Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 02:19 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,995,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
ok, you didn't ask me but I will answer; do I consider Rubio a true conservative? Compared to Cruz, no, compared Trump Rubio is much more conservative. How are so many being taken in by Trump? If will serve his supporters right if he wins and his ideas all implode, but it hurt our country. That is the sad part.

I do not vote on one issue, obviously some do. I am not in favor of full amnesty but I am realistic and humane enough to know there are exceptions. As for H1-Bs, as I have said before, what is the differenc in that and our companies sending people to other countries to work?

There are no exceptions when it comes to amnesty. Period. Any exceptions only reward lawbreakers and will encourage even more lawbreaking. You do realize that once illegals cross the border they have to break other laws just to survive here. For example, when they take a job, they are breaking the law. To get that job, they either use a stolen ID (which is a felony) or use a fake SSN (that fake SSN could well belong to a living person who gets put in a world of hurt) or they get paid under the table (which is tax evasion). Then there are those who drive without a license. No illegal alien deserves any amnesty at all.

As for the H1-B program---First of all, that visa program has been corrupted and abused. It was never meant to be used to deliberately displace Americans with visa holders. However, sleazy users of this program have exploited every loophole. When American companies send people to other countries to work, they are required to obey local employment laws. American companies are not going overseas and forcing out locals only to replace them with Americans.

So, you would rather vote for a polished empty suit who is beholden to his/her mega-rich donors and puts those donors ahead of their constituents? Rubio clearly thinks that way. He wants to increase the number of H1-B visas. Even worse, when Disney (in Rubio's home state) deliberately displaced Americans with H1-Bs, Rubio was silent on the issue, which shows that he puts his donors ahead of his constituents.

ETA: Take a look at where Rubio's funding comes from. One of his donors is Microsoft. Well, gee, Microsoft is constantly pushing for increases in H1-Bs, even though there is no shortage of Americans who want IT work:

https://www.opensecrets.org/politici...?cid=N00030612
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 02:23 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,388,492 times
Not surprising to read a few people are switching parties to vote. Those people probably see nothing wrong with voting a few times in the same election either.

Old 03-07-2016, 02:23 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,649,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
He is more than Trump. Even though he not my favorite, based on his general demeanor, the "truest" Republucan in the traditional sense is Cruz, hands down. It isn't even a contest.

Look, amnesty is not the only issue. I just wish they would all pledge to enforce the LAWS (not newly minted regulations) already on the books, allow border states to protect their borders, and rescind the executive orders that negate the laws of the land. I think Rubio gets that he was wrong on amnesty, as were a great number of the GOP. Yes, the H-1b visas need to be addressed. Companies are using those visas to deflate wages. Cruz and Sessions introduced a bill that does a fairly good job of starting the reform on the issue. I think the GOP has heard the anger over the amnesty issue loud and clear. You and your compatriots will have achieved that, if nothing else.

But, if you and company do manage to implode the GOP, who do you think is going to help Trump (or whoever wins) by creating legislation to address amnesty? The president is not allowed by the constitution to create his own laws, he can only enact those laws created by congress. Do you think the Democrats are going to propose those laws?
The GOP congress has been saying all they need is a president to sign the legislation. If they get that and don't get the job done the people want done. They can bet their time in Washington is going to be shorter than they thought. The movement that could elect Trump is not going away. It will get stronger and lay waste to the careers of those needing and wanting to be re-elected. It is a two way street.

Trump is not the one imploding the party. It is the lazy morons who sat back not knowing what to do. They are in a panic and instead of taking the responsible course of action have chosen to break with reason and loyalty to the party. They don't care how much damage they do to the party.

Old 03-07-2016, 02:29 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
Exactly! This is the most irritating and frustrating part of this entire election. Trump should have run as the democrat he really is. I assume that he didn't because he knew he wouldn't make it past the primary against the Clinton machine.
Not true. He knew he wouldn't make it past the primary because of D *voters*. As in, he is less popular with Ds than he is with Rs.

If Ds wanted a conservative D, they would have gone for O'Malley, a decent and thoughtful person. They didn't - in very large numbers. They want at least a centrist - Clinton - or a lefty - Sanders.

I think Trump really wants to be president so he is running in the party where he's got the most voters. Simple as that.

Absolutely no one believes he is deeply committed to any political party or party platform or party principles.

Last edited by jacqueg; 03-07-2016 at 02:46 PM..

Old 03-07-2016, 02:38 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,271,829 times
Quote:
Yes, my party is being hijacked. I would have had far less issues with Trump had he ran as a Democrat or the Independent that he is. Not that any of us know what he actually stands for, after all he is according to his own words very flexible.
This is exactly what the RNC "Autopsy Report" came up with but now that Trump is doing it it is called hijacking.

Old 03-07-2016, 02:41 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,116,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eborg View Post
Actually you have to build in another defection, from the same article:

So all in all it was actually a net shift of 650 voters or 1.6%

But without a basis of how often this happens in any election I would imagine this is a fairly pointless number .
You are absolutely right. I will be in the corner over there, quietly committing harakiri.

Mick

Old 03-07-2016, 02:46 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
Quote:
He is more than Trump. Even though he not my favorite, based on his general demeanor, the "truest" Republucan in the traditional sense is Cruz, hands down. It isn't even a contest.

Look, amnesty is not the only issue. I just wish they would all pledge to enforce the LAWS (not newly minted regulations) already on the books, allow border states to protect their borders, and rescind the executive orders that negate the laws of the land. I think Rubio gets that he was wrong on amnesty, as were a great number of the GOP. Yes, the H-1b visas need to be addressed. Companies are using those visas to deflate wages. Cruz and Sessions introduced a bill that does a fairly good job of starting the reform on the issue. I think the GOP has heard the anger over the amnesty issue loud and clear. You and your compatriots will have achieved that, if nothing else.

But, if you and company do manage to implode the GOP, who do you think is going to help Trump (or whoever wins) by creating legislation to address amnesty? The president is not allowed by the constitution to create his own laws, he can only enact those laws created by congress. Do you think the Democrats are going to propose those laws?
What laws do you think need to be made? Nothing wrong with the laws on the books except the politicians aren't enforcing them. The GOP hasn't listened to anybody. They are preaching that the voters don't matter and trying to get rid of the only candidate that is qualified to be president by natural birth who has listened to anybody.

Old 03-07-2016, 04:25 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unwillingphoenician View Post
I said it before and I'll say it again, Trump is not the guy that Hillary wants to face. Neither is Kasich. Cruz is the guy she wants.
Agreed. It's the one they don't say that they want to face, is the one that they want to face.

Old 03-07-2016, 04:56 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,969,794 times
Yeah he will win Ohio like he won Kansas and Maine...

Old 03-07-2016, 05:00 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times
Kasich is gaining on Trump. Maybe they are switching teams to tip the scales for Kasich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections