Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 01:36 PM

988 posts, read 682,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful Dude View Post
Credibility with whom?

Credibility is supporting the true anti-establishment candidate who is despised on K-street and in the Capitol Building, because he wants reform.

Credibility is not blindly following a fascist corporatist con man.
He's despised everywhere, even among former college classmates, one of whom (former roommate) started a web site to defeat him and has said in interviews he would rather put his finger on a name in the phone book than vote for Ted Cruz. Apparently the women in their coed dorm asked him to keep an eye on Ted for them, because he creeped them out. It's not because he wants reform. It's that he is arrogant and uncompromising and just a jerk. Nobody has ever liked him, at any step of the way.

But let's be honest here. He has no chance, as in zero, none of being president. For example 72% of the public supports a path to either citizenship or permanent residence for illegal aliens who meet requirements such as long-term residency, working, and no crimes. Ted Cruz is uncompromising on this issue, so 72% of the public would be against him. There are lots of other examples. He appeals strongly to a certain segment of the electorate, but it is not large enough to win the general election. He'd win some states though, for sure.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/davidh...b_9153014.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 01:37 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Glad to hear. Why is the sane right not being heard? Trump supporters are making the most noise online and on cable news.
The silent majority is being heard the way the silent majority is always heard. We don't march, we don't demonstrate. We write letters and e-mails that the establishment has ignored. So we vote. Reagan gave amnesty to those invading our country encouraging more to invade our country; so they did. Who else besides Trump is even addressing the problem? We don't need any more reforms except those that tell the illegals to get out.

NAFTA and the open door of our country is destroying our country. I will vote for any eligible candidate that will at least make an effort to stop the insanity we are having to deal with right now. That leaves Cruz out.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:44 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,977,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unwillingphoenician View Post
But let's be honest here. He has no chance, as in zero, none of being president. For example 72% of the public supports a path to either citizenship or permanent residence for illegal aliens who meet requirements such as long-term residency, working, and no crimes. Ted Cruz is uncompromising on this issue, so 72% of the public would be against him. There are lots of other examples. He appeals strongly to a certain segment of the electorate, but it is not large enough to win the general election. He'd win some states though, for sure.
Not if you read the comments in NYT each and every time it runs its standard pro immigration reform patter. The aftermath is llttered with middle-aged progressives typing over their glasses on lanyards expressing horror at the idea. If there is one thing that gets the left upset, it's illegal immigration, because it affects the one thing they care about--their livelihoods.

How many tourists do you want to give citizenship to anyway? They already get paid under the table--is that not enough for a tourist?

Old 03-08-2016, 01:45 PM

Quote:
You are making my case for me. Thank you.

See, Trumpbots? A flaming liberal who's in favor of immigration amnesty hates Ted Cruz. Exhibit A.
Yes, I do hate him, but so does everybody else. On the other hand, you seemed to have missed the fact that my post was about the fact that he will never be president. Go ahead and nominate him if you want.

Trump is scarier to Hillary because he's less clear than Ted Cruz on his positions. So he seems like something different to everyone. He could be trouble. Kasich has a lot of moderate positions that might attract democratic voters. Cruz has no chance of winning the general election, just the primary.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:47 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
You didn't address the point you were responding to. John Gotti is irrelevant to this topic.
Sure I did, you said what surprises you, I said what surprises me.

John Gotti is completely relevant considering he was often referred to as the 'Teflon Don", I'd say that title has been well and truly taken over by Donny Trump.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
Not if you read the comments in NYT each and every time it runs its standard pro immigration reform patter. The aftermath is llttered with middle-aged progressives typing over their glasses on lanyards expressing horror at the idea. If there is one thing that gets the left upset, it's illegal immigration, because it affects the one thing they care about--their livelihoods.

How many tourists do you want to give citizenship to anyway? They already get paid under the table.
Look, if we argue about immigration we won't get anywhere.

My point was simply that 72% of the public agrees with me. 72% on a general election issue makes political strategists drool and babble and start to giggle hysterically.

So if you want to feel righteous, and pound your fist on the kitchen table, and say, "What part of illegal don't they understand?", be my guest. And nominate Ted Cruz. Good luck!

What Americans want to do about illegal immigration | Pew Research Center

Old 03-08-2016, 01:53 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,107,325 times
Quote:
The guy is an entertainer. He has absolutely no presidential characteristics. I don't really don't understand the appeal he has. Okay, we can discuss trade and outsourcing, but this can be accomplished without electing a guy who has no idea of what he's talking. He's wrong on so many fronts. If there's anyway he's elected, the American project would be in danger and our reputation will be compromised.
He knows exactly what he is talking about when it comes to trade and outsourcing. It is up to you to educate yourself so that you are able to understand what he is talking about. No other candidate has a clue about about economics and business. The only thing they know when it comes to money is, put some in their pocket and they'll be your puppet.

He is not wrong on many fronts, he is right on. You would need to be specific in order for that to be addressed. And, learn how to use "google".

You can't pick one part of the Trump on the issues and see it without combining it would the rest. He has a comprehensive plan, like building blocks.

He is also not a "buffoon" and by using that word to describe a candidate, well, let's say one has to consider the source when they use such terms.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:56 PM

7,501 posts, read 5,749,500 times
Quote:
The guy is an entertainer. He has absolutely no presidential characteristics. I don't really don't understand the appeal he has. Okay, we can discuss trade and outsourcing, but this can be accomplished without electing a guy who has no idea of what he's talking. He's wrong on so many fronts. If there's anyway he's elected, the American project would be in danger and our reputation will be compromised.
I've often asked myself this very same question since Obumbler took office. What's more horrifying is the country elected the village idiot twice.

Old 03-08-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
On the electability issue, you are simply wrong. Obviously I am a Cruz supporter, and as such, I'm a rational person. I can see that Cruz will face a tougher challenge in a general election than a Marco Rubio would. However, he is facing such a weak opponent, I'd make him a moderate favorite, objectively.

On the other hand, Trump's negatives are through the roof. Nobody wants a megalomaniacal fascist. We already have one of those. A Trump nomination would trigger a tsunami of losses for the GOP in the US congress. I'm sure someone like you would welcome that, but for people concerned for the viability of the American nation and the American ideal going forward, it would be a disaster. Trump would get clobbered -- absolutely annihilated.
I don't think Trump would get clobbered. He has bolstered turnout in republican primaries. He is campaigning on vision, not specifics, and is converting voters.

Ted Cruz has no chance. It's simple. He has integrity. He is clear about where he stands on the issues. And the public doesn't support where he stands. Trump's better chance lies in confusing people with smoke and mirrors.

Another way to look at this is you have a weak GOP primary field. You've got a certified nut job in Trump, and Rubio looks like an intern who should be making the coffee run for the office. Yet Cruz is getting 20, 30, 40 percent of the vote in these states? And that's a juggernaut? Please. He will be absolutely crushed in the general election. In fact, if it were a normal year, and you had 3 decent candidates and Cruz, the RNC establishment would be in all-out death battle mode against Ted Cruz as unelectable.

Last edited by unwillingphoenician; 03-08-2016 at 02:16 PM..

Old 03-08-2016, 02:16 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,977,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unwillingphoenician View Post
Look, if we argue about immigration we won't get anywhere.
We have to argue about immigration, because you've brought it up as a wedge issue, and I question the authenticity of your data.

You don't award international tourists to our country U.S. citizenship just because they want it. They're tourists--and pretty successful at being tourists as it stands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections