Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 10:57 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,898,012 times

Advertisements

I'm sure some of the supporters are the same people, but Sanders is very different then Obama. Sure he is promising all kinds of "free" goodies, but he does have some detailed plans as well. Obama hardly had any plans, even vague plans. His whole campaign was "hope and change". But in reality I don't feel much of any change since 2008. The US isn't any better, our foreign policies have changed little, I just see few changes at all.

I don't think any current candidate is similar to Obama in 2008. His campaign was so strange in that he hardly had any substance and he wasn't running on any issues, his followers followed him because they loved him for who he was, not for anything he wanted to do.

Trump is the opposite, I think most of his supporters don't really like him as a person, but he is running on a few key issues that are the issues of the day. Even if his plans on those issues are vague, his supporters are hopefully since he sees the problem, maybe he can come up with a solution. Most of the other candidates don't even see the problems we are facing as a nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 11:05 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Part of the tragedy of what happened in 2008 is that we ARE a consumer driven society and the whole ZIRP scenario makes that even worse. Nobody was saving money back then to provide a cushion for any downturn, and now we are at a point where saving money is the equivalent of losing money in most "safe" places.
Yep-and now negative interest rates may very well be on the way. But still, we won't hear a peep from some posters because we're "just jealous".

I am doing fine financially but I will continue to speak out on cronyism and corruption. What happened to letting winners win and losers lose? These banks/institutions FAILED miserably.

We did not need to keep in place and grow the financial power structure after the crash despite the threat of an apocalypse by Bernanke and corrupt banksters-it has done us far more harm than any good. The same banks deemed "too big to fail or jail" have now grown to control MORE of our economy. We are in an even more dangerous position today and provisions were put in place to again put the American people on the hook for the next crash. "Bail ins" are coming and it will come from my pocket and yours.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 03-01-2016 at 11:14 PM..

Old 03-01-2016, 11:07 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,958,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
They don't have to get ahead, they are ahead, before they even begin. By having a rational and logical philosophy that recognizes individual rights and freedom and Capitalism, the toolbox is full and a good life is assured. WITHOUT STEALING FROM OTHERS.

Promoting Sanders is promoting envy and theft and freeloading as basic social values. Let's try some good old fashioned honest greed. Let's try a billionaire. Let's try someone who has actually BUILT things, instead of voting on laws to TAKE things.
At least here we have someone who admits what unbridled capitalism stands for. Greed. Not empathy, not compassion, not love thy neighbor. It is about accumulating. That is what American society stands for.

There is no recognizing that the wealth that is accumulated was accumulated because of a system that allows that wealth. There is no sense of obligation towards that system. The wealthy hate taxation. The wealthy hate any sort of social programs that help the poor. The poor are a bad neighborhood that he may have to drive through. Those disgusting, badly dressed people in line in front of him. To him, no-one is to blame for their lot in life but themselves. They owe him nothing. If the goal of the capitalist is to accumulate more, then any social program is against his goal. There is absolutely no social obligation. It is every man for himself.

This is what we have chosen to glorify. Get what you can as fast as you can. It's Hungry, Hungry Hippos. If you're late to the draw, then you can go to hell. Selfishness "Trumps" social obligation. If you ain't first, you're last.

It would be great if the wealthy in this country decided to empower the poor just out of the kindness of their hearts. If they would recognize that all human beings deserved medical care and the same educational opportunities, and just went ahead and funded organizations to provide it. But those things are against their goal of acquiring more money, and so it won't happen. In this case, there is only one entity capable of delivering those things, and its the government. It looks like it won't happen in this election cycle, but with increased automation, lack of manufacturing jobs, and increased population, it WILL happen. Those who believe that the jobs can come back, or that society can stay the same are not looking at what the future really holds.

We only have a couple of shots at a peaceful revolution, but the revolution will come.

Last edited by Georgiafrog; 03-01-2016 at 11:21 PM..

Old 03-01-2016, 11:08 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,975,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Yep-and now negative interest rates may very well be on the way. But still, we won't hear a peep from some posters.
Actually there is a strong argument to be made for the fact that we already have negative interest rates when you factor in what bank fees do to most people who struggle to save money. But I know what you mean, the whole negative interest rate thing is already out there in other countries and the Fed here claims they have never even researched it as a policy which I definitely do not buy.

Old 03-02-2016, 05:06 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,364,890 times
Quote:
So a guy can put complete lies on paper and you respect him for that? I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he doesn't realize they are lies, but that is even worse because then he is just not intelligent enough to be president. Many of the things he has "on paper" are just wishy-washy Utopian fantasies that will never happen, as an elected politician he SHOULD know this, so they are likely just lies to buy votes from people that don't realize they are lies.
True, Sanders proposals are Utopian dreams and not one of them would see the light of day with a {R} controlled congress. Deep down the Bern knows this and has had the decency to tell his supporters that the "revolution" does not end with him. There is much work to be done in changing the {D} party to being more progressive. The Bern's progressive movement has a good start when you have the front runner Clinton spewing Bernie lines left and right.

Now lets also talk about some "wishy-washy"from the Trump campaign, he has been ragging on Carrier and Nabisco moving to Mexico. His solution is too impose a tariff, I have heard him in the case of Carrier of a tariff of 35%. Now here is the million dollar question how is Trump going to get a "globalist friendly" congress to pass his tariff? Please name the {R}s who are going to play the role of Smoot/Hawley to shepherd the bill through congress?

See what I am getting at here? both sides are out there pimping Utopian fantasies that will never see the light of day at present. But when they are in front of large crowds it sounds good to their ears and with out one clue the ignorant unwashed masses break out in cheers. But when you pin those supporters down with the fact it would take congress to enact their Utopian wet dreams by the look on their faces you can tell you ripped their soul right out of their body. I hate to be the grim reaper but that is the truth

Old 03-02-2016, 05:17 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
Maybe they aren't as bad quite yet since they don't have those "Hope" signs or t-shirts with Bernie on it, but with the dumb slogan of "#FeeltheBern" (Similar to "Yes we can!") and his cult like following makes me feel like its Obama 2.0. People are acting like he is their savior. What do you think?
I think it looks pretty much like any other political campaign.

Old 03-02-2016, 05:19 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,345,485 times
Quote:
Just because Sanders appears to have some substance doesn't make it any better than a Trump's lack of substance. You have one guy lying to you and another guy not saying much of anything...hard to really say one is better/worse than the other, neither is good.
So you think someone having some substance is the same as someone having no substance?

Now I see the problem with some folks......

Old 03-02-2016, 05:21 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,345,485 times
Quote:
So a guy can put complete lies on paper and you respect him for that? I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he doesn't realize they are lies, but that is even worse because then he is just not intelligent enough to be president. Many of the things he has "on paper" are just wishy-washy Utopian fantasies that will never happen, as an elected politician he SHOULD know this, so they are likely just lies to buy votes from people that don't realize they are lies.
America was built on those wishy-washy fantasies, that much of the world said could not happen.

Old 03-02-2016, 05:26 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,364,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post

Obviously someone bought into the sound bite in the ad already running against Trump.

Yeah...I love the poorly educated. Those of us who heard the ENTIRE clip (and know that this is how Trump talks) know that it was in response to last week's win and exit polls which had him winning every demo. "I won with [fill in the blank]. I love [fill in the blank]." He also noted that he won with the well educated (and loves the well-educated), but the ad didn't highlight that. How transparent. And clear that the only low information dupes to which that ad is directed, are those who didn't hear what he said in its entirety.

And BTW, people, anyone who thinks Bernie's fed up working-class supporters are going to flit over to Hillary's camp have a strudel in their noodle.
No, I have seen the whole speech. And it was not a good move on Trumps part and the proof is the ad itself where he handed the left fodder to beat him over the head with. You know the lefts narrative will be that Trump is not for higher education and wants to keep people stupid so they will vote for him.......... Sometimes it is better to let things go unsaid and this is a good example of that, why give the other side ammunition? not a smart move on Trumps part.

Old 03-02-2016, 05:27 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
Maybe they aren't as bad quite yet since they don't have those "Hope" signs or t-shirts with Bernie on it, but with the dumb slogan of "#FeeltheBern" (Similar to "Yes we can!") and his cult like following makes me feel like its Obama 2.0. People are acting like he is their savior. What do you think?
I'd call it hopeful enthusiasm.

On the other side, there's just hate.

I remain optimistic that more people will choose not to go down the path of hate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections