U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 07:36 PM

71 posts, read 41,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
And if Trump reacts by staging an independent campaign Hillary wins .
Trump signed the pledge not to do so well before the Iowa Caucus.

At the very first republican debate, the very first question that was asked was "Are you all willing to take the pledge here tonight to support the eventual nominee and refrain from launching a third party/independent bid."

Trump held out during the debate but signed the pledge a few days later.

At the last republican debate, Trump reaffirmed that he will support the eventual nominee, and the other 3 said the same about him.

Trump is NOT going to jump in just to spoil it for his party and hand it to Hillary. Why would he?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post

"The Convention " doesn't want Trump, so he leaves?

That's not how it works, but these posts have been hilarious.
That is very much how it works.

If the convention nominates someone other than Trump, then Trump doesn't get nominated. This is called an inverse statement.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schvuggie View Post
Little Marco is DONE!!!!, stick a fork in him
I voted for Marco Rubio. And my opposition can't think of anything to say about him except "He's Short."

So he must be pretty damn good.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:53 PM

1,115 posts, read 596,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onslow View Post
1. Here's what I see for CERTAIN happening at the Convention:

No one gets a MAJORITY of pledged delegates to clinch the nomination.

Thus, 4 men go to the Convention seeking the nomination.

The Convention reaffirms that they don't really want Trump.

2. Here is what I see as a likely scenario that will play off of that:

Trump is out, no one wants him. Now they have the remaining three.

Kasich: Not enough support in the primaries to really justify nominating him, but, don't go away quite yet.

Cruz: This is the interesting one. Cruz might come in second of delegate count ahead of Rubio, but then again, he might not. Though Cruz has quashed Rubio in recent causus states, Rubio finished well ahead of Cruz in PRIMARY states, which all are from here on out. And with Trump's numbers dropping in winner take all Florida, Rubio might soon be back in the game.

But either way, Cruz is really not liked, at all, within his own party. So he's really one step above Trump.

Rubio: In a Convention where there is no obligation do "follow the leader" due to a lack of a majority in delegates, Rubio is likely the strongest claimant in the eyes of the party elite. The establishment likes him more than Cruz and Trump, and he in fact IS the "establishment candidate" among the remaining 4. Plus, he is the one polling ahead of Hillary in National polls. Can't discount electability.

3. If number 2 happens, here's what's likely from there:

Rubio gets nominated, maybe not on the first ballot as this Convention will be a bloodbath, but, he gets nominated.

On that final convention day, Rubio comes to say: "Kasich with your approval numbers so bright, won't you be my VP tonight?"

Result: Florida and Ohio in the bag, and no scandals or ethical concerns clouding them, the two men go on to face a candidate currently polling behind the latter, with a long history of scandals and questionable ethics, in the middle of an FBI investigation that is getting deeper by the day.

Good luck Hillary. Better hope everyone has amnesia in November.

jesus, Onslow ... you're even more delusional than the average Sanders supporter...

Old 03-08-2016, 08:08 PM

3,904 posts, read 1,721,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epson Exile View Post
I think the RNC is drastically underestimating the blow back from this. I don't mind a Brokered Convention that comes around naturally. But one that is forced by the RNC via power and money.......
If no one gets to 1,237 delegates, it will come around naturally. Only way Trump gets to 1,237 is if he runs the table from here on out and that's not going to happen.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:15 PM

207 posts, read 92,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onslow View Post
Trump signed the pledge not to do so well before the Iowa Caucus.

At the very first republican debate, the very first question that was asked was "Are you all willing to take the pledge here tonight to support the eventual nominee and refrain from launching a third party/independent bid."

Trump held out during the debate but signed the pledge a few days later.

At the last republican debate, Trump reaffirmed that he will support the eventual nominee, and the other 3 said the same about him.

Trump is NOT going to jump in just to spoil it for his party and hand it to Hillary. Why would he?
If they screw him out of the nomination, when he clearly has the most delegates, then I think he damn right should go independent. Then, I will vote for him so the Republicans get screwed. I'd also hope that the party collapses if they go that route. I think Hillary would beat Cruz, and Marco/Kasich or any other establishment goon they put up do not deserve to win.

Trump or bust!

Old 03-08-2016, 08:17 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,201,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skold View Post
If they screw him out of the nomination, when he clearly has the most delegates, then I think he damn right should go independent. Then, I will vote for him so the Republicans get screwed. I'd also hope that the party collapses if they go that route. I think Hillary would beat Cruz, and Marco/Kasich or any other establishment goon they put up do not deserve to win.

Trump or bust!
Clinton could beat Trump. Watch.

And, I don't like either.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:40 PM

2,787 posts, read 3,661,389 times
If the party is dumb enough to give the nomination to someone who came in third/fourth/fifth/didn't even run, because they don't like the top two vote getters then they are going to spark a revolt that would ensure a Clinton win.....its not going to happen.Yes some Republicans will stay home if Trump or Cruz wins the nomination but many,many more will stay home if Trump or Cruz is seen as being cheated out of it if he got the most votes.

Old 03-08-2016, 09:21 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,290,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
If the party is dumb enough to give the nomination to someone who came in third/fourth/fifth/didn't even run, because they don't like the top two vote getters then they are going to spark a revolt that would ensure a Clinton win.....its not going to happen.Yes some Republicans will stay home if Trump or Cruz wins the nomination but many,many more will stay home if Trump or Cruz is seen as being cheated out of it if he got the most votes.
I'm inclined to agree with this view.

If the GOP establishment disses Trump I think many of his supporters will sit out election day ... even if he doesn't stage a revolt and runs as an independent.

How could the GOP snatch the nomination away from Donald and give to to someone who came in second or third place? Is anyone aware of Rule 40(b) of the Republican Party?

Old 03-08-2016, 09:28 PM

20,586 posts, read 8,765,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I'm inclined to agree with this view.

If the GOP establishment disses Trump I think many of his supporters will sit out election day ... even if he doesn't stage a revolt and runs as an independent.

How could the GOP snatch the nomination away from Donald and give to to someone who came in second or third place? Is anyone aware of Rule 40(b) of the Republican Party?
Or they vote democratic in retaliation. I think all hell will break lose if Trump has the most delegates but isn't the nominee. What's the point in voting if delegates make the decision regardless of what the people want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or