Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 09:06 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,609,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by schvuggie View Post
All compelling facts you list....my guess is a lot more of them be liking the handouts then they would like to admit. Overall, are they better or worse off than 8 yrs ago? Pretty simple answer, yet they will still vote for The HILdebeast.
Do you always break out into Ebonics, or just on C-D Forums?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 09:08 PM

273 posts, read 140,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Do you always break out into Ebonics, or just on C-D Forums?
Makes for easier reading comprehension for some....just trying to be helpful

Old 03-09-2016, 09:10 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
No, it's worse than that.
What?

What is "far worse"? Do tell.

Plenty of blacks attend Trump rallies and don't have any problems at all. Do you even know why? It's because they go to the rallies in support of Trump and want to hear what he says.

FYI---Not everybody who goes to Trump rallies with the sole purpose to cause trouble is black. Why would you even assume such a thing?

Old 03-09-2016, 09:16 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,743,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanapolicRiddle View Post
It's pretty simple. Let's compare Democrats and Republicans on the issues of race/racism:

While they don't do much about it, most Democrats at least acknowledge racism is still prevalent. Some of them are racist, but far fewer than Republicans.

Republicans on the other hand either think (or pretend to think) racism no longer exists, or are overtly and unapologetically racist.

So for African Americans it's pretty simple: They stick with the party (Democrats) who at least understand how pervasive racism still is even if they usually don't do much about it.
Wow, what a great deal for the Dems. An issue gets acknowledged, but not much gets done.

Old 03-09-2016, 10:43 PM

409 posts, read 258,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
Except all of those old southern democrats are now Republicans.
Those old southern Democrats didn't become Republicans, they just died off. Their kids are Republicans.

The south was strictly Democrat at the local and state levels until Reagan, it didn't become a GOP stronghold until the George W. Bush administration 35 years after the civil rights movement.

For example Texas and Louisiana didn't elect a Republican governor until the 80's. Alabama and Mississippi didn't have a GOP governor until the 90's, Kentucky and Georgia didn't elect one until the 2000's. The idea that racist Democrats magically became Republicans in the 1960's is pure fiction.

Old 03-09-2016, 11:13 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshGL View Post
Those old southern Democrats didn't become Republicans, they just died off. Their kids are Republicans.

The south was strictly Democrat at the local and state levels until Reagan, it didn't become a GOP stronghold until the George W. Bush administration 35 years after the civil rights movement.

For example Texas and Louisiana didn't elect a Republican governor until the 80's. Alabama and Mississippi didn't have a GOP governor until the 90's, Kentucky and Georgia didn't elect one until the 2000's. The idea that racist Democrats magically became Republicans in the 1960's is pure fiction.
Some of them became Republicans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Party_...d_States#2010s

the list is incomplete, but it speaks for itself.

Half the alabama legislature are former Democrats, so is one of the U.S. Senators. Even the Democratic nominee for governor became a Republican for a while.

Old 03-09-2016, 11:43 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
African Americans vote for Democrats because establishment Democrats tell them that all their problems are caused by the blond hair blue eye devils. Nothing more, nothing less. Many fall for it, hook line and sinker.

Fortunately not all Black folk fall for this tactic. They are the ones who critically think for themselves and don't vote by party.

Old 03-09-2016, 11:54 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,134,052 times
The problem with the Republicans is that they tend to ignore economic issues that disproportionately affect Blacks and also do not really care about the racial issues that Blacks face. In the early 1900s, Blacks voted for the Democrats even though there were racist Southern Democratic politicians like Ben Tillman (who advocated exterminating Blacks) and Theodore Bilbo (who advocated deportation of all Blacks to Africa). The reason why they voted for the Democrats is because Black voters were disproportionately Northerners (since the South suppressed their votes) and because the Democrats had economic policies that benefited them. The Republicans were considered the party of the rich in that period and their policies didn't really benefit Blacks economically. In terms of racial issues, Republicans generally just paid lip service to civil rights and were no different to Northern Democrats in that regard. Obviously, Southern Democrats were insanely racist but voting is generally regional and in that period Northern Democrats and Republicans did not differ at all in regards to civil rights but did differ substantially when it came to economic policies.

Old 03-10-2016, 02:18 AM

4,490 posts, read 3,930,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mik1680 View Post
My personal insights are as follows:

-I've worked since I was 16, and currently hold a professional position. I have never been on any government assistance. I am married and well-educated. Despite all of this, whenever I have experienced stereotypes and overt racism, it has come from someone who identifies as "conservative". I still try to give people the benefit of the doubt, because I know that no one person characterizes an entire group, and I know Democrats can be racist too...but there's a DEFINITE pattern there in my experience. The underlying assumption that I need/want free stuff, and am somehow "less than" or inherently criminal is a prime example. I only see these sentiments coming from Republicans (just check this forum) and whenever I do, it just increases my support for the opposing side.

-Republicans seem to consistently embrace candidates who engage in and feed off of racial/religious stereotypes.

So to answer your question, I work hard, so I know that my family and I will be ok regardless of who is in office...I just can't ever see myself throwing my support behind a candidate or a party that has consistently shown such a lack of respect for my humanity and the humanity of others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
The problem with the Republicans is that they tend to ignore economic issues that disproportionately affect Blacks and also do not really care about the racial issues that Blacks face. In the early 1900s, Blacks voted for the Democrats even though there were racist Southern Democratic politicians like Ben Tillman (who advocated exterminating Blacks) and Theodore Bilbo (who advocated deportation of all Blacks to Africa). The reason why they voted for the Democrats is because Black voters were disproportionately Northerners (since the South suppressed their votes) and because the Democrats had economic policies that benefited them. The Republicans were considered the party of the rich in that period and their policies didn't really benefit Blacks economically. In terms of racial issues, Republicans generally just paid lip service to civil rights and were no different to Northern Democrats in that regard. Obviously, Southern Democrats were insanely racist but voting is generally regional and in that period Northern Democrats and Republicans did not differ at all in regards to civil rights but did differ substantially when it came to economic policies.
Thank you both for your clear responses, I truly appreciate your insights. I do know about the attitudes you sometimes face from "conservatives" and I, too, find them repugnant. But it seems to me that the Republican focus on jobs, for example, would be an issue that all Americans could support. Plus, we've seen what Democrat control has done to cities like Detroit and Baltimore which is a problem that would seem to disproportionately affect Blacks. And lest we forget the Black unemployment rate under President Obama. I look at the Republican field and I see old, young, Blacks, Hispanics, women and then I look at the Democrat field and just see two old White people. I don't know, I guess it all boils down to "you have to walk a mile in my shoes" which, of course, I can't. I will continue to hope for more sensitivity and enlightenment on the part of Republicans but I will also hope that Black voters someday wake up to the race-baiting tactics and the silent racism of low expectations which I find so pervasive on the Democrat side.

I thank you again, I think I have the answers I was looking for. You can all continue this if you want, but please stick to the topic. It was not my intention to start a "who's more racist" thread. Thanks.

Old 03-10-2016, 06:32 AM

465 posts, read 257,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I don't remember ever calling anyone a bigot. I looked the word up and it seems to be directed at those who have standards and will not stoop to a lower level. I find it to be such an ugly word to call someone else. Everyone says you should not use the "N" word but my opinion is that the "B" word and the "R" word should be included in that list of "No, No's." Bigot and racist are really ugly language.

I used to be one of those Southern Democrats. I went to a local precinct meeting and was treated like dirt. The black man running the meeting clearly didn't want my input. I didn't go back but stayed a Democrat until I realized the platform of the Democrats is anti-Christian.
I referred to someone as a bigot who has consistently shown bigoted behavior ALL over these forums. He/she has:
- used "ebonics" in posts with African-Americans as the topic in a lame attempt at humor.
- has consistently referred to AA in general as wanting "handouts", being uneducated, and being criminals.

It's funny to me how you all get a free pass to judge entire races of people, but when the same is done to you, it's "unfair". So...my ENTIRE race can be uneducated criminals, but I can't call someone who displays racist behavior a racist? GTFOHWTBS. Hell, if the bigoted shoe fits, wear it...but, I digress, the question was why most Black people always vote AGAINST Republicans, and your racist buddies came in here on cue and made my case for me. If nothing else, they are predictable.

I'll stand by my educated guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections