Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 11:25 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times

Advertisements

Many former politicians make speeches. She was not a paid official when she made them. If she were in office at the time, I would agree that the transcripts should be released. However, she was a private citizen. You know that even starting a speech in front of Goldman-Sachs with words like "My Friends" will give the press and the Republicans more than enough to vilify her. I can see it now. "See? She's their friends, not yours." Every word will be taken out of context. Do you remember when Shirley Sherrod was appointed to the Dept of Agriculture? She was only a State Director, not a presidential candidate, and the entire meaning of her inspirational speech was changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 11:29 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
And if he had voted for it, he would have been ridiculued and demonized by the same people for forcing the elderly, the working class and the poor to rescue Wall Street criminals. Its gutter politics.
No, it's a disagreement with him, just like you are free to disagree with things Hillary has said and done. Making up crap is gutter politics. Calling someone out on a vote they made is legit - it must be because I've lost track of the number of times Bernie has done it.

Old 03-07-2016, 11:32 AM

988 posts, read 682,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Many former politicians make speeches. She was not a paid official when she made them. If she were in office at the time, I would agree that the transcripts should be released. However, she was a private citizen. You know that even starting a speech in front of Goldman-Sachs with words like "My Friends" will give the press and the Republicans more than enough to vilify her. I can see it now. "See? She's their friends, not yours." Every word will be taken out of context. Do you remember when Shirley Sherrod was appointed to the Dept of Agriculture? She was only a State Director, not a presidential candidate, and the entire meaning of her inspirational speech was changed.
I gave you a clear example of how Wall Street dollars influenced Barack Obama, which Hillary claims didn't happen, and you didn't respond.

She should release her speeches too, but that's a separate issue.

Old 03-07-2016, 11:48 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,017,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
You know, I totally get that Bernie hates Wall Street and YES - blowing it up in 2008 sure would have felt good but many of us 'non-billionaires' would have suffered greatly. The middle class also has Wall Street investments of their own; their 401k's, retirement plans, etc.

So - I got no problem that we bailed out Wall Street in 2008. We bailed ourselves out right along with it.
Bernie's economic plans would blow the country up.

If only more people understood what his proposed policy changes actually meant. As is (they have zero chance of ever being enacted either way), they'd destroy small business and strengthen corporations.

Old 03-07-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Bernie's economic plans would blow the country up.

If only more people understood what his proposed policy changes actually meant. As is (they have zero chance of ever being enacted either way), they'd destroy small business and strengthen corporations.
Right, universal health care in every other developed nation on earth means it has "zero chance of ever being enacted" in the U.S. Real pie in the sky here. Something that everybody else has done.

List of things that couldn't be done: freeing slaves, granting women the right to vote, organizing labor, civil rights, etc. etc. ad infinitum, but you and your brave Hillary supporter buddies shrink from the loudmouth republicans in Congress. "It can't be done!"

Old 03-07-2016, 01:17 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
I work for a big company and we have 'motivational' type famous speakers come all the time. They certainly don't show up to tell us all we are a big bag of dog crap but usually don't get into a shyte-ton of policy specifics either.

I don't think she should release the speeches. It might help her in the primary (or not) but the Pubs would comb through every word and attempt to hang her with every word in the general. It's what they have done with her for 25 years. No, complete disarmament on her part would be just politically stupid.

Old 03-07-2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I work for a big company and we have 'motivational' type famous speakers come all the time. They certainly don't show up to tell us all we are a big bag of dog crap but usually don't get into a shyte-ton of policy specifics either.

I don't think she should release the speeches. It might help her in the primary (or not) but the Pubs would comb through every word and attempt to hang her with every word in the general. It's what they have done with her for 25 years. No, complete disarmament on her part would be just politically stupid.
Now I see where our communication problem comes from.

What you call "complete disarmament" other people call "telling the truth."

Old 03-07-2016, 05:29 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unwillingphoenician View Post

She was a private citizen. She was paid to be a motivational speaker. This is not a crime.

Why not place cameras and microphones in her bedroom or make her wear an ankle monitor?

Old 03-07-2016, 05:40 PM

273 posts, read 140,045 times
Quote:
She was a private citizen. She was paid to be a motivational speaker. This is not a crime.

Why not place cameras and microphones in her bedroom or make her wear an ankle monitor?
An ankle monitor would irritate her hoof

Old 03-07-2016, 05:45 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unwillingphoenician View Post

Tellling the truth doesn't work with Republicans. They demonize her every move so - no - she should not release her speeches.

Should we be privy to any and all of Bernie's private conversations?

That is what you are asking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections