Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 04:55 AM

7,185 posts, read 3,699,096 times

Advertisements

So, if trump did get elected, how well would it work out? Would he be forced to resort to EOs, which are currently decried as obama killing the constitution, and would result in the same sinking of popularity for him as for every prez who has used them in an unpopular way. He will definitely discover that he can't single handedly renegotiate everything.

Would congress work with him after he fractured the GOP? (Related question - would the folks who are so 'angry' at 'the party' and/or 'the government' actually vote out their own reps at the same time?)

How many of the things he says he wants to do are actually do-able? How much would it cost to deport 11 million folks and build up the military? How much higher will the national debt be able to go?

What would happen to the economy if he managed to get congress to institute some of the protectionist tariffs, etc., that he wants? Will the average American be able to afford food or other goods? Will he be able to force companies to return to the US? Will he create jobs - good jobs, not bottom-rung jobs?

The article in the link does have a bias, but also raises some pertinent questions about how it might work if he is elected. I hope y'all read it completely before assuming it is just another smear piece and doing a knee-jerk response saying it is bashing trump.

How might a Trump presidency work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 05:20 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,114,988 times
Mr. Trump is a get it done kinda guy, as we know. I gotta assume that it will be all about Executive Orders and lawsuits, because who is he going to work with in Congress after bashing the establishment Republicans. I have a feeling that Ted Cruz, Lindsay Graham, Rand Paul, et al will be filibustering with glee, not to mention Mitch McConnell not bringing up bills.

I can definitely see Congress authorizing building the wall . . . . if Mexico pays for it. On one hand, Republican constituents will insist on building it and the Congressmen would have to go along with the idea, but you know how Republicans are . . .. they would want it to be "paid for" so unless Mexico pays for it (yeah, okay), they would have to cut $24 billion over 5 or 10 years from the other parts of budget, from entitlements, infrastructure, farm aid (kidding, trying to see if you are paying attention). That triggers a Democratic filibuster, of course. The bill stalls. Mr. Trump is so upset that his face turns . .. . . what is orange plus red? Brown?

Mick

Old 02-29-2016, 05:29 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
I can't see him winning vs Dems at this point. But if he does win, his presidency will be like Trump U. I'd expect his promises go unfulfilled. I can already imagine the finger pointing, name calling, personal attacks.......and that's just the content of Trump's inauguration speech. Downhill from that point forward.

Old 02-29-2016, 05:31 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,114,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I can't see him winning vs Dems at this point. But like Trump U, I'd expect his promises go unfulfilled. I can already imagine the finger pointing, name calling, personal attacks.......and that's just Trump'so inauguration speech. Downhill from that point forward.
Are people going to see where he would be pointing? I hear he has very stubby fingers.

Rubio attacks Trump

Mick

Old 02-29-2016, 05:41 AM

25,958 posts, read 22,107,325 times
Trump is the master of negotiations so it would be awesome. He understands "give and take". OP really needs to learn more about Trump and his background and from something other than liberal media.

Old 02-29-2016, 05:44 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,364,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
What would happen to the economy if he managed to get congress to institute some of the protectionist tariffs, etc., that he wants? Will the average American be able to afford food or other goods? Will he be able to force companies to return to the US? Will he create jobs - good jobs, not bottom-rung jobs.
Trump would never get congress to vote for his tariffs and the only way I see him pulling it off is to claim trade a national security issue and as commander in chief he imposes tariffs by EO. IMO this is not how to bring corporations back to the U S because it is by force. Plus, tariff one country and the corporations will find a place with cheap labor and set up shop there.

It would hurt American consumers big time and cause price inflation because of the price of the tariff would be passed along to them. So how does this exactly hurt corporations? This a bad policy but I would still root for Trump to renegotiate our trade agreements but do not support his tariff idea.

