U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 08:40 PM

14,379 posts, read 7,931,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
It's irrelevant, but it does give Bernie free advertising.
And therein lies the rub. Just as Trump has been, so goes Bernie allowing the media to steer public opinion.

They know Bernie isn't going to be the candidate so they throw him a few bones. On the other hand, they also know Trump will be squashed by Clinton so they give him all the free publicity he can lap up (and oh does he) because they want him to be the candidate.

ALL THREE other candidates would fair well against Hillary, so we are being force fed Trump non stop. I have never seen a candidate talk so much and say so little.

To all the Trumpeteers: Do you honestly think a guy who loads tables with his branded steaks, water, and Vodka at a press conference is really a good idea? Really?

I wonder if he has already drawn up the plans for the White House Country Club

What a transparent joke this has become.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 12:13 AM

17,878 posts, read 17,716,836 times
To those who are saying, you don't magically become enlightened at 18, so what's wrong with a 17 year old voting... with that argument, do you guys support allowing 3 year olds to vote as well?

Old 03-10-2016, 04:57 AM

12,707 posts, read 4,594,370 times
The Clinton support isnt that strong among people under 50. In Michigan for example, he crushed her among the people under 50.

Its particularly the people over 65 who overwhelmingly vote for Hillary.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:23 AM

4,414 posts, read 3,346,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post

Until each was passed it was a state by state thing. At one time there were plenty of states that didn't allow drinking until 21, and only 17 states allowed voting under 21.

But hey, at least you tried.

Thank you!

I guess Mrmon didn't catch the "pretty much" and read it as "entirely across the board" exchanging what was perceived for what was actually typed.
I stand corrected. It appears that it was split between 18 and 21 until the early 70's. Around 1972 most of the states that had a drinking age of 21 lowered lowered it to 18 or 19. It was raised back to 21 after the feds made it their business in 1984.

Apologies for the snark. I wasn't wrong, but I wasn't completely correct.

Old 03-10-2016, 11:36 AM

19,683 posts, read 14,144,272 times
Here's the actual Ohio Revised Code

3503.011 Qualifications of electors for primary elections.

At a primary election every qualified elector who is or will be on the day of the next general election eighteen or more years of age, and who is a member of or is affiliated with the political party whose primary election ballot he desires to vote, shall be entitled to vote such ballot at the primary election.
Effective Date: 03-23-1981

Old 03-11-2016, 08:45 PM

4,603 posts, read 5,324,082 times
In victory for Sanders, Ohio judge says 17-year-olds can vote in primary

"Washington (CNN)An Ohio county judge ruled Friday that 17-year-olds will be allowed to vote in Tuesday's primaries, a victory for Bernie Sanders' campaign."

Old 03-11-2016, 10:49 PM

2,183 posts, read 1,117,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
The Clinton support isnt that strong among people under 50. In Michigan for example, he crushed her among the people under 50.

Its particularly the people over 65 who overwhelmingly vote for Hillary.
No, Hillary won by 14% among 40-49 in Michigan
Hillary won in all age groups for 30 and over in Massachusetts.

Middle aged people and seniors have lived longer and are less likely to believe in BS' empty and bold promises!

Old 03-11-2016, 11:48 PM

23,216 posts, read 11,473,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyogaH View Post
At the very least, not until you're (on average) out of high school. More ideally, not until your mid twenties and you've had a chance to escape the bubble of college or have some experience with the government, taxes, etc.

Young people are notoriously easy to influence and manipulate, simply for the fact that they have very limited life experience. Its how we have legions of college kids rooting for Sanders' plans for socialized healthcare and free college, but have no idea how these $2.5 trillion yearly liabilities will be paid for other than vague mentions of making "the rich" pay for them.
I thakk you for being the only one of 3 responses to actually put forth a detailed response.

That being said, I believe the hope of most conservatives is that a later voting age will make the electorate more conservative or at least vote for less taxes, but the truth of the matter is, Barack Obama won 18-29 with 60% of the vote, he won 30-44 with 52%, Lost 45-64 year olds with 47% of the vote, and lost 65+ with 44% of the votes.

none of these categories are 100-0 , people vote differently because of their ideology and belief system, not because of being influenced more or less according to age.

Now for a personal example.

Im a liberal. And yet, by the comments below, i should be a conservative since I have been paying property taxes since I was 19, been a full fledged home owner for 2. Worked my way though college and so on and so forth. And yet im still a liberal, im still fine with paying taxes.

As for Bern Sanders' tax plan It is simpler than you are arguing.

The group that came up with 2.5 trillion got that number, did so by basically arguing "worst case scenario" Just like the Romney's campaign did when they said Obamacare would cost 7 trillion dollars( he said it as a percentage of GDP).

Is it possible, sure, is it likely, no. Ill go with the 1.38 Trillion Sanders came up with. Forbes, CNN Money, Time and WSJ, all say Bernie's tax plan creates 15.3 trillion over 10 years. That is 1.53 trillion a year.

He has 150 Billion left over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
In the case of liberals (Democrats), never. Although there have been some that have come to their senses and become conservatives.
George W. Bush had a Republican congress and this nation fared no better. The times in which you conservatives claim were the best in our existence are usually ones with either full Democratic control, or a Democratic congress and Reagan.

Either way, your argument is flawed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Is that really the best synopsis you could come up with? Do you know many 18 year olds with mortgages?
The word synopsis doesnt really fit there, but then again, the fact that you even asked if I knew 18 year olds with a mortgage shows you didnt get the point of what I was saying.

Old 03-12-2016, 04:30 PM

19,683 posts, read 14,144,272 times
Victory for Bernie.

Judge rules 17 year olds can vote in Ohio.

17-Year-Olds Can Vote in Ohio's Presidential Primary ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or