U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 08:35 PM

273 posts, read 108,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
We definitely need to put more money into education!
Send the $ to The HILdebeast. Those circus tents she calls a wardrobe probably cost a pretty penny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 08:54 PM

14,269 posts, read 15,870,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unwillingphoenician View Post
But Clinton supported NAFTA, which is one of the principal reasons that caused auto industry jobs to be lost. She was wrong on the Iraq War, wrong on Bill Clinton's crime bill, she accepts money from for-profit prisons, and on and on. Clinton does not win on issues, unless you agree with her on all those things.
Look, it's obvious you don't like Hillary Clinton, so why argue? For every issue you mentioned, I can name bills Bernie Sanders voted for/against, such as his vote against the Brady Bill, his vote against Immigration Reform, etc. etc. Regarding the Crime Bill you mentioned, as she pointed out tonight, there were some negative results and some very positive results. For example:

"The 1994 bill was a watershed, marking the first comprehensive federal legislative package designed to end violence against women. It was also a triumph for women’s groups that lobbied hard to persuade Congress to legislate federal protections for women on the grounds that states were failing in their efforts to address this violence."

[URL="https://www.legalmomentum.org/history-vawa"]SOURCE[/URL]

Old 03-06-2016, 09:19 PM

1,050 posts, read 544,637 times
Quote:
I agree he speaks from the heart. However, he is wrong on many issues. If the auto industry had failed, for example, do you know how many jobs would have been lost? I'm not only talking about 4 million auto jobs, but small businesses like the people who install aftermarket products, i.e., audio systems and sunroofs.

Also, I would agree with Sanders if he said "When you're White you don't know what it's like to be Black." But he didn't say that at all. He indicated that there aren't any poor White people. Is he saying all Black people are poor and all White people are rich? If that's true, where are my millions? Oprah, please send me some money!
The auto industry would not have failed, some billionaires would have saved it.

Also, he did not mean only Black people are poor, it was just one of a few moments he didn't express himself clearly, these things happen.

Old 03-06-2016, 09:26 PM

7,060 posts, read 4,059,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Forest View Post

Also, he did not mean only Black people are poor, it was just one of a few moments he didn't express himself clearly, these things happen.
GM and Chrysler would have been liquidated and had their Marques and technology split between bidders, likely foreign car companies needing certain technologies (I.e. Hyundai wants to bring a truck here but can't get around the chicken tax and lacks the ability to manufacture body on frame vehicles in the US).

FCA is more indicative of what GM would have had to do.

Old 03-06-2016, 09:33 PM

4,666 posts, read 2,623,505 times
The average voter doesn't know enough about nafta for it to matter very much. Good for Sanders to stick it to Hillary, but I don't think it matters that much.

Old 03-06-2016, 09:35 PM

12,773 posts, read 4,612,757 times
Quote:
Look, it's obvious you don't like Hillary Clinton, so why argue? For every issue you mentioned, I can name bills Bernie Sanders voted for/against, such as his vote against the Brady Bill, his vote against Immigration Reform, etc. etc. Regarding the Crime Bill you mentioned, as she pointed out tonight, there were some negative results and some very positive results. For example:

"The 1994 bill was a watershed, marking the first comprehensive federal legislative package designed to end violence against women. It was also a triumph for women’s groups that lobbied hard to persuade Congress to legislate federal protections for women on the grounds that states were failing in their efforts to address this violence."

SOURCE
But the Clinton's were pushing the tough on crime parts as the positive ones, while this is exactly the part of the bill which Sanders was against:

This is his speech to try to convince Congress to wake up and realize that more jails and harsher punishments is not a solution:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTn3jUoMdVI

Old 03-06-2016, 09:37 PM

11,881 posts, read 10,354,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
The average voter doesn't know enough about nafta for it to matter very much. Good for Sanders to stick it to Hillary, but I don't think it matters that much.
I'd say in Michigan it sure does.

Old 03-06-2016, 09:38 PM

21,047 posts, read 11,676,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I'd say in Michigan it sure does.
Yes but does it matter more than the auto bailout bill? I personally doubt it. We'll find out Tuesday, I guess!

Old 03-06-2016, 09:41 PM

14,269 posts, read 15,870,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Forest View Post

True, but isn't this a big hypocritical? Why does Bernie get a pass when he doesn't express himself clearly and she doesn't? People are now criticizing her for using the word "Super-Predator" in a speech 20 years ago when she was talking about drug dealers and gangs that were terrorizing neighborhoods.

Old 03-06-2016, 09:41 PM

11,881 posts, read 10,354,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Yes but does it matter more than the auto bailout bill? I personally doubt it. We'll find out Tuesday, I guess!
Yeah, she definitely scored points there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or