Instead of bullying the corporations with threats of tariffs I would prefer Trump to lure them back by reforming the tax code. Christie who Trump is hanging around with now has proposed a one time tax of 8 % to lure all that off shore money to return to the U S. I would take it further and give the corporations 5 years and then boost them up to 10% after with no write offs what so ever.

I know it looks like I am shilling for the corporations but reality is our present tax drives them away and at the same time they influence our leaders with bribes for favorable legislation. Put them all in the same boat and there would be no need for them to lobby and bribe our elected officials. Plus, the Sanders and the left approach is worst where they want to tax everything more which would drive up inflation and cause more corporations to flee.

Old 02-29-2016, 06:14 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
So, if trump did get elected, how well would it work out? Would he be forced to resort to EOs, which are currently decried as obama killing the constitution, and would result in the same sinking of popularity for him as for every prez who has used them in an unpopular way. He will definitely discover that he can't single handedly renegotiate everything.
Easy answer - The Bully Pulpit

At one time people tried to make the case that actor from "Bedtime for Bonzo", wasn't qualified to be President, nor could he control congress. Ronald Reagan proved them wrong time & time again.

Similarly, Trump will do just like Ronald Reagan who mercilessly whipped the uncooperative Democrats and some Republican by using the Bully Pulpit to convince the people to do his arguing for him. Likewise Trump is a master of using the media to get his message out, and this is how he will handle congress to do his bidding. Weak presidents like Obama & Bush don't have the personality to pull this off, Trump does.

Members of congress will be scared to death of him.

Old 02-29-2016, 06:15 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Trump is a businessman. He makes money being effective and efficient. That's the problem with government types. They aren't profit driven. He has already pointed out that the military has all of this sh** they don't need or want instead of the stuff they do need and want simply because the jugheads make sure their "friends" get contracts. He wants to run the country like a business so we, as a country, have the things we need and want.

Look, I worked in the government for 34 years, 12 in DC. The feds aren't profit driven. They always ask for more than they need when they submit their budgets. They get money from Congress and if they don't spend it all by the end of the fiscal year, they won't get the same amount or more the following year. That's when they go on end of fiscal year spending sprees to make sure they used the money they got. That's just stupid! If they were in business do you think they would do something that reckless with their own money?

For the 7th time, I'll post how Trump is going to make Mexico pay for the wall but this time it's to point out that unlike politicians who think the only way to generate money is to raise taxes, a businessman (or woman) thinks outside the box. This is for the incredulous Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz lawyer types of the world who think Mexico paying for the Wall means the head of Mexico is going to pull out his wallet and hand Trump a big fat check or hand him a bag of money:

"Mexico must pay for the wall and, until they do, the United States will, among other things:

1) impound all remittance payments derived from illegal wages;

2) increase fees on all temporary visas issued to Mexican CEOs and diplomats (and if necessary cancel them);

3) increase fees on all border crossing cards – of which we issue about 1 million to Mexican nationals each year (a major source of visa overstays);

4) increase fees on all NAFTA worker visas from Mexico (another major source of overstays); and

5) increase fees at ports of entry to the United States from Mexico.

[Tariffs and foreign aid cuts are also options].

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/positio...gration-reform

And think of the money that can be saved and diverted to things we need if we weren't paying for illegals after they are here. One reason immigration laws were created in the first place was so American taxpayers wouldn't be burdened by a massive amount of poor people entering the country.

It's also like never dawning on the politicians to have the US tell countries that if you want our protection, you're going to have to pay for it.

Or, making these stupid deals where we get nothing in turn.

This is also why you have to stop sending lawyers to Capitol Hill.

Old 02-29-2016, 06:21 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,278,343 times
I doubt pretty much anything would get done. Democrats would likely take back both the House and Senate in 2018 and pass bills that aim at his more progressive points that he has made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Old 02-29-2016, 06:21 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,557,321 times
I think he can move the Congress in his direction.

These are just politicians and Donald can get them to work.

Also we can have best budgets of all time cause it'll be all about efficiency.

Donald will make them to earn their money.
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections