Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2016, 07:10 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,298,509 times

Advertisements

This election year is heated, and different people have strong opinions about different Presidential candidates. 17-year-olds are no exception!

Do you think 17-year-olds should be allowed to register to vote now if they will be 18 on election day in November?

Ohio 17-year-olds' presidential picks in Tuesday's primary won't count but pressure building to change the rule: Mark Naymik | cleveland.com

Last edited by Zelpha; 03-09-2016 at 07:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 07:18 AM

20,123 posts, read 16,142,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
This election year is heated, and different people have strong opinions about different Presidential candidates. 17-year-olds are no exception!

Do you think 17-year-olds should be allowed to register to vote now if they will be 18 on election day in November?
Allowed to register? Yes

Allowed to vote right now? No

Unless the constitution is amended, you have a right to vote in a presidental election, but you do not have a right to vote in a primary to select the candidate for a particular party. A party may decide they would like you to vote in order to help them select a candidate, but they aren't required to. Many independents are in the same boat as those 17 year-olds, they get to vote in the general election, but not the primary.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:18 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:

Ohio 17-year-olds' presidential picks in Tuesday's primary won't count but pressure building to change the rule: Mark Naymik | cleveland.com
The federal government doesn't run elections or make the rules...
That is a 10th Amendment issue.

If a State wishes to make the deadline, or even to set age limits, it can. The state can even make it where there are no elections and everyone keeps their office, even the Presidential elections.
States, still have a little power left.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:25 AM

20,123 posts, read 16,142,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The federal government doesn't run elections or make the rules...
That is a 10th Amendment issue.

If a State wishes to make the deadline, or even to set age limits, it can. The state can even make it where there are no elections and everyone keeps their office, even the Presidential elections.
States, still have a little power left.
The federal government is allowed to make the criterion for who is eligible to vote in the general election, but primarily the constitution does. The 26th amendment of the constitution lowered the age to 18. The states can decided the rules about how voting will take place, but they can't restrict who can vote. That issue got explored ad nauseam after the Civil War and again during the women's suffrage movement.

The federal government needs to return to the states the powers they have hijacked.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:47 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:

This definitely varies by state.

New Mexico, for example, does allows 17 year olds to register and vote if they will be 18 by the general.

Seems reasonable to me.

New Mexico allows 17-year-olds to vote in primaries | KRQE News 13

Old 03-09-2016, 07:52 AM

45,319 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
This definitely varies by state.

New Mexico, for example, does allows 17 year olds to register and vote if they will be 18 by the general.

Seems reasonable to me.

New Mexico allows 17-year-olds to vote in primaries | KRQE News 13

Most states do allow pre-18 year olds to register, part of the Motor Voter law. Most do not allow them to vote until they turn 18.

My youngest son turned 18 a couple days after the 2014 election, he couldn't vote.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:31 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Most states do allow pre-18 year olds to register, part of the Motor Voter law. Most do not allow them to vote until they turn 18.

My youngest son turned 18 a couple days after the 2014 election, he couldn't vote.
The OP's title isn't exactly accurate. The teens are registered. They want their primary votes to count. Currently they don't.

From the OP's link:

"Clyde and some other Democrats and voting rights groups are upset that Ohio's 17-year-olds – who will turn 18 by November's election – can participate in next week's primary but any votes they cast for president will not be counted per the instructions from Husted's office."

I provided the link re: NM as an example of a state that does allow 17 year olds to fully participate in the primary process as long as they will be 18 on Election Day.

Seems reasonable to me.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:52 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,298,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
The OP's title isn't exactly accurate. The teens are registered.
I tried to edit the title during my window of opportunity to do so, but it didn't take.

Update...And just had a chat with the moderator over correcting the title, and I told her that you guys educated me that soon-to-be 18-yr olds CAN register to vote, but just can't vote in primaries if they're still 17.

Last edited by Zelpha; 03-09-2016 at 09:08 AM..

Old 03-12-2016, 02:20 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,812,910 times
Quote:
I tried to edit the title during my window of opportunity to do so, but it didn't take.

Update...And just had a chat with the moderator over correcting the title, and I told her that you guys educated me that soon-to-be 18-yr olds CAN register to vote, but just can't vote in primaries if they're still 17.

...they can now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections