Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 11:16 PM

26,322 posts, read 14,923,428 times

Advertisements

#1 This is my country and I need the best candidates on both sides as the general election could change on a dime.

#2 Kasich has balanced the budget as chairman of the budget committee in the 1990s and as Governor of Ohio. He is most likely to get this done out of all candidates.

#3 He has a long track record of working with broad coalitions and reaching across the aisle. This is sorely needed in DC.

#4 He is the only Republican candidate left not using dirty tactics and/or petty insults. I appreciate his adulthood.

#5 Kasich literally won a massive landslide in the PURPLE state of Ohio for governor. He got twice as many votes as his Democratic challenger (64% to 33%) in a state that Obama won both times, won 86 of 88 counties including Cuyahoga County (which has Cleveland), he also won 26% of the black vote and 73% of the white vote, which is strong for a Republican.

#6 Kasich implemented many positive changes and worked with Democrats to give and get on issues.

#7 Kasich has had great results in Ohio with jobs, wages, etc...

#8 I don't care if Kasich has only a small chance...I have heard others say that they would have voted for Kasich, but they didn't think he could win, so they voted for _____. Not me. I can't hold my head up high voting for someone else, when I clearly think he would make the best president in the GOP field.

#9 He has empathy for the poor and expanded medicaid.

#10 He has private sector experience besides many years of experience in DC and as a 2 term governor of a swing state. He was the managing director for the Lehman Brothers Columbus branch, where he had success as a manager.

#11 He was on the defense committee for 18 years besides running the budget committee when we achieved balanced budgets.

#12 Some of the other candidates seem highly unethical in their lies and their interactions with other people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2016, 11:37 PM

3,779 posts, read 1,746,179 times
Well said

Old 03-05-2016, 12:53 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,041,283 times
Can't quibble with your points. We, citizenry, are too one issue oriented, to any longer pick the best leader. I'll support whoever ultimately wins on the Republican side. See. That is how it works. I just backtracked, evolved, changed, restated and modified my statement about litmus tests.

Because I do have one litmus test. No liberal/progressive candidatePERIOD , will ever get my vote.

Old 03-05-2016, 01:00 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,203,151 times
Kasich would be my preference over Hillary, as well over another religious right Republican. I wish he had done better to begin with.

Old 03-05-2016, 03:49 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,003,331 times
I voted for him in NH and hope to be able to vote for him again.

Old 03-05-2016, 03:59 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,309,239 times
Good luck to your candidate. I think you're making a wise decision.

Old 03-05-2016, 05:49 AM

20,103 posts, read 16,072,525 times
You have well thought out, logical reason for your choice. I hope you have lots of company. I would love for him to win, even though it will be one more nail on Rubio's coffin.

Old 03-05-2016, 06:09 AM

7,185 posts, read 3,681,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDocKat View Post
I wish he had done better to begin with.
I agree. If only a candidate hadn't come along who was masterful at garnering media attention, sucking the oxygen out of everyone else's hopes.

He has reasonable policies (for the most part, although I disagree with some of them), and a history of being able to work well with others.

Now, if a miracle happened, and people actually noticed him and voted for him - especially in the face of the last couple of debates - perhaps there wouldn't have to be a brokered convention. There are still a lot of states to go before then. But, sadly, I think that too many voters have dug their heels in, and just aren't thinking clearly and longer.

Old 03-05-2016, 06:15 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,878,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
I agree. If only a candidate hadn't come along who was masterful at garnering media attention, sucking the oxygen out of everyone else's hopes.

He has reasonable policies (for the most part, although I disagree with some of them), and a history of being able to work well with others.

Now, if a miracle happened, and people actually noticed him and voted for him - especially in the face of the last couple of debates - perhaps there wouldn't have to be a brokered convention. There are still a lot of states to go before then. But, sadly, I think that too many voters have dug their heels in, and just aren't thinking clearly and longer.
kasich is not getting criticized yet because the establishment RNC want to torpedo trump by taking as many votes away from him as possible.

kasich got a 400,000 dollar bonus at lehman (which collapsed later, as we all know), The Columbus Dispatch reported that Kasich tried to persuade two state pension funds in 2002 to invest with Lehman Brothers while he was the managing director of the investment banking house's Columbus office.

The collapse of Lehman Brothers eventually cost Ohio's pensions nearly $500 million.

we seem to have a revolving door of politicians and investment banks.

he also doesn't have quite the job creation record that he is touting, and, more importantly, is soft on immigration for a guy who talks so much about blue collar workers.

Old 03-05-2016, 06:20 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,878,225 times
oh, and he proposed a big surtax on the oil industry, and increased state spending.

But none of that seems to matter to Kasich. Rather than cut state spending -- which rose more than 20 percent during his first term, according to Opportunity Ohio -- he has instead decided to place a "success tax" on oil and gas companies, which will have the collateral effect of costing Ohio citizens jobs and limiting their opportunities and their incomes.

if you follow his policies of not even wanting to deport people who have broken the law, you cost americans jobs.

as well as underperforming on job creation:
On this point alone, Gov. Kasich fails to shine. In fact, he’s now 37 straight months into under-performing the national average of job creation, with Ohio ranking in the bottom half of states year-over-year, according to the well-respected W.P. Carey School of Business state economic rankings. It's not awful, but it's not as he represented, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections