Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 04:22 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure how the GOP is in trouble. Far more people are voting in the GOP primaries than in the DEM primaries this time. DEM primary participation is way down from '08.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 05:07 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
Rubio is out. Trump is winning. He is popular. He has betrayed his wealthy class and its interests in favor of working class Americans and particularly native whites. Whether he wins or not, his popularity reflects the distance between the GOP and the conservative base.

To be fair, trump reflects public opinion.

So where does the GOP go from here?
Where does he go? I think he will go to being the GOP nominee, and then rejected in general elections.

Old 03-16-2016, 05:15 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,116,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
Rubio is out. Trump is winning. He is popular. He has betrayed his wealthy class and its interests in favor of working class Americans and particularly native whites. Whether he wins or not, his popularity reflects the distance between the GOP and the conservative base.

To be fair, trump reflects public opinion.

So where does the GOP go from here?
Well, to be precise, Mr. Trump reflects the opinion held by a plurality of Republicans . . . he is still hovering in the 30's and low 40's in most states.

There will be a fracturing of the GOP, and that was long time coming. Clearly, there are irreconcilable differences between the sane Republicans, one hand, and the Freedom Caucus (lol) and Teddy Cruz, on the other. Time for divorce.

Mick

Old 03-16-2016, 05:26 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,116,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I'm not sure how the GOP is in trouble. Far more people are voting in the GOP primaries than in the DEM primaries this time. DEM primary participation is way down from '08.
Well, to be fair, there are different ways of interpreting that data.

Think about it, if Mr. Trump supporters are mostly responsible for the record turnout, Mr. Trump's % would be a lot higher than 30's and low 40's as compared against the poll numbers. That's just simple math. Since it isn't, we know that other candidates are driving the turnout increase just as much. . . . clearly, there are a lot of anti-Trump votes reflected in the turnout. So, don't assume automatically that the turnout for Mr. Trump as the GOP nominee would be just as high. It clearly won't.

And we all know that Mr. Trump will be rectally shafted by the establishment at the convention or thereafter by way of an independent conservative candidate, so this discussion is probably moot.

Comparing Democratic turnout to 2008? How did 2012 turn out? Oh, that's right, yet another landslide.

Besides, I thought that rally attendance was the true metric to measure voting results???

Mick

Old 03-16-2016, 06:00 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times
Trump was asked by Morningjoe this AM, who is he preparing for Foreign Policy issue info if he were to become Prez? Who is he consulting with? Ans -- Myself and of course HOWARD STERN?

Old 03-16-2016, 07:17 AM

12,039 posts, read 6,568,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
If they want to win the general election, they stop the BS, coalesce around Trump and run the ball into the end zone. If they prefer that Hillary wins the general, they keep going down the same path they are on...
But how does the party coalesce behind a pathological narcissist and reckless juvenile??

Old 03-16-2016, 07:25 AM

12,039 posts, read 6,568,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkstar71 View Post
I don't get what everyone has against Trump.
Maybe because he tells it like it is without sugarcoating.
Here's what I have against Trump.
I AGREE with many of his policies, but sadly the guy is way way way too reckless in behavior and psychology to be president. He has a mental and egoic instability that is dangerous and insulting. He's a juvenile, and we need a mature adult leading us out of this mess Obama, the left, and the Republican establishment/political bosses have created.

His insulting and insecure ego will cause such chaos, division, and rioting in this country, we will be constantly distracted from solving the real problems --- it will always be about Trump, Trump, Trump.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:06 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
oh, good one, good one!

Let me try:

https://www.truthorfiction.com/obama-57-states/
Nice try, but isn't this thread titled Trump and the GOP? Please try to stay on topic.

Quote:
Touche?
Sorry--no points for deflections of the topic of thread topic Trump and GOP. You should not emulate Trump's debate technique when attempting to make a point--deflection does not work. People aren't all as stupid as he thinks they are.

Quote:
Suggestion. Grow up.
Suggestion. Read the TOS. Knowledge is a good thing.

Quote:
Non-sequitur. The media is overwhelmingly left leaning.

Media bias is real, finds UCLA political scientist | UCLA
Non sequitur. Media study has nothing to do with my post or the topic at hand.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:09 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,185,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
So is every rap star. Trump's personality and style appeal to many minorities and he can be expected to do better with them than most other Republican candidates have in the general election. His only real problem is with the "nice white people" who find him crude and are ever so worried that he's offending the diverse. If Trump brings lots of smiling brown faces into his campaign to reassure timid whites, his path to the presidency is clear.
Not sure what you are saying here.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:19 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,837,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Trump was asked by Morningjoe this AM, who is he preparing for Foreign Policy issue info if he were to become Prez? Who is he consulting with? Ans -- Myself and of course HOWARD STERN?
I doubt he was serious if the quote is correct. Any sitting President has the full arm of the State Dept.(plus other agencies ad nauseum), Council on Foreign Relations, Retired Federal types, and academics who would love to have a place in history and bump their CV. This is not really an issue. If anything, we have too many "experts" creating reports, white papers, presentations, dialogue,etc. to confuse anyone.

More interesting would be who he picks for Chief of Staff and Cabinet positions if he ends up with the Presidency. Perhaps include a number of Dems., Reps, non-aligned in that arena.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections