Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Donald trump destroy the Republican Party?
Yes 69 42.33%
No 94 57.67%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 08:38 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,395,122 times

Advertisements

BTW, as for whether a Trump Presidency will destroy the GOP, I don't think it will.

However, his presidency has and will change the tone, discourse, and definition of what the GOP stands for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 09:02 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Personally, I think that if Donald Trump becomes a Republican nominee you're going to see stuff happening to the Republican Party that you've only read about in 19th-century American history class. There will be internal warfare like nothing we've seen since the Whig's (another conservative party) imploded before the civil war.
The Republican Party will still be around, probably, but severely weakened and discreditted to the point that another conservative party could come along to replace or challenge them.

What irony that the Republican Party was formed to abolish slavery and defeat the south and now the south, on super Tuesday, has a chance to destroy the Republican Party once and for all, by a New York billionaire nonetheless
First, I figure Trump doesn't have a chance in the general election. The dislike of Trump among most voters who aren't Trumplets covers the entire political spectrum. One could say that Trump has united America in opposition to him.

Whether the Republican Party survives depends on whether or not Trump's candidacy also causes the Republicans to lose both houses of Congress. I don't think that's likely but it could happen. It's more likely the Dems will take the US Senate, where 24 Republican Senators are up for re-election, and shrink the Republican majority in the House of Reps. If the Reps lose the presidency and both houses of Congress, I can see either the "establishment/RINOs" or the Rightwingers forming their own party. The former have the money and the expertise but the latter have much of the Republican base.

The Trump candidacy might actually be good for the Republican Party and the country if he got beat so badly that it knocked some sense into the Republicans that they can't win national elections with extreme Right Wing positions, which was what almost all of the 2016 GOP hopefuls professed. I doubt that happens, though. The Republicans have been cultivating Right Wing ideology for more than three decades, so it's not going to be easy to move toward the center any time soon.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:03 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Default Will the Republican Party be destroyed if Donald Trump is the nominee?

The GOP will likely take bad loss in November whether it's Trump or Cruz. Neither is a decent candidate and neither has any appeal outside a narrow demographic. But it certainly won't destroy the GOP.

Who knows? Maybe this is what it will take to make them wake up and get out of bed with the lunatic religious right.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:09 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Personally, I think that if Donald Trump becomes a Republican nominee you're going to see stuff happening to the Republican Party that you've only read about in 19th-century American history class. There will be internal warfare like nothing we've seen since the Whig's (another conservative party) imploded before the civil war.
The Republican Party will still be around, probably, but severely weakened and discreditted to the point that another conservative party could come along to replace or challenge them.

What irony that the Republican Party was formed to abolish slavery and defeat the south and now the south, on super Tuesday, has a chance to destroy the Republican Party once and for all, by a New York billionaire nonetheless
Both the democrat and the republican party NEED TO BE DESTROYED, as both have abadoned the interests of the middle class in facor of illegals, minorities, and the lazy for the former and big business and the status quo for the latter.

The fact that our middle class and manufacturing have been destroyed by trade agreements that have slaughtered our economy, as well as blind support for Wall Street suggests that both parties have betrayed America and need to be replaced with different entities. Politicians are bought and sold by the highest bidder- that needs to change.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:23 AM

25,573 posts, read 17,281,298 times
The Dems have done a great job of painting the GOP as greedy control freaks, and those who don't really pay attention have bought into it. Trump won't stand for all that, and in that way I think he might help the GOP quite a bit.

Between Trump's willingness to engage in journalistic combat, and the fact that the Dems have only offered up old and tired people as candidates, it looks pretty good for Trump.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:32 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,751,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Both the democrat and the republican party NEED TO BE DESTROYED, as both have abadoned the interests of the middle class in facor of illegals, minorities, and the lazy for the former and big business and the status quo for the latter.

The fact that our middle class and manufacturing have been destroyed by trade agreements that have slaughtered our economy, as well as blind support for Wall Street suggests that both parties have betrayed America and need to be replaced with different entities. Politicians are bought and sold by the highest bidder- that needs to change.
This is exactly true! It's time for a revolution. I KNOW that Clinton will fail, I hope in my heart of hearts that Trump is up to the task.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:06 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,327,299 times
Quote:

The Republican party isn't being destroyed by Trump, the party is just being outnumbered by whites, blacks, Hispanics, Asians and etc., at the ballot box!

Old 03-20-2016, 11:08 AM

5,705 posts, read 3,671,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Not bad for an extreme Leftist. But consider that Trump is like an old school Democrat...he will lie and promise the moon during the election cycle knowing full well what he says will never be implemented.
I think old school Democrats are now called Republicans. At least old school southern Democrats. Same dog whistle politics and same United States of Alabama attitudes.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:14 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,115 times
I vote "no".
All republicans have a hand in making Trump. He is all of their ideologies wrapped up in one ugly package.
The winds of change are blowing. Younger generations aren't falling for the angry, Leave-it-to-Beaver repubs want for the USA. They are not buying into the 1950's for 2016. The republican party is dead now. I love watching the klown kar implode!
I will be happy as can be that Trump will get the nomination. It is one of the final nails in the stinking, rotten coffin of the republican party. Good riddance

Old 03-20-2016, 11:18 AM

5,705 posts, read 3,671,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
I vote "no".
All republicans have a hand in making Trump. He is all of their ideologies wrapped up in one ugly package.
The winds of change are blowing. Younger generations aren't falling for the angry, Leave-it-to-Beaver repubs want for the USA. They are not buying into the 1950's for 2016. The republican party is dead now. I love watching the klown kar implode!
I will be happy as can be that Trump will get the nomination. It is one of the final nails in the stinking, rotten coffin of the republican party. Good riddance
True but in a two party system anything can happen...which is pretty damn terrifying
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections