Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 07:51 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,699,705 times

Advertisements

My point is that trump says it is impossible to manufacture in the US, but it clearly is not impossible.

Some of these companies may sell in stores, some may only sell online. But, they can be found, if one takes the trouble to do the research.
Here is another nice, long list. Even includes bargain socks!

Clothing Made In The USA - Americans Working
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2016, 07:52 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,289,884 times
I'm not familiar with all of those brands. To me, brands like Carhart are made as work clothes and are more of a specialty type item. I have no need for work clothes so I don't buy that brand even though I am willing to spend a little more money to have something nice made in the USA. At one time, I tried to find some American made clothes online to fit my needs. I got tired of looking. There was a lot of mom and pop type stuff that had not evolved to where it was usable for my needs.

I think Trump's point is that for whatever clothing demographic he is targeting, he has to be able to compete on price. He can't do it alone. If his competition can manufacture for pennies on the dollar sold by manufacturing in a foreign country then he also has to do the same to remain competitive. We, as Americans, have to decide collectively that we are going to support American made clothing. We are going to have to even out the playing field. I'm not sure what he has proposed as a remedy if anything. I can think of imposing a tax or penalty on clothing imported from another country for not having to meet our emissions/environmental standards. Maybe we need a penalty for sending our money away from this country never to return. NAFTA hurt us, maybe we need to remedy that. Is China still a most favored nation with special privileges? Maybe they shouldn't be.

Maybe we need to target some of the clothing designers to instill some American pride. I'd happily buy some cute American made clothes in red, white and blues or a states collection to somehow represent the local flavor.

Last edited by Sarahsez; 03-13-2016 at 08:16 PM..

Old 03-13-2016, 07:59 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Yes in a country of 300+ million that led the world in Manufacturing and Technology advancements in that industry for over a Century your list is overwhelming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
trump says he can't manufacture in the US because of current laws... but, these companies are managing to do so. Seems to me that y'all salt-of-the-earth Americans must own something from a company on this list... not that anyone with any taste would match up a Pendleton coat or Hart Shaffner & Marks suit with a trump shirt or tie. But, the All American Clothing stores are in malls, and Carhart is in Tractor Supply, so don't start saying that this stuff is all too expensive for you to buy.

Made in America: The short list - CNN.com

You should see the whole list, just from a single website. (Google is your friend) Lots of potential companies to buy American made stuff from, who are gritting their teeth and manufacturing in the US in violation of trump's law.

This is just the apparel, since apparently trump thinks it is against the law to make his apparel in the US:
- All American Clothing
- American Apparel
- American Trench
- Askov Finlayson
- Baldwin Denim
- Black Halo
- Buck Mason
- Carhartt
- Columbiaknit
- Emerson Fry
- Epaulet
- FairEnds
- Gitman Bros.
- Hanky Panky
- Hart Schaffner Marx
- Hickey Freeman
- Imogene and Willie
- Left Field
- Nanette Lepore
- Oxxford Clothes
- Pendleton Woolen Mills
- Pointer Brand
- Raleigh Denim
- Taylor Stitch
- Todd Shelton
- Unis
- Westerlind
- Wild Fox

Old 03-13-2016, 08:07 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,330,051 times
Quote:
My point is that trump says it is impossible to manufacture in the US, but it clearly is not impossible.

Some of these companies may sell in stores, some may only sell online. But, they can be found, if one takes the trouble to do the research.
Here is another nice, long list. Even includes bargain socks!

Clothing Made In The USA - Americans Working
Oh, I agree. I know from experience.

It's just become more of a niche industry. Either smaller operations or very high end (or both in some cases). Mr. Trump is certainly not "right" in this case, but I will say, the larger the operation, the harder it is to keep it in the US.

What bothers me is when a designer label demands a premium price for an inferior product....or when you see a once US made product move overseas....and the prices stay the same or even rise.

Old 03-13-2016, 08:11 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,324,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
According to this link, GItman is the last remaining shirt maker in the US. In stock dress shirts Dress start at $145. And sport shirts start at $135.

Gitman Brothers
Not sure what you are complaining about considering at the same malls you are going to find Ferragamo t-shirts at Nieman-Marcus will set you back $195.00!

If you go hunting for bargains you can purchase a Gitman Brothers dress shirt at Sierra Trading Post for as low as $35.00. It just won't be in season.

Of course none of that is relevant because Gitman the list above lists not only manufatures of Amerian clothing and apparel but manufactures who are retailers as well. You can find American apparel manufactures who Trump certainly could have contracted to sew his clothing AND one would think that the Trump Brand would justify prices like those of the top men's clothing brands.

Old 03-13-2016, 08:15 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,552,583 times
Classic Full Zip Hooded Sweatshirt | American Giant.

Great hoodies, good quality, american made cotton, american manufactured by americans. Their flagship hoodie is $89.00. I have their heavy weight and their light weight hoodie. Love them both. They are fitted and stylish, not sloppy looking.

Old 03-13-2016, 08:15 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,271,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Donny just sells the right to put his name on a product to those companies. Once he's got their $$$ he develops convenient amnesia about what they're doing with his name.
That's the problem right there. He is supposed to personally kill the cows before he puts his name on the steak.

Old 03-13-2016, 08:22 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,271,829 times
Quote:
Mexican made jeans for $10 or American jeans for $300. This is a false choice. Someone who knows something about business should look into this and find out why. Tack on 35% tariff to cover cost of doing business in this country with all the labor and environmental laws and Levi's can't sell jeans for $10. And to those who might want that, well, I am sorry every product has a cost and you can't ave a pair of jeans for $10.

Old 03-13-2016, 08:25 PM

23,548 posts, read 12,525,568 times
Quote:
trump says the laws are preventing him from manufacturing in the US, and he is lying.

Please provide proof of Trump saying it's against the law to manufacture in the US.
Everything he sells for his campaign, shirts, caps, etc., etc., are being made in the US.

Old 03-13-2016, 08:31 PM

22,471 posts, read 11,995,014 times
Quote:
Hey, I didn't say y'all were the sort to buy the clothing on the list, after all most of y'all shop the crap at Walmart. but, the point is that there are plenty of clothing companies making their stuff in the US. trump says the laws are preventing him from manufacturing in the US, and he is lying. Plenty of companies do it, and some Americans actually purchase their goods.

Here is another long list: Clothing Made In The USA - Americans Working
Well, gee, how condescending of you to say "Hey, I didn't say y'all were the sort to buy the clothing on the list, after all most of y'all shop the crap at Walmart." How low of you.

I guess that you are wealthy enough to buy the expensive clothing those manufacturers make. That explains your lack of sensitivity.

Did it ever occur to you that people who shop at Walmart do so because they can't afford to go elsewhere? Also, in some areas of the country, Walmart is about the only place where they can shop since Walmart has a habit of killing off the mom and pop stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections