Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2008, 09:38 PM

113 posts, read 277,487 times

Advertisements

I was wondering. After Obama's victory in Maine, who do you think will win the nomination and why? I was looking at some polls and it seems like Hillary can't even beat Mc Cain if she wins the nomination. Is this the end for Hillary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 09:41 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
I'd like to say Obama, but Texas and Ohio still lay ahead. Combine that with the whole "superdelegate" thing and I think Clinton might just do it.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:41 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,954,930 times
Obama. period.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:38 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
I'd like to say Obama, but Texas and Ohio still lay ahead. Combine that with the whole "superdelegate" thing and I think Clinton might just do it.
Carolina and everyone else, do you believe the superdelegates can be swayed? I believe they can. The Democrats don't want to nominate somebody that would be creamed by the opponent. Or perhaps the Democrats (like the Republicans) are so entrenched in "politics" that the seasoned veteran will get the nod over the perceived novice. Personally, I am supporting McCain. But I've been itching to vote for a Republican that really pisses off the Republicans for years.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:56 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by condorito View Post
I was wondering. After Obama's victory in Maine, who do you think will win the nomination and why? I was looking at some polls and it seems like Hillary can't even beat Mc Cain if she wins the nomination. Is this the end for Hillary?
McCain absolutely has NO chance to win the presidency. He's a conservative and people are sick to death of conservative politics as exemplified by Bush and his ridiculous policies. There's a serious backlash in the country because of the last 7 years. Many voters were suckered by the Republicans into voting for 4 more years. I feel that McCain is only present as a formality. A month ago, he wasn't even considered a serious candidate and only prevailed because the others were terribly bad as well. At least they were smart enough to recognize the mood of the country and bow out.

Whomever wins the Democratic nomination will be in the White House, no question. Republicans, dream on.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:33 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
obama is extremely liberal to win the general election. look at his overall ACLU rating of 82% and his ADA rating of 95%, while his his conservative rating is only 8%. that may be a little too extreme for most americans, but you never know.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:39 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
obama is extremely liberal to win the general election. look at his overall ACLU rating of 82% and his ADA rating of 95%, while his his conservative rating is only 8%. that may be a little too extreme for most americans, but you never know.

I understand your concern, but the US Constitution has a system of checks and balances. An Obama presidency with a well-balanced Congress, perhaps with a republican majority in at least one of the two branches, could be a workable combination.

Extreme is when too much power is concentrated in one group with an ideology.

Obama with a well-balanced Congress should not be too extreme in the least. In fact, it could be quite practical, working together, based on what works and what doesn't work for a broader base of the population than what we've had in recent years.

Obama is a uniter, Hillary is a divider, McCain is ho-hum either way.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:18 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by condorito View Post
At this point, it's obvious that it will be a struggle to the finish. The primaries will probably end with no clear winner. I suspect the super-d's will then cast their votes in favor of the candidate who's collected the most pledged delegates and the higher popular vote count.

My bet is that it will be Obama. His momentum is growing and from all appearances, Hillary's is waning. But nothing is certain. In political campaigns, momentum can swing quickly and decisively on a seemingly insignificant incident. Anyone who follows politics will know what I'm talking about when I mention "macaca."

Old 02-11-2008, 06:54 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,158,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
McCain absolutely has NO chance to win the presidency. He's a conservative and people are sick to death of conservative politics as exemplified by Bush and his ridiculous policies. There's a serious backlash in the country because of the last 7 years.
McCain is NOT a conservative. Neither is Bush. Please stop claiming that either of them are. Neither of them are for smaller government or reduced spending. That is the essence of being a conservative.

I'm hoping for Obama if we must have a liberal. At least he can be trained. Hillary is too divisive.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:05 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
Sorry, but those ratings don't mean a thing. They take a look at voting records on particular bills, but legislators might vote against a bill for one particular aspect of it that they don't agree with, even though they agree with the bill in principle. And it works the other way. They might join a bipartisan majority to get a bill passed because it contains something they want, even though they don't agree with the main language of the bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections