Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 11:29 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times

Advertisements

I just hope that the Cleveland leaders ask for the national guard before the convention. I am worried what will come about if there is a brokered convention.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:32 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I don't think Ohio is critical. It sure would speed up the inevitability, but Trump is way ahead in almost all remaining states. I think there needs to be more upsets besides Ohio for him to fall short.
I agree. Ohio would give Trump a boost but Fl. is a must win and almost twice the delegates. Trum will win Fl. The Trump train will not be derailed by what happens in Ohio.

Take me in oh tender woman
Take me in for heaven's sake
Take me in oh tender woman cried Kasich the ssssssssssss<

Old 03-14-2016, 11:37 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
If the Pub establishment takes the nomination from the candidate with the most delegates and gives it to someone with fewer or even no delegates, They'll have some splainin' to do. And an audience that won't be very receptive to their excuses.

It'll make for superb entertainment.

And a big Dem victory in November.

Well 1968 for the Democrats was similar. Humphrey (despite winning no primaries) still got the nomination. He led despite (Robert) Kennedy and (Eugene) McCarthy's wins in the primaries after California's primary results were released.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:45 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Well 1968 for the Democrats was similar. Humphrey (despite winning no primaries) still got the nomination. He led despite (Robert) Kennedy and (Eugene) McCarthy's wins in the primaries after California's primary results were released.

And that didn't go over so well with the voters. If Wallace hadn't run as a 3rd party candidate, Nixon would have won in historic fashion. As it was, he still won, but Wallace took lots of votes that otherwise would have gone GOP.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:51 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Heres a write up on how Trump can get screwed even if his delegate count is sufficient to be the peoples choice for nominee=
Could Trump Still Lose if He Wins GOP Delegates? | LawNewz
If he does achieve the required delegate count and the party hands that nomination to some one else buckle your seatbelts as its gonna get rough.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:55 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,513,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Heres a write up on how Trump can get screwed even if his delegate count is sufficient to be the peoples choice for nominee=
Could Trump Still Lose if He Wins GOP Delegates? | LawNewz
If he does achieve the required delegate count and the party hands that nomination to some one else buckle your seatbelts as its gonna get rough.
I am a Cruz supporter, but I will not support that and I am sure Ted Cruz won't support it either.

If Donald Trump gets to 1,237, he wins. Period.

If not, then he doesn't. The ultimate winner will have 1,237+ delegates.

Old 03-14-2016, 12:02 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Humphrey did win several caucuses.

And Robert Kennedy died before the convention, leaving his delegates up in the air.

The division in the Democratic party was over the war. The party went with a war supporter, the voters went the opposite direction.

What we need to be asking ourselves is what is the division in the GOP. Is there a single issue that divides Trump supporters from the establishment GOP? If there isn't, then the fractures in the GOP might be very difficult to recover from.

Old 03-14-2016, 12:03 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,232,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Well Kasich is the only sane one left.

Since I'd rather have Hillary I hope he's not the R nominee since he would beat her.

However, I would prefer him over Trump even though Trump would lose to Hillary because I think our country would suffer serious damage if a character as disgusting as Trump can actually win a major party nomination for president.
Kasich would not beat Hillary simply because most Republicans I know simply will not vote for him. They'll just stay at home... It will be Romney part 2.

Old 03-14-2016, 12:19 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,232,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I think they consider losing these next four years as preferable to allowing Trump to re-define their party as the 'racist party' of building walls and religious tests, bombing families, etc, and race warfare. His inability to tone down his rhetoric this week-end was not his smartest move.

I don't know that for sure - but that is the buzz I'm hearing. If they allow him to run, he still won't win a general and perhaps destroy the Republican party forever.

Trump isn't redefining the party as the "racist party". Democrats have been hard at work doing that for at least 15 years. It's utterly bogus but that's their strategy.

And if anyone is engaging in "race warfare" it's Democrats. It's practically all they do. Democrats are literally down to one and only one political tool: Call everyone else a racist, all the time.

Old 03-14-2016, 02:19 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Default Don't Forget - Trump Will Sue Cruz if he's Brokered in

People are forgetting this, Trump has a Trump card. If the Republican party tries to rip away the nomination from Trump because at the convention he has, say 49.5% and Cruz has 39.5% of the vote, then Cruz will be hauled into court because he's Canadian. The constitution says only a natural born citizen can become president, there will be a supreme court fight on what the framers meant by "natural born" and I'm thinking Trump's lawyers will have a strong argument that being born in Canada doesn't exactly fit the bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections