U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2016, 09:07 AM

58,052 posts, read 40,801,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
On both sides. To get business done because that's what federal politicians have demanded to this point. That's what Trump wants to end: pay to play.
And just HOW does he plan on weaning Congress off the lobbyists' teat?

HINT: 'Make America great Again' is meaningless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
They moved and are moving their plants to Mexico. Cheaper labor. No import tariff (NAFTA). Keeps prices lower. Goodbye American jobs.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/23/bu...owth.html?_r=0
Doesn't answer my question. If America's in such dire shape as was alleged, why did people decide to buy 17,500,00 vehicles? Doesn't matter where they were made, it's normally the second largest investment people make next to their houses and sales were at an all time high, doesn't seem like dire straits to me.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:09 AM

14,651 posts, read 10,552,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
If there is a Contested Convention only TWO people will be on the ballot according to the rules - Ted Cruz and Donald Trump. You have to have won 8 states to be on the ballot. No one else qualifies, not even Mitt Romney.

The second round all delegates will be unbound. That means that Ted Cruz will be our next President.
Those rules expire the day before the convention. The pre-2012 stipulation was 5 states. They will find a way to include a bigger pool of eligible candidates if Trump doesn't get that magic 1237 delegate number. At this juncture, they will do what they can to prevent Trump from being the nominee, and it seems they feel that way if it even costs them the election.

Cruz also knows that unless he is nipping right at Trump's heals they won't choose him, either. He has a chance if they are close. They will accept Cruz to prevent the appearance that they are totally ignoring the electorate.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:14 AM

1,705 posts, read 826,315 times
Seriously why is the OP acting as if there is a conspiracy to have a brokered convention. This is a simple math problem, which is why they are discussing it. Right now, there is statistically a good chance Trump will not have enough delegates for a majority, which is why the convention could be brokered. This is nothing new, that rule has always been in place.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:15 AM

1,658 posts, read 1,851,170 times
They won't take the nomination from Trump if he has the most delegates even if he's short of the 1237. It would pretty much be the end of the party and they would lose all of his supporters, guaranteeing a victory for Clinton. I'd like to think the GOP leaders are smarter than that. After he takes a commanding lead on Tuesday don't be surprised to see most of the GOP giving him their support. All of that "we can't support Trump" nonsense goes out the window when it comes down to beating Clinton and the Democrats.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:19 AM

They are going to screw Trump at the convention

They?

If anything, I think Trump screwed himself. IF he's really the outsider, non-establishment, non-politician candidate he claims to be it made no sense from the beginning for him to seek either the Democratic or Republican nomination.

It would've made a lot more sense for a supposed outsider to run as an (I),.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:22 AM

1,050 posts, read 543,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
They are going to screw Trump at the convention

They?

If anything, I think Trump screwed himself. IF he's really the outsider, non-establishment, non-politician candidate he claims to be it made no sense from the beginning for him to seek either the Democratic or Republican nomination.

It would've made a lot more sense for a supposed outsider to run as an (I),.
Unfortunately, anyone wanting to reform either party and the system doesn't have an icicle's chance in hell of becoming a viable candidate if they run Independent. We've seen how that doesn't work election cycle after election cycle.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:26 AM

66,239 posts, read 30,145,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And just HOW does he plan on weaning Congress off the lobbyists' teat?
By not rubber stamping Congress. Has he not made that clear?

Quote:
If America's in such dire shape as was alleged, why did people decide to buy 17,500,00 vehicles?
Because American auto plants are located in Mexico, labor is cheaper in Mexico, there are no import tariffs for goods from Mexico (NAFTA), and therefore the price of many vehicles are lower than they would be if made in the US.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:26 AM

4,814 posts, read 3,259,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Those rules expire the day before the convention. The pre-2012 stipulation was 5 states. They will find a way to include a bigger pool of eligible candidates if Trump doesn't get that magic 1237 delegate number. At this juncture, they will do what they can to prevent Trump from being the nominee, and it seems they feel that way if it even costs them the election.

Cruz also knows that unless he is nipping right at Trump's heals they won't choose him, either. He has a chance if they are close. They will accept Cruz to prevent the appearance that they are totally ignoring the electorate.
I wasn't aware the rules expire the day before convention. Or are you being facetious about them changing the rules any time it suits?

Old 03-14-2016, 09:33 AM

506 posts, read 375,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
They won't take the nomination from Trump if he has the most delegates even if he's short of the 1237. It would pretty much be the end of the party and they would lose all of his supporters, guaranteeing a victory for Clinton. I'd like to think the GOP leaders are smarter than that. After he takes a commanding lead on Tuesday don't be surprised to see most of the GOP giving him their support. All of that "we can't support Trump" nonsense goes out the window when it comes down to beating Clinton and the Democrats.

It isn't up to the GOP to give him the votes, he will have to cobble together the delegates needed to win on the first ballot from the uncommitted pool just like Ford did in 1976. The uncommitted pool will be pretty big, if 2 more candidates get out.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Forest View Post
Unfortunately, anyone wanting to reform either party and the system doesn't have an icicle's chance in hell of becoming a viable candidate if they run Independent. We've seen how that doesn't work election cycle after election cycle.
I'm not so sure, for one thing he's got the $$$ to run an independent campaign. Somebody's eventually gotta kill the two party system before it kills the country. I don't even like him but would vote for him as an (I), believing the benefit of smacking down both parties would be worth 4 years of his bluster. But never as a (D) or an (R).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or