U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 08:51 PM

12,773 posts, read 4,608,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by schvuggie View Post
Ahhhhh, I see. It's "caveman" mentality to disagree with the notion of paying for a 4 yr college education for everyone, gotcha. I guess you feel you are somehow "entitled" to that? Are you opposed to the notion of actually putting YOURSELF thru school? How about my caveman solution of get off your lazy arse and work 3 jobs to put yourself thru school and YOU pay for it
You are spouting arguments which were used against public education in general. You simply assume that you dont benefit from a better educated population which is blatantly false. So yes, certain public goods should be paid for so we can harness the talents of all our children, not just reserve college for the people with well-off parents.

College USED to be affordable in America. It was free in California until the 80s and annual tuition costs were 10% of what it is today on average in the 60s. Today, a college degree is the equivalent of a high school degree when you grew up 50 years ago. Times have changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 08:53 PM

4,709 posts, read 3,495,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
She is such a treacherous & phony pos.

And those, along with being a poorly-aging cuckquean, are Hillary's good points.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:54 PM

988 posts, read 488,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
You are spouting arguments which were used against public education in general. You simply assume that you dont benefit from a better educated population which is blatantly false. So yes, certain public goods should be paid for so we can harness the talents of all our children, not just reserve college for the people with well-off parents.

College USED to be affordable in America. It was free in California until the 80s and annual tuition costs were 10% of what it is today on average in the 60s. Today, a college degree is the equivalent of a high school degree when you grew up 50 years ago. Times have changed.
Exactly.

In the 1960s you could work a summer job and pay your college tuition.

Now tuition, room, and board is like $40,000 per year at a lot of schools.

And people use 1950s era canards like "Get a job" as if that solves the problem.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:56 PM

1,050 posts, read 544,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
That's why he ran, genius - to move Clinton and the Democratic Party to the left.

This is how politics function. You people have this naive, simplistic fantasy that the ideal politician is some sort of perfectly principled utopian individual. And that's a fairy tale. Political parties are responsive to their constituents. The Sanders candidacy was always designed to bring his faction of supporters to the fore, thereby forcing Clinton - and the epicenter of the party - leftward.

This country would be a lot better off if people started understanding that politics is nuts and bolts sausage-making, not the fantasy-world of political superheroes.
Bernie's running to win. He has never suggested otherwise.

Your view on this particular matter is conjecture

Old 03-07-2016, 08:56 PM

273 posts, read 108,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post

Plenty of grants and loans available....go work your arse off to put yourself thru school. Military has plenty of options as well if you want to further your education....it's called SACRIFICING

Old 03-07-2016, 08:57 PM

10,024 posts, read 10,537,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
She is such a treacherous & phony pos.
Exactly... so it really doesn't matter what she says about anything because it very well might be a lie and more than likely is!

Old 03-07-2016, 08:59 PM

1,050 posts, read 544,537 times
[quote=tinytrump;43278649]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Forest View Post
This is not why...It's because she felt cornered.

She has been saying all along she does not support govt. funded college--

Hillary Clinton to roll out $350 billion college plan - CNNPolitics.com
This article is from last August? How far back you want to go?
I must be honest. I haven't seen that.

But I do also remember her saying she did not support Bernie's idea.

Thank you for posting. She hasn't spoken of this in so long, and she seemed opposed to Bernie's idea.

So thank you, and sorry for getting everyone riled up.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:05 PM

11,881 posts, read 10,352,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
We should revamp high school curiculum so that most students could graduate with general career-ready skills. College should be reserved for specialized degrees that actually require extensive knowledge. College courses should also not duplicate high school courses. I had to take courses in college that were actually easier than the same courses I took in high school. It's a scam. Only about half the college courses I took were specific to my career field.
You do have a very valid point here.

Quote:
Plenty of grants and loans available....go work your arse off to put yourself thru school. Military has plenty of options as well if you want to further your education....it's called SACRIFICING

Not the best advice to give someone, considering our foreign policy has been hijacked by war-profiteers pushing for endless war and the oil industry/banks ensuring the proliferation of the petrodollar. I would never allow my children to join the military today, only to be used and abused by Puppet Politicians like Hillary. They should be HOME protecting OUR borders, not the arbitrary borders in the Middle East.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:06 PM

8,685 posts, read 4,672,309 times
Actually Hillary had the plan for awhile. Not 100% free. Kind of like her plan Bernie and them share similiar ideas. Only issue is Bernie pulls the money from the 1%.

Anyways:
https://www.hillaryclinton.com/brief...llege-compact/

Old 03-07-2016, 09:07 PM

12,773 posts, read 4,608,836 times
Quote:
People like you are against both the minimum wage, social security and public education in general. The end result of your dream society is a banana republic similar to what we see in Latin America. Not good for the country to be able to compete with the world. A tiny super-rich elite, controlling all aspects of life, buying politicians, while people like yourself and the rest of the 99.9% of the population suffer the consequences. I dont believe for a second that you would thrive in such a society and you have no idea how your children would do anyway, especially if they are born with disabilities. Its a luck of the draw. You are not responsible for the IQ you are born with. The society you promote is a typical society which attracts sociopaths, but you cant choose to be a sociopath either. You are either born a sociopath or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or