share of the delegates.
Most likely, he clears 1,237. If he doesn't, the "other"
Republicans can decide if they want to implode the party,
which will destroy it, or remit to Trump the few he would need.
It would require complete and total collusion among all other
candidates and delegates to elect someone other than the
candidate with the most delegates.
The GOP would die. They would lose the House and Senate.
Trump would run 3rd party independent and beat the Republican.

Old 02-27-2016, 12:01 PM

21,155 posts, read 11,754,604 times
I thought this was a good article about delegate math, and how it's still not a clear shot for Trump, even with winner take all coming into play. Yes, at some point, he could wrap it up, but there are still a lot of scenarios out there.

How Tricky Delegate Math Will Decide the Republican Nomination - Fortune

Old 02-27-2016, 12:06 PM

6,953 posts, read 4,418,578 times
Quote:
At this point, there are two possibilities for the Republican nomination for President:

*Brokered convention

By staying in the race, Rubio and Cruz and Kasich all grab at least a portion of the non-trump part of the pie that may well turn out to be more than Trump's piece. Result: brokered convention, where even 5% of all delegates might be enough to make even Kasich the kingmaker.

The new theory is they all stay in minus Carson. just like you say. Then the hope is a brokered convention and getting to the 2nd and maybe 3 round where the delegates are no longer committed. Of course they will all get a chance to plead their case to the delegates and maybe a couple of times. I would love to see a brokered convention where anything could happened.

Old 02-27-2016, 12:07 PM

1,125 posts, read 504,497 times
He can always run as an independent...he will say the people want me to so I'll do it. The whole process is a scam...look at the super delegates awarded to Hillary vs Bernie. The parties have too much power, and Trump said many times, if they don't treat me fairly, I won't honor my pledge. Giving the nomination to Kasich and his 5% support isn't fair

Old 02-27-2016, 12:32 PM

29,986 posts, read 16,580,107 times
Quote:

*Brokered convention

The is a classic case of the Tragedy of the Commons. Together, they could unite to stop Trump. But that would require at least two of the three to give a rat's rump about the greater good. Instead, they all greedily push their own interests at the expense of the party.

PS:
No, sorry Ben Carson. You are the one remaining candidate who is completely irrelevant at this point (but you'll stay in, because you're just pretending to run for President in order to sell copies of your book and make you a lucrative speech-giver, though why anyone wants to hear your incoherent political ramblings is beyond me).

PPS:
As a bemused liberal observer of the conservative dumpster fire, all I can say is that Republican Survivor is by far the most entertaining Trump reality show yet!
I heard the Republican back-room dealmakers are totally furious with Kasich for refusing to drop out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or