U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-08-2016, 06:19 PM
 
5,382 posts, read 2,185,167 times
Reputation: 1468

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
So you can't even show us one bill Cruz sponsored with respect to illegal immigration?

The Definitive Timeline of How Ted Cruz Deceived Everyone in the Immigration Debate.

The definitive timeline of what Ted Cruz said and did in the 2013 immigration debate.

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bil...3&subject=6206

You can find this out with a simple search of Cruz' Congressional website. Here are 11.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-08-2016, 06:20 PM
 
5,382 posts, read 2,185,167 times
Reputation: 1468
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
What does "feed[ing] trolls" have to do with your refusal to answer a legitimate question?

You claim that Cruz is great when it comes to dealing with illegals, yet you don't explain why. When asked, you attempt to deflect by hurling an insult.

Again for the late crowd: https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bil...3&subject=6206
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2016, 06:54 PM
 
18,095 posts, read 10,289,783 times
Reputation: 13212
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
The guy is an entertainer. He has absolutely no presidential characteristics. I don't really don't understand the appeal he has. Okay, we can discuss trade and outsourcing, but this can be accomplished without electing a guy who has no idea of what he's talking. He's wrong on so many fronts. If there's anyway he's elected, the American project would be in danger and our reputation will be compromised.
Yeah; but think of the tailgate parties at GOP conventions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2016, 07:05 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
11,008 posts, read 6,448,304 times
Reputation: 10654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful Dude View Post
Why would you back a sure loser over Ted Cruz?

Sure, I understand the sentiment about fighting the GOPe, but this isn't 2012. There's an actual anti-establishment conservative running, and just so you know.....it isn't Donald Trump.
Trump has the best chance of beating Hillary. Cruz is a snake oil salesman and religious right fanatic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2016, 07:44 PM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
27,111 posts, read 15,665,940 times
Reputation: 9809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
This is the big problem with these anti-Trump threads and anti-Trump posters. They can only retain any credibility until they come out and say which candidate they do support. We have a bunch of tools and puppets running right now so as soon as someone reveals which tool and puppet they support they no longer have a leg to stand on.
I've stated I would vote Sanders but I may have to vote Hillary as a disapproval vote regardless of the Republican nominee. I'm only for Sanders but otherwise, there isn't anyone I would vote for currently in the race. The only way I wont vote Hillary is if there is an "establishment Republican" running as a third party to derail Trump. I'll gladly vote that and continue my Presidential Republican trend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful Dude View Post
On the electability issue, you are simply wrong. Obviously I am a Cruz supporter, and as such, I'm a rational person. I can see that Cruz will face a tougher challenge in a general election than a Marco Rubio would. However, he is facing such a weak opponent, I'd make him a moderate favorite, objectively.

On the other hand, Trump's negatives are through the roof. Nobody wants a megalomaniacal fascist. We already have one of those. A Trump nomination would trigger a tsunami of losses for the GOP in the US congress. I'm sure someone like you would welcome that, but for people concerned for the viability of the American nation and the American ideal going forward, it would be a disaster. Trump would get clobbered -- absolutely annihilated.
First off, I wouldn't say a Cruz supporter is rational (due to being for an obstructionist who is willing to shut down the government with a half-day long filibuster including a reading of a book for his children) That said, you are right that Cruz faces a tough road as the nominee. Rubio wouldn't but that would be a clear brokered convention based on current delegate counts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unwillingphoenician View Post
I don't think Trump would get clobbered. He has bolstered turnout in republican primaries. He is campaigning on vision, not specifics, and is converting voters.

Ted Cruz has no chance. It's simple. He has integrity. He is clear about where he stands on the issues. And the public doesn't support where he stands. Trump's better chance lies in confusing people with smoke and mirrors.

Another way to look at this is you have a weak GOP primary field. You've got a certified nut job in Trump, and Rubio looks like an intern who should be making the coffee run for the office. Yet Cruz is getting 20, 30, 40 percent of the vote in these states? And that's a juggernaut? Please. He will be absolutely crushed in the general election. In fact, if it were a normal year, and you had 3 decent candidates and Cruz, the RNC establishment would be in all-out death battle mode against Ted Cruz as unelectable.
The Republican field is weak, far too many who either are Pro-Life or are pandering towards the evangelicals by saying they are. We had two untested outsiders who never ran for public office and one more who lost in her only bid and for the longest time was saying if you want a woman in the White House, elect me because I'm not Hillary. You have Cruz who had a VERY negative favorability rating, (Rand) Paul who was clowned by Christie during the first debate over the NSA issue and he only tapped into the libertarian leaning Republicans (and not well at that), Christie who had a huge ding in his record with Bridgegate, (Jeb) Bush who had to carry the baggage of the Bush name and several others who mostly had checkered pasts in some way. The only to that weren't bad in it of itself were Rubio and Kasich. Rubio has won some races but Kasich hasn't won any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful Dude View Post
All right. That's a fair theory. I just don't see it that way.

The alternative analysis is that Trump simply alienates too many people. How can you possibly win a general election when at least half of the people who self-identify with the party you purportedly represent hate your guts? There aren't that many disgruntled working class whites to switch over, especially once they learn (we can hope) that Trump doesn't really represent or care about their interests. He's a union-buster and even said during the one of the debates that he thinks the problem with the US economy is that people (you and me) make too much money.

I've been saying for more than a year that Ted Cruz needs to run more as a populist. Had he made inroads into what is now Trump's base, he'd be in a better position, but he underestimated the threat and let Trump usurp what should be his turf. There is no real contradiction between conservatism and populism. Negotiated (instead of "free") trade is in no way incompatible with conservative values, just incompatible with certain interests that have traditionally supported the GOP. Likewise, strict border control and enforcement of e-verify and all applicable laws to combat illegal labor is both conservative and good for working citizens.

Cruz should have carved out that turf already. Just the same, sans Trump he will have a natural appeal to working class Americans with those kind of arguments.
Trump is galvanizing the Republican Party and brand, it's scary what he is doing.

The issue with Cruz's campaign is before Trump there was Carson who wanted to do what you said Cruz should have done for the campaign. Then throw in Trump and you have an issue of splitting the vote, just as Cruz and Trump are slightly doing with the anti-establishment vote in some states. What gives Cruz a boost is the evangelicals. That said, Cruz is very negative when it comes to national perception, just like Trump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Trump has the best chance of beating Hillary. Cruz is a snake oil salesman and religious right fanatic.
Trump needs to expand the general electorate let alone in HIS favor for the general election. He has done much better in the Republican Primaries and bringing in a bunch of non-voters. The issue is he is galvanizing to the traditional Republican voters. Can he win enough "home team" voters or will it end up as a Goldwater in 1964 situation? Just watch these Anti-Goldwater ads by the LBJ campaign.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnWCQakuJT0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyP_hWvqchU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiG0AE8zdTU

The confessions is FAR too true to this election. It's very eerie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2016, 08:05 PM
 
44,339 posts, read 17,695,102 times
Reputation: 18663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful Dude View Post
Sorry, I don't feed trolls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful Dude View Post
You are wasting your time. Waldo is a paid or otherwise fully committed troll. Myself, I don't bother to respond do such. Do as you like however.

Name calling only means you lack argument based on logic or fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2016, 08:06 PM
 
44,339 posts, read 17,695,102 times
Reputation: 18663
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
And insults and bigoted comments about Cruz reflects on your arguments as well!
Except that I didn't say anything bigoted or insulting about Cruz.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2016, 08:10 PM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
27,111 posts, read 15,665,940 times
Reputation: 9809
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Name calling only means you lack argument based on logic or fact.
Or they are hitting their head against the wall because someone is being obtuse or using strawmen. The key is knowing when not to use these ad hom insults and instead craft a better response. I say those often unless the poster keeps throwing stupid arguments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2016, 08:16 PM
 
Location: Midwest
599 posts, read 821,748 times
Reputation: 973
Why I support Trump — and resent the elites trying to destroy him | New York Post

Sums it up perfectly for me as to why I support Trump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2016, 09:09 PM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
27,111 posts, read 15,665,940 times
Reputation: 9809
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyfanatic85 View Post
Isn't Trump an elite but acting like he isn't?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:29 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top