Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2016, 02:39 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times

Advertisements

I thought this election was going to be a real snoozefest at the beginning, but it's really turned out to quite an eventful election season.
Amazing to see two candidates that seemed to have ZERO chance of succeeding. Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders actually have a good shot at their parties nomination.

Donald Trump is like the Teflon Don. No matter what the pundits,media ,establishment has thrown at him, it hasn't stuck and he comes back stronger than ever.

I imagine there will be many many books about this election and Trump's campaign for the Presidency.

A lot of politicians talk about 'shaking up Washington" but they generally are part of the actual establishment.

This businessman is beating the politicians at their own game, and it's really nice to see them being exposed.

Their policies may differ but both Bernie and Trump ARE shaking things up this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 02:56 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,725,923 times
He is the ANTI-PC Candidate.

Old 03-17-2016, 03:02 PM

12,390 posts, read 7,096,148 times
I agree, it's great to see anti-establishment candidates making progress.

Old 03-17-2016, 03:57 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times
I think both Sanders and Trump have surprised themselves and never expected this level of support. I don't know, it would feel like such a burden to me. They are both fighting some wicked people and hanging in there for their supporters. How many people would actually have the stamina for this?

I was happy to see so many Democrats come out to support Bernie, sort of giving the finger to Hillary.

Old 03-17-2016, 03:59 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,116,249 times
"Teflon Don" is an apt description. 1/1,000 of what he has said would torpedo anyone else's chances for the White House. But, actually, that's a commentary on his passionate followers.

Mick

Old 03-17-2016, 04:06 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,495,577 times
I agree. Trump is rewriting the way presidential campaigns are run. His run will be studied by political scholars and another good thing is that it may encourage other non-politicians to run for president in the future. This may help to keep the DC establishment on their toes in the future knowing that the voters can shake up their foundation with outsider candidates in the future.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:16 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
He is the ANTI-PC Candidate.
Unfortunately he gives every indication of being a one-trick pony.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:28 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
I agree, it's great to see anti-establishment candidates making progress.
Besides Trump's course rhetoric, what makes you think that Trump is anti-establishment? It sure isn't evident from his policy positions that he's any different than the other GOP candidates.

Trump wants to repeal Obamacare, just like the rest.
Trump's tax-plan cuts taxes, primarily on the wealthy and sours the debt, just like the rest.
Trump is anti-immigration, just like the rest.
Trump is anti-abortion, just like the rest.
Trump is pro-gun, just like the rest.

Those are current positions. Trump had contrary positions in different times in his life.

The point is, if other candidates are establishment and they have the same policy positions as Trump, what makes the two different. The only thing that I can come up with is ruder language.

The major differences really come to play when comparing to Democrats. Both Sanders and Clinton have tax-plans that reduce deficits. They are both pro-choice and for a sensible way to have a path to citizenship for immigrants; the both are for background checks when purchasing a gun; they both support Obamacare for now but Sanders would rather convert it into Medicare for all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections