U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 11:57 AM

34,586 posts, read 33,570,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
YOUNGSTOWN: About 1,000 Democrats in Mahoning County so far have switched their party affiliation to Republican with election officials saying several did it to vote for Donald Trump, the GOP presidential front-runner. “We are seeing something this election cycle I’ve never seen before to this degree,” said board Chairman Mark Munroe, who’s also the county Republican chairman. “Every day I take phone calls or get voice messages from people saying they’ve been Democrats all their life and they’ve had it. They want to vote for Donald Trump. I’m surprised at the volume of inquiries we’re getting. It’s remarkable.” A number of Democrats taking a Republican ballot when voting early at the board “say they want to vote for Trump,” said Joyce Kale-Pesta, Mahoning County Board of Elections director. About 7,000 Mahoning County voters have cast early votes. Early voting started Feb. 17 and ends March 14, the day before the primary.Of those 7,000, about 14 percent were Democrats who voted Republican, Kale-Pesta said. That’s about 1,000 so far. The percentage of Democrats switching parties will grow even more, said board Vice Chairman David Betras."

Youngstown news, Mahoning Co. sees 1K Dems defect to GOP
This is a local paper. I enjoyed reading the comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 12:04 PM

14,651 posts, read 10,548,742 times
Yes, my party is being hijacked. I would have had far less issues with Trump had he ran as a Democrat or the Independent that he is. Not that any of us know what he actually stands for, after all he is according to his own words very flexible.

Old 03-07-2016, 12:07 PM

11,758 posts, read 5,521,988 times
Let's put this in perspective, shall we?

Quote:
There are 161,009 registered voters in the county, including 40,958 Democrats and 14,663 Republicans.

1,000 out of 41,000, or 2.4%. And of course, there are some Trojan Horse voters in there.

EDIT: So after the defection:
Democrats, 40,000
Republicans: 15,663
#winner, #winner, chicken dinner

Mick

Last edited by MTQ3000; 03-07-2016 at 12:26 PM..

Old 03-07-2016, 12:11 PM

12,828 posts, read 6,156,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Yes, my party is being hijacked. I would have had far less issues with Trump had he ran as a Democrat or the Independent that he is. Not that any of us know what he actually stands for, after all he is according to his own words very flexible.
Do you consider Rubio to be a true republican? If so, then why? Does being a true republican mean wanting amnesty for illegals and wanting increases in H1-B visas, even though that visa program has been corrupted to the point where it is being used to displace Americans and replace them with H1-Bs?

After the '12 election, the RNC called our house and asked us to become members. I told them that as long as they support amnesty, they won't get a cent from me. The man on the phone said to me that I wasn't the first one to say that.

Old 03-07-2016, 12:38 PM

679 posts, read 526,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Let's put this in perspective, shall we?

1,000 out of 41,000, or 2.4%. And of course, there are some Trojan Horse voters in there.

EDIT: So after the defection:
Democrats, 40,000
Republicans: 15,663
#winner, #winner, chicken dinner

Mick
Actually you have to build in another defection, from the same article:

Quote:
About 5 percent of Republicans – 350 voters – cast Democrat ballots of those who’ve voted so far, said Chris Rakocy, the board’s information technology manager.
So all in all it was actually a net shift of 650 voters or 1.6%

But without a basis of how often this happens in any election I would imagine this is a fairly pointless number .

Old 03-07-2016, 12:38 PM

14,651 posts, read 10,548,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Do you consider Rubio to be a true republican? If so, then why? Does being a true republican mean wanting amnesty for illegals and wanting increases in H1-B visas, even though that visa program has been corrupted to the point where it is being used to displace Americans and replace them with H1-Bs?

After the '12 election, the RNC called our house and asked us to become members. I told them that as long as they support amnesty, they won't get a cent from me. The man on the phone said to me that I wasn't the first one to say that.
He is more than Trump. Even though he not my favorite, based on his general demeanor, the "truest" Republucan in the traditional sense is Cruz, hands down. It isn't even a contest.

Look, amnesty is not the only issue. I just wish they would all pledge to enforce the LAWS (not newly minted regulations) already on the books, allow border states to protect their borders, and rescind the executive orders that negate the laws of the land. I think Rubio gets that he was wrong on amnesty, as were a great number of the GOP. Yes, the H-1b visas need to be addressed. Companies are using those visas to deflate wages. Cruz and Sessions introduced a bill that does a fairly good job of starting the reform on the issue. I think the GOP has heard the anger over the amnesty issue loud and clear. You and your compatriots will have achieved that, if nothing else.

But, if you and company do manage to implode the GOP, who do you think is going to help Trump (or whoever wins) by creating legislation to address amnesty? The president is not allowed by the constitution to create his own laws, he can only enact those laws created by congress. Do you think the Democrats are going to propose those laws?

Old 03-07-2016, 12:51 PM

15,298 posts, read 7,813,183 times
FWIW, Ohio is a closed primary state. I live in OH and I am an independent. Due to that, if I say, when I go to the poll that I am an independent, then I will not get to vote in either primary.

In order to vote in the primary, many here in OH think they need to be registered to a particular party. You actually don't, you just tell the poll workers your party affiliation. When I go to the polls on the 15th, I'm going to tell them I'm a Republican and I'm going to vote for Kasich in an effort for Trump not to win our state's delegates. I know a lot of Democrats who want to do the same and many of them believe they need to do an official change via the county in order to do this.

So, I don't doubt there are many Democrats in Mahoning County who are planning to vote for Trump but there are many more, I'm sure, who want to vote for another GOP candidate in an effort to stop him from winning here. So you have to look at what is occurring there both ways.

ETA: There are a lot of us independents here in OH who are planning on voting in the GOP primary against Trump. We'll see how it turns out.

Old 03-07-2016, 12:57 PM

5,382 posts, read 2,185,167 times
Quote:
Exactly! This is the most irritating and frustrating part of this entire election. Trump should have run as the democrat he really is. I assume that he didn't because he knew he wouldn't make it past the primary against the Clinton machine.

Old 03-07-2016, 01:09 PM

19,674 posts, read 14,140,463 times
Quote:
Yes, my party is being hijacked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
Exactly! This is the most irritating and frustrating part of this entire election.
Your party was hijacked by George Herbert Bush in 1988.

Old 03-07-2016, 01:17 PM

3,904 posts, read 1,721,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
Exactly! This is the most irritating and frustrating part of this entire election. Trump should have run as the democrat he really is. I assume that he didn't because he knew he wouldn't make it past the primary against the Clinton machine.
Or he ran as a Republican to destroy the party and give Hillary the easy win as the theory of him being a Clinton plant goes, Seems more legit ever day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or