Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 01:57 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,111,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
To begin with, there is no way Latins, or any other race of people could become citizens before the November elections, so that blows the op's theory right out the window.

Bob.
You might want to read some posts before you type anything. 5-6 months for most people - we are talking about long-time green card holders here . . . . their applications seem to go faster and smoother. That's how long it took for my acquaintance, and that's typical for someone in her situation.

And way too many people in this thread assume (what do they say about that?) that these immigrants are just starting their applications now in March. Mr. Trump made his statements in June last year. The applications were up 11% in 2015 already, and up 14.5% in the last 6 months.

Sorry.

Mick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
AGAIN! FANTASTIC! Look, Trump isn't even president yet and all these people are becoming LEGAL CITIZENS! This is great!
Isn't it? Adding Democratic voters can't be bad!!!!!

They were already legal, so Mr. Trump's policies would have not affected them in any way, right?

Mick

Old 03-17-2016, 02:02 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post

They were already legal, so Mr. Trump's policies would have not affected them in any way, right?

Mick
They need it. Democrat turnout is way way down from 2008.

Old 03-17-2016, 02:02 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,266,686 times
Quote:
Average processing time is 6 months, but it's often faster.

They are applying because of Mr. Trump's rhetoric on immigrations policy and his tone on Hispanics (legal or illegal). Not to mention that many legal immigrants have illegal family members, friends, colleagues, etc., I would imagine. You would be super motivated if you believe that Mr. Trump will deport your grandma. I acknowledge that it's not all logical . . . it's the way Mr. Trump makes them feel.

Mick

what tone on legal Hispanics? Trump doesn't have a problem with LEGAL immigrants.

if Grandma is here ILLEGALLY she has to go........are Grandparents above the law now?

Old 03-17-2016, 02:05 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,266,686 times
Quote:
You might want to read some posts before you type anything. 5-6 months for most people - we are talking about long-time green card holders here . . . . their applications seem to go faster and smoother. That's how long it took for my acquaintance, and that's typical for someone in her situation.

And way too many people in this thread assume (what do they say about that?) that these immigrants are just starting their applications now in March. Mr. Trump made his statements in June last year. The applications were up 11% in 2015 already, and up 14.5% in the last 6 months.

Sorry.

Mick

Green Cards can't vote.

Difference Between U.S. Green Card and U.S. Citizenship | Nolo.com

Old 03-17-2016, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
They need it. Democrat turnout is way way down from 2008.
Crap, I missed the general election?? I should've set my alarm to wake up.

Mick

Old 03-17-2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
Yes, that's the whole point - the Latino green card holders are applying for citizenship to vote against Mr. Trump in November.

I don't see any correlation between my post that you quoted and your post. Can you explain?

Mick

Old 03-17-2016, 02:10 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:

Mick
I said "legal citizens", not "legal immigrants". Do you not know how to read?

Old 03-17-2016, 02:13 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,965,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I don't claim that I know how every latino thinks, but I assume within the Latino community, you have significant political differences depending on generations; people who are fourth- or fifth-generation Americans vs. people who are naturalized citizens. The response of those different groups will vary to some of Trump’s statements.

I can understand why some minorities folks are paranoid, but I don't think they have anything to worry about.
The few Hispanic Trump supporters I know the only thing they have in common is that they think Obama is a Muslim born in Kenya. According to some of them, when Obama won, "Los negros" took over the country.

I don't give a s... About immigration and I am a naturalized citizen. I don't need to bring anyone from anywhere. I'm just not gonna vote for some bigot who retweets false black statistics and panders to white supremacists. Not in a million years.

Old 03-17-2016, 02:15 PM

Quote:
what tone on legal Hispanics? Trump doesn't have a problem with LEGAL immigrants.
I've explained this before in this thread. You can read that. Just ask yourself why 80% of Hispanics have unfavorable view of The Donald, including 73% who have *very unfavorable* views of him. I am sure your response would be, "Gee, they don't understand what Mr. Trump was talking about the illegals." Maybe, but it doesn't matter at all . . . . they will feel what they will feel . . . . what matters is how they will vote.

Quote:
if Grandma is here ILLEGALLY she has to go........are Grandparents above the law now?
You missed the entire point again. If YOUR illegal grandma will be deported under Trump, wouldn't YOU do your best to ensure that does not happen? It's not a matter of legality when it is YOUR grandma, right? At least if you love your grandma. If not, that's okay - God gave you two.

Mick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections