Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Trump supporters, what will you do if the nomination gets stolen from him?
Bow to the establishment and vote for who they pick 11 14.29%
Write in Trump, even though you know it will just help Hillary 18 23.38%
Vote for Hillary to punish the GOP establishment 18 23.38%
Skip the election entirely 30 38.96%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 12:13 AM

18,465 posts, read 15,244,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post

No, they don't. That may be your perception of what is morally right, but it isn't the reality. Only if the candidate gets 1237 delegates do they have to nominate that candidate. If not, all bets are off and someone else can legitimately be picked, according to the letter of the rules, the rules mind you, that all the candidates agreed to when they entered the race via the Republican Party.
You do know I was speaking figuratively, right? Because judging from your response, it would seem like you thought I was speaking literally.

Quote:
Of course they said that, because neither of them would benefit from an open convention. If Cruz thought he stood a snowball's chance in an open convention, he'd be right there with Rubio and Kasich hoping for one. But regardless of what they said about it, that's not what the rules that they agreed to say has to happen. If neither gets 1237 delegates, the party is perfectly within it's rights to pick someone else, and no one will have gotten "robbed"....

I never expected to change your mind. Like they say, you can't reason someone out of a position that they weren't reasoned in to in the first place. But for anyone out there who might be just reading through
this thread, I want them to know that there are other ways to look at this situation that don't line up with your views. Your view, in my opinion, is the irresponsible, reckless view. They can decide for themselves.
Funny, I would describe your view the same exact way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2016, 12:42 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,893,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
You do know I was speaking figuratively, right? Because judging from your response, it would seem like you thought I was speaking literally.

Funny, I would describe your view the same exact way.
For the first time, I just looked at your location. Two states that are a very deep shade of blue. Assuming you actually live there, your point is moot, because your vote isn't going to count anyway. The reality is that the electoral votes from either of those states is likely going to the Democrats the way they always do.

Republican party isn't losing anything by you refusing to vote for them.

Old 03-12-2016, 12:47 AM

18,465 posts, read 15,244,932 times
Quote:
For the first time, I just looked at your location. Two states that are a very deep shade of blue. Assuming you actually live there, your point is moot, because your vote isn't going to count anyway. The electoral votes from either of those states is going to the Democrats like they always do.

Republican party isn't losing anything by you being mad at them.
Yes. Because I'm the only one who feels that way.

Old 03-12-2016, 04:19 PM

2,141 posts, read 1,387,055 times
If the GOP is successful in stealing it away from Trump, 2016 will be known as the year the GOP committed suicide.

And i will not vote this year if they do it.

Old 03-13-2016, 01:05 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,133 times
Trump will run as an independent. The election will most likely lead to a runoff in which he WOULD have a chance to win.

Old 03-13-2016, 01:10 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,589,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Trump will run as an independent. The election will most likely lead to a runoff in which he WOULD have a chance to win.
if no candidate gets 270:

"If no candidate receives a majority of the Electoral College votes in a US Presidential election, the states' delegations to the House of Representatives select the president. Each state's delegation receives one vote. The House must select from the top three Electoral College vote getters (i.e. the three candidates with the highest Electoral College vote totals), and the winner must receive the majority of votes. A minimum 2/3rds quorum (i.e. 2/3rds of the states's delegations must be present, and the winner must get a simple majority of that quorum). Only state delegations can vote in such a tie-breaker (e.g. the District of Columbia's Electoral representatives are excluded, and D.C. does not get a vote). Voting rounds continue until there is a winner."

Old 03-13-2016, 01:13 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
if no candidate gets 270:

"If no candidate receives a majority of the Electoral College votes in a US Presidential election, the states' delegations to the House of Representatives select the president. Each state's delegation receives one vote. The House must select from the top three Electoral College vote getters (i.e. the three candidates with the highest Electoral College vote totals), and the winner must receive the majority of votes. A minimum 2/3rds quorum (i.e. 2/3rds of the states's delegations must be present, and the winner must get a simple majority of that quorum). Only state delegations can vote in such a tie-breaker (e.g. the District of Columbia's Electoral representatives are excluded, and D.C. does not get a vote). Voting rounds continue until there is a winner."
So I was wrong, oops.

Old 03-13-2016, 01:14 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,227,294 times
What is the point of voting? I know this is what they want, people to stop voting and have low voter turnout so a Hitler can weasel in. However, if they steal the vote, that means we are at the point of no return, so again, what is the point?

Old 03-13-2016, 02:16 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,217,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravityMan View Post

Folks who want outsiders to shake things up need to pay attention to down-ticket races and vote in outsiders to Congress whenever possible. That would make a bigger impact than electing just Trump or Sanders. However, there's the risk that voting in the outsider might be even worse. Be careful what you wish for.
No matter who the nominees are, it will be interesting to see the impact there will be on this year's Congressional races.

If Trump is the nominee, who will his supporters vote for in the House and Senate?

If the nomination is "stolen" from Trump, who will his supporters vote for in the House and Senate?

Old 03-13-2016, 09:54 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,893,585 times
I said earlier in the thread that I would vote for Trump in the general if he were the nominee, even though I can't stand him. I said I would do it, because even he would be better than Hillary and I must put what's best for the country ahead of my own personal opinions.'

I am now ready to rescind that pledge.

If Trump is the Republican nominee, I WILL NOT vote for him. I just can't see Trump sitting in the situation room, being in charge of having to make a split second decision that could cost our soldiers their lives.

I won't vote for Hillary either, I will likely wright in some other Republican name, but if it came right down to it, I would even rather Hillary be sitting at that table than Donald Trump.

I said I would do what is best for this country ahead of everything else, and I have now decided what is best for this country is for Trump to never set foot in the White House, even if that means the alternative is Hillary Clinton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections