Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2016, 11:25 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Pledged Delagates should switch to Bernie. Bernie has dominated most of the Swing States this Primary.
Swing states

Iowa -- Hillary +.3
New Hampshire -- Bernie +22 56,000 votes
Nevada -- Hillary +5
Colorado -- Bernie +19 23,000 votes
Florida -- Hillary +31 531,000 votes
Ohio -- Hillary +14 166,000 votes
Virginia -- Hillary +29 228,000 votes

You sure have an odd way of defining "dominated" and "most"

Last edited by emm74; 03-23-2016 at 11:31 AM.. Reason: forgot Ohio percentage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 11:25 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Forest View Post
He was talking about super delegates, I read the interview/clarification.

You want him to quit and deny the rest of the country the opportunity to cast their vote? Not very democratic.

This race will be over after the people make it clear. Then we'll live w/ the results
Well, that's not exactly true, but rather than argue about details, let's discuss those superdelegates you just mentioned. His campaign has been fighting to eliminate them since he announced his candidacy. There was even a petition to do away with them entirely. Now he's saying that, even if he is far behind in popular votes, he might be able to flip those superdelegates, the same ones he said were "ruining the Democratic process."

By the way, dropping out or staying in the race isn't the problem. Of course he can stay in as long as he wants. However, this isn't only about Hillary or Bernie, it's about Donald Trump. I've added up all the states left and he cannot catch up even if he sweeps all the states on March 26.

Maybe this will explain it better.

[URL="http://www.politico.com/story/2016/03/bernie-dems-winddown-220966"]Protracted combat with Hillary Clinton threatens to do real damage in a general election against Donald Trump, senators warn.[/URL]

"What’s important is not whether or not he gets out, but how he campaigns,” said Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.). “If the contrast is now about what separates us from Donald Trump, then I think it’s fine. I just hope that we can begin to focus on unifying because obviously a lot of us are perplexed that we could be facing a country led by someone who seems to be a buffoon."

Old 03-23-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Pledged Delagates should switch to Bernie. Bernie has dominated most of the Swing States this Primary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Swing states

Iowa -- Hillary +.3
New Hampshire -- Bernie +22 56,000 votes
Nevada -- Hillary +5
Colorado -- Bernie +19 +23,000 votes
Florida -- Hillary +31 +531,000 votes
Ohio -- Hillary + 166,000 votes
Virginia -- Hillary +29 228,000 votes

You sure have an odd way of defining "dominated" and "most"

I know it's not listed as one of the 7, but NC has been called a swing state in past elections.

Hillary +156,067 (+14 delegates)

Old 03-23-2016, 11:52 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Hillary could win every state and I still wouldn't vote for her.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:56 AM

5,278 posts, read 6,213,202 times
What really becomes noticeable is that Hillary's strength has absolutely been the south. And when you break that down many would say AA voters. To my eye the Ohio win was the biggest one for Hillary since it was her signature win outside the South. Hillary really needs to attract more white and more working class voters in the fall. If she can only do so by having Bernie out of the race her campaign is in real trouble. If she does win she would be well served by his supporters being mobilized and ready to transfer their support not by them sitting in a coffee shop B**tching about sh*tty candidates.

I think claiming Hillary as the paragon of virtue and strict adherer to fact during this campaign is fairly comical. But she has run her campaign and if her staff were to be honest they are much better served by having to find some overarching themes and explanations for her (varied) positions in a primary as opposed to a general election. I think Bernie has shown them that Hillary as a change candidate does not work. So she should change message- and she has to a degree.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:01 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
hillary could win every state and i still wouldn't vote for her.
+1

Old 03-23-2016, 12:07 PM

1,050 posts, read 698,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
What really becomes noticeable is that Hillary's strength has absolutely been the south. And when you break that down many would say AA voters. To my eye the Ohio win was the biggest one for Hillary since it was her signature win outside the South. Hillary really needs to attract more white and more working class voters in the fall. If she can only do so by having Bernie out of the race her campaign is in real trouble. If she does win she would be well served by his supporters being mobilized and ready to transfer their support not by them sitting in a coffee shop B**tching about sh*tty candidates.

