U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2016, 08:04 PM

9,394 posts, read 2,585,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
When a guy like Rubio loses badly to even Ted Cruz in a state like Michigan, you have a guy that needs to withdraw from national politics.
He doesn't care. The establishment is way to greedy, they'll force him to steal the election
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 08:04 PM

2,888 posts, read 4,688,371 times
Has Rubio already given tonights victory speech?

Old 03-08-2016, 08:14 PM

15,302 posts, read 17,497,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPlatter View Post
Eh. I wouldn't go that far. Hillary lost to Barack in 2008 and decided run again in 2016. Marco is young. I wouldn't be surprised if he runs again in 8 or so years.
The problem for Marco is he'll need to run for office somewhere because he gave up his senate seat to run for President. That is, if he wants to be a politician. I suppose he has great corporate connections and can sit on corporate boards for a few years and make a couple million dollars per year, just like Jeb did for the past several years. Or be some kind of advisor or lobbyist and make a lot of money.

He's really not well liked in Florida because he pretty much won the senate seat and then gave 100% of his effort to build his political career and didn't give a darn about his constituents.

At this point, a vote for Rubio in the FL GOP primary is really an anti-Trump vote more than it is a nod for Rubio.

It's too late for him to pull out of Florida at this point because 20% of the votes are already submitted - maybe closer to 25%. By end of day this coming Saturday, 50% of the votes will be cast already. the remaining 50% of the votes will occur on March 15, the official day.

I think the story about Rubio dropping out came from an opponent - either Cruz or Trump camp. If he was planning to drop out he would have done it before early voting started in FL in order to give a different 'non Trump' candidate a chance to get the votes. If he dropped out now then all the votes already cast for him would be wasted.

Old 03-09-2016, 01:43 PM

10,802 posts, read 14,766,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I'm surprised that Rubio hasn't dropped out. If he loses in Florida, then he's done in politics.
a. He can never drop out.
b. He can drop out before Florida and after the Thursday debate.
c. He can drop out before Florida and before the Thursday debate.
d. He can drop out after he loses Florida.

a. What he has told the world.
b. This hurts Cruz who could go one on one with Trump at the debate.
c. This allows Cruz to go one on one with Trump.
d. By staying in he is hurting Cruz. If he knows he can not win Florida he needs to get out and endorse.

Would Kasich be willing to be Trump's VP?
Will Rubio and Cruz join forces after March 15th or at a convention where Trump does not have 1237?
What about a Clinton - Sanders ticket?

Old 03-09-2016, 03:03 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,858,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
a. He can never drop out.
b. He can drop out before Florida and after the Thursday debate.
c. He can drop out before Florida and before the Thursday debate.
d. He can drop out after he loses Florida.

a. What he has told the world.
b. This hurts Cruz who could go one on one with Trump at the debate.
c. This allows Cruz to go one on one with Trump.
d. By staying in he is hurting Cruz. If he knows he can not win Florida he needs to get out and endorse.

Would Kasich be willing to be Trump's VP?
Will Rubio and Cruz join forces after March 15th or at a convention where Trump does not have 1237?
What about a Clinton - Sanders ticket?
My fearless prediction. If Trump wins the nomination - he will ask Christie to be his VP (although Christie might say no - OTOH - he is relatively young - only 53 - and might be looking at a run as an incumbent VP 8 years down the road). I realize that would be a weird geographical combo (NY/NJ) - but this is a weird election year*. Looks like Kasich might well not even carry Ohio in the primary. So it's not like he's a "vote magnet".

I don't see Rubio and Cruz or Clinton and Sanders. The first is too Cuban-American. The second is too geriatric. BTW - when it comes to a Rubio/Cruz ticket - who would be at the top of the ticket? The establishment guy - Rubio - who can't attract many voters at all? Or the guy most establishment Republicans hate - Cruz? Robyn

*Like in Dearborn Michigan - a city that is about 50% Arab American - the guy who calls for a ban on Muslim immigrants (Trump) and the Jew (Sanders) came out on top. There are lots of Wednesday morning quarterbacks trying to put various spins on this (look at Google News). But I think it's just plain weird.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
The problem for Marco is he'll need to run for office somewhere because he gave up his senate seat to run for President. That is, if he wants to be a politician. I suppose he has great corporate connections and can sit on corporate boards for a few years and make a couple million dollars per year, just like Jeb did for the past several years. Or be some kind of advisor or lobbyist and make a lot of money.

He's really not well liked in Florida because he pretty much won the senate seat and then gave 100% of his effort to build his political career and didn't give a darn about his constituents.

At this point, a vote for Rubio in the FL GOP primary is really an anti-Trump vote more than it is a nod for Rubio.

It's too late for him to pull out of Florida at this point because 20% of the votes are already submitted - maybe closer to 25%. By end of day this coming Saturday, 50% of the votes will be cast already. the remaining 50% of the votes will occur on March 15, the official day.

I think the story about Rubio dropping out came from an opponent - either Cruz or Trump camp. If he was planning to drop out he would have done it before early voting started in FL in order to give a different 'non Trump' candidate a chance to get the votes. If he dropped out now then all the votes already cast for him would be wasted.
I guess Rubio could get a gig at a billboard personal injury law firm like Morgan & Morgan (which is what Charlie Crist did):

Attorney Charlie Crist | Morgan & Morgan

I agree that Rubio didn't do peanuts for people like me who voted for him. I am equally disappointed when it comes to our recently elected Congresscritter - Ron DeSantis - who seems to be running for the Senate now after less than 2 full terms in office (and who - IMO - doesn't have a prayer of being elected to the Senate). So we will have to start from scratch all over again in terms of seniority.

I liked our old Congresscritters - like Dan Mica - who was content to serve in the House for years - and - as Chairperson of the House transportation committee - brought home a lot of bacon for us. We have great roads .

I think the Rubio dropping out story was out of the Cruz camp. What would Trump have to gain by unifying the voters who are voting against him? Plus - Cruz did it before (with Carson). Robyn

Old 03-09-2016, 03:36 PM

4,769 posts, read 2,174,045 times
Rubio got schlonged.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Rubio got schlonged.
Would you care to elaborate? I assume you're not talking about all that hand-size stuff (which he brought up). Robyn

Old 03-09-2016, 10:28 PM

30,390 posts, read 20,021,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
If he got out before Michigan he could have helped Cruz beat Trump. Voting has started there or if it will in the next hour or so, then too late now.

Should he exit before Florida he'll need a good excuse to satisfy the media.

If he exits before Thursday's debate in Florida he misses more chances to attack Trump but why go to a Florida debate if you will exit after the debate but before March 15?
Exit before the debate and he gives Cruz the full stage to attack Trump.

To stay around just for the debate will not sit well with Trump and the media.

Rubio exiting the race will help Kasich, but Trump and Cruz have been splitting the same pissed-off Republican voters since the beginning.

I like Trump and Cruz, but I voted for Cruz in the Michigan primary because I want him to appoint Scalia`s replacement.

Old 03-09-2016, 11:18 PM

30,390 posts, read 20,021,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I had read this story too..about the 'discussion' going on between Rubio and his team.

The thing is , after going this far...why would he get out before Florida.
I see it as a political risk short term of course...but people have a short term memory...if he does run again in the future are people really going to care if he lost his home state?...

I mean look at Bill Clinton...he had a sex scandal WHILE President...and then he went on to great success and became worth hundreds of millions and his wife has a good shot at being the next President right now.

The problem Hillary has going forward is distancing herself from the real Hillary that we all already know.

I really don`t see that happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or