I think claiming Hillary as the paragon of virtue and strict adherer to fact during this campaign is fairly comical. But she has run her campaign and if her staff were to be honest they are much better served by having to find some overarching themes and explanations for her (varied) positions in a primary as opposed to a general election. I think Bernie has shown them that Hillary as a change candidate does not work. So she should change message- and she has to a degree.
So you don't think people should express their own opinions?

Many of us are finding we support people, not parties who support corporate interests

Why should I do what you, a virtual stranger, says I should concerning this race?

Old 03-23-2016, 12:10 PM

1,050 posts, read 698,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Well, that's not exactly true, but rather than argue about details, let's discuss those superdelegates you just mentioned. His campaign has been fighting to eliminate them since he announced his candidacy. There was even a petition to do away with them entirely. Now he's saying that, even if he is far behind in popular votes, he might be able to flip those superdelegates, the same ones he said were "ruining the Democratic process."

By the way, dropping out or staying in the race isn't the problem. Of course he can stay in as long as he wants. However, this isn't only about Hillary or Bernie, it's about Donald Trump. I've added up all the states left and he cannot catch up even if he sweeps all the states on March 26.

Protracted combat with Hillary Clinton threatens to do real damage in a general election against Donald Trump, senators warn.

"What’s important is not whether or not he gets out, but how he campaigns,†said Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.). “If the contrast is now about what separates us from Donald Trump, then I think it’s fine. I just hope that we can begin to focus on unifying because obviously a lot of us are perplexed that we could be facing a country led by someone who seems to be a buffoon."

Except I don't support your argument or McCaskill.

Old 03-23-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Sarcasm on.

But EF you know as well as I do that the "every voice count" mantra They keep telling us each election cycle is just for the children. Kind a like Santa Claus or The tooth fairy. they're cute traditions to hype up the kids. But they're not actually real things.

Well then....Bernie should definitely drop out........

Sarcasm off.
You can twist my words any way you want. Coincidentally, after I posted my earlier comment, I read a new article from today's Daily Kos, not exactly a conservative site.

[URL="http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/03/23/1505384/-Bernie-Sanders-Senior-Campaign-staffs-need-to-resign"]Bernie Sanders Senior Campaign staffs need to resign.[/URL]

I've always said I like Bernie Sanders and admire many of his positions but, as pointed out here, telling voters that Bernie is catching up in AZ when Hillary was already ahead by over 20 points was completely misleading. At one point she was up even more, but I believe the final count was 235/163.

Of course the people in Utah and Idaho count. But the population in Idaho is about 1.6M and the population in Utah is less than 3M. I congratulate Sen Sanders on his wins, but every vote does count. It seems to me that whenever Hillary Clinton wins a state, the Sanders supporters bring up "the Black vote" and "the Latino vote" as if they aren't real Americans. I don't ever remember when Sec Clinton pointed out all the 90% White states that favor Bernie. Next when he sweeps Alaska, a state with fewer residents than Jacksonville, we'll be hearing how he's overtaking her lead.

I am only stating facts and, each time I do, one of Sanders supporters posts a statement or figure that has little to do with the overall picture. Of course Bernie Sanders is not a racist. Neither is Hillary Clinton, although many of his supporters have slandered her with that label. Sometimes when I read posts on this forum they seem to say in so many words that "if it weren't for all those Blacks and Latinos, Hillary wouldn't have a chance." Sorry, but that's what I'm seeing here. America isn't just about White voters any more. We live in a very diversified country where every vote counts. As a lifelong Democrat who believes in celebrating that diversity, some of the comments on this forum make me a little uncomfortable.

Old 03-23-2016, 02:47 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,967,748 times
Quote:
You can twist my words any way you want. Coincidentally, after I posted my earlier comment, I read a new article from today's Daily Kos, not exactly a conservative site.

Bernie Sanders Senior Campaign staffs need to resign.

I've always said I like Bernie Sanders and admire many of his positions but, as pointed out here, telling voters that Bernie is catching up in AZ when Hillary was already ahead by over 20 points was completely misleading. At one point she was up even more, but I believe the final count was 235/163.

Of course the people in Utah and Idaho count. But the population in Idaho is about 1.6M and the population in Utah is less than 3M. I congratulate Sen Sanders on his wins, but every vote does count. It seems to me that whenever Hillary Clinton wins a state, the Sanders supporters bring up "the Black vote" and "the Latino vote" as if they aren't real Americans. I don't ever remember when Sec Clinton pointed out all the 90% White states that favor Bernie. Next when he sweeps Alaska, a state with fewer residents than Jacksonville, we'll be hearing how he's overtaking her lead.

I am only stating facts and, each time I do, one of Sanders supporters posts a statement or figure that has little to do with the overall picture. Of course Bernie Sanders is not a racist. Neither is Hillary Clinton, although many of his supporters have slandered her with that label. Sometimes when I read posts on this forum they seem to say in so many words that "if it weren't for all those Blacks and Latinos, Hillary wouldn't have a chance." Sorry, but that's what I'm seeing here. America isn't just about White voters any more. We live in a very diversified country where every vote counts. As a lifelong Democrat who believes in celebrating that diversity, some of the comments on this forum make me a little uncomfortable.
It's not minority voters... the Clinton campaign has been using push polls and misinformation to trick low-information voters into supporting her. She's temporarily adopted more progressive positions during her campaign to fleece potential Sanders voters. There is nothing about her past or her policies that would be more beneficial to the groups that are supporting her.

I will vote for Clinton if she wins... if that's the kind of candidate the majority of dems want then so be it. I'll fight to get my fellow Sanders supporters to do the same. Dems need to hang on to the presidency at all cost and nominate a replacement for Scalia and RBG--when she inevitably retires in the coming years. We'll have this conversation again in 4-8 years and next time we'll win!

And in the meantime we will use the grassroots organization Sanders has built to challenge conservative corporatist democrats hiding in deep blue districts, and using their unchallenged authority to disenfranchise voters and protect other corporatist candidates. We're looking at you... Debbie Wasserman Schultz.

Quote:

Protracted combat with Hillary Clinton threatens to do real damage in a general election against Donald Trump, senators warn.

"What’s important is not whether or not he gets out, but how he campaigns,” said Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.). “If the contrast is now about what separates us from Donald Trump, then I think it’s fine. I just hope that we can begin to focus on unifying because obviously a lot of us are perplexed that we could be facing a country led by someone who seems to be a buffoon."
If these people were really worried about losing to the Republicans in November, they'd call on Clinton to drop out. Seriously. Sanders has much better chances in a general election. Preserving democrats' chances clearly isn't their priority. What if Republicans have a brokered convention and nominate Kasich? Or Romney? Even if such an undemocratic move is toxic to their campaigns, those would be huge threats to Hillary. Based on all the polls however, Sanders would smoke every challenger.

Whether or not he has a chance to win, Sanders should remain in until the end to give his supporters in the remaining half of states a chance to have their voices heard. It would be monstrously undemocratic to allow one region to vote for the whole country and then call it a wrap. And you never know, plenty could happen in the next couple months. There are plausible scenarios in which Sanders could win, even if it is a long shot. You lose 100% of the shots you don't take, not that I'm holding my breath.

The 2008 primary went all the way to the end, and I don't recall Obama's chances being hurt against McCain, even though the republican primary was clarified early on. There's no evidence that having a long primary hurts. And that primary was vicious! Clinton was vicious!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections