Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 05:04 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,742,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I'm not buying the "genuine curiosity" either. This is a sad play for Cruz. They try to disguise it, but it slips out.

OK, Cruz is the proclaimed "Christian", the "anointed" one and the reality is that everything I have read and seen indicate that he has been "separated from God" and this should concern Christians more than anything else.

The "separation from God" is the only explanation that I can see for Cruz no longer knowing right from wrong.

Isaiah 5:20 Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter.

https://www.bibletools.org/index.cfm...n-from-God.htm

The level of faith or type of faith or not is not my concern but someone touting and wearing their religion on their sleeve (Why Do So Many American Christians Ignore Jesus' Instructions? - C-D discussion on that) and committing the sin of deceit, lying from one side of his crooked mouth while talking about Christian values out of the other side of his crooked mouth.

I further believe that the look of Cruz's face is the evil that lurks in his soul coming out.

So, why are we discussing who Jesus would support with Trump. Our concern should be with Cruz when it comes to "Christianity". Trump nor his family members have not said that Trump is the anointed one.

I am a strong supporter of separation of church and state and the majority of Americans are, and I suspect Trump supporters have an even higher majority that support separation of church and state since that is the American way.

Rather than try to guess how Jesus would vote, try "googling". I think at some point, you'll realize here that we are wise to your "intent".

OP is a Sanders supporter, I did a search here. I don't think anything OP posts will turn Christians supporting Trump to Sanders. Abortion stops a beating heart and Bernie doesn't care.
My intent (besides, believe it or not, being sincerely curious / interested) was to point out some blatant hypocrisy.
And the separation of church and state has nothing to do with people having so little integrity that they don't feel any obligation to walk the talk in all areas of life.
Using the separation of church and state to rationalize the inability (or refusal) to reconcile their Christian values with the support of someone who doesn't uphold those values, is just that. A rationalization.
The separation of church and state has nothing to do with this and i could care less what religion or what spiritual beliefs and practices anyone has as long as they are as committed as possible (and it's darn difficult when one is the "leader of the free world" ) to doing no harm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
The Democratic candidates support abortion, the taking of innocent lives: http://www.nrlc.org/uploads/factshee...ionintheUS.pdf and you have acknowledged that to some degree.

The death penalty takes lives of violent criminals: Executions by Year | Death Penalty Information Center which you say the Republicans support.

Big difference.

And, then there are the victims of illegal aliens: Victims of Illegal Aliens Memorial

Frankly, wouldn't it be better if you just said what your issue is? Simply an anti-Trump in Sanders corner.

I'm open about who i support. I support Sanders but i'll vote for Clinton if need be. I live in California so it probably won't matter whether i vote or not but if there's any chance that trump will win California (doubtful) then i'll vote for Clinton.

But i wanted to ask the question to understand where people are coming from re; trump and to, as i've admitted, point out some hypocrisy.

And there is no justification for taking a life ... any life. Guilty or innocent.
And you should know by now how many innocent people have been incarcerated and then found, via DNA, to be innocent. So, it's not just about the fact that the taking of any life is anathema but it's also about humans making mistakes.
The problem with the abortion issue is that people disagree about when life begins. I don't want to go there. But i certainly feel and think that abortion beyond the 1st couple of months isn't o.k.. Unless it's medically necessary or if the woman has been raped or has been a victim of incest/rape.
And yet, imo, it's up to the woman to choose. That's why i said, i'm pro-choice/anti-abortion.

Old 03-19-2016, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I think Jesus is abhorred by people like Sanders who want to make people dependent on a big bureaucratic government. Isn't that what killed him?
Yeah, it's just like that.

Old 03-19-2016, 05:59 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,733,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskywalker View Post
O.K. Thank you for your thoughtful post. (I like the phrase from that country song, "Jesus take the wheel". That kind of surrender however doesn't come easily / readily to most whether they're Christians or not).

Anyway, speaking generally / broadly, i think the only instance of democrats / liberals being less concerned about the preservation of human life is when it comes to abortion. You can use that to argue that Republicans value life more than democrats / liberals but no. It's not so. And that's a whole other complex issue. And don't forget that it tends to be Republicans who favor the death penalty.
In Orthodox Judaism, because it's based on the Torah, several crimes carried the death penalty. Jesus never actually spoke against the death penalty and neither did his apostles insofar as we are aware. The Bible in it's entirety seems to be pro-capital punishment and not against. The Talmud tends to discourage the overuse of capital punishment, but the Talmud is also the very collection of tradition that Jesus contemptuously rejected.

Getting to the point: Is Jesus Christ pro-capital punishment for crimes such as first degree murder? Yes he probably would be. Would he favor the practice of abortion and it's legality? No he probably wouldn't.

Can't speak in absolutes though. Jesus isn't likely to post in this thread anytime soon to weigh in on where he actually stands on these matters.

Just bear in mind that while any Orthodox Judaism would view capital punishment, war and such as the God-given exception, they otherwise view the preservation of human life to be paramount. That means nothing else matters more. Kinda seals the deal, though he certainly disapproves of many of the positions taken by both parties.

Quote:
And Republicans who are less inclined to support programs for the poor, for children, for the mentally ill, etc..
Yes I already pointed that out. It's one of the great puzzles of the Republican Party. They're supposed to be the political party of Christianity, yet they're kinda lousy at doing the sorts of things that Jesus told us to do. Feed the hungry, clothe the naked, visit the prisoners in prison, help those the sick and anyone else in need, etc.

I do think that greater effort can and should be undertaken to stamp out fraud in programs that are in place to help people -- and just try to keep welfare recipients honest across the board. To me, that means pushing them down to the state and local level. I think that the feds are getting ripped of to the tune of at least $100 billion per year and that really bothers me. But it is puzzling to see Republican rhetoric about completely abolishing social programs, abolishing minimum wage, protecting the wealthy, etc. Not exactly following the teachings of Jesus.

Quote:
I'm pro-choice/anti-abortion btw ... unless it's medically necessary or the woman is a victim of rape or incest. I wish women would stop having unprotected sex! If you don't know how to not get pregnant and you don't want to get pregnant, then don't have sex. People tend to be irresponsible. I was. And i had an abortion many years ago and i still regret it. But that's me. And i'm as left as you can get. Abortion is all too often used as a form of birth control as i see it. And yet, it just has to be a woman's choice ... imo.

Other than abortion though there isn't any other arena where you can say that Republicans (again, speaking broadly and generally) display more concern for life ... human or otherwise not to mention the life of the planet. You don't see liberals denying climate change or denying the fact that humans have contributed to said change ... big time. And to deny the need of the planet is to deny the sacredness of life on this planet. All life.
I have my opinion on abortion but that's kinda irrelevant to this discussion. I'm trying to establish how Jesus -- a man who lived his life as an Orthodox Jew and who advocated for living an even higher moral standard across the board -- would view abortion. I cannot begin to fathom the notion that Jesus would approve nor enable the practice of abortions as birth control (which is about 97% of all abortions presently) in any way shape or form. He'd want to stop it ASAP.

I think your personal opinion is a decent approximation of where Jesus would stand on the matter. If a woman is raped or if her life is in danger, then allowances would probably make sense to Jesus Christ. Otherwise, in the interests of preserving human life, Jesus wouldn't want it to be legal and the sentencing for abortion would be pretty harsh. And because it is a preservation of human life issue, I expect that'd supercede all other considerations for Jesus.

If you have a compelling reason to believe otherwise, then that might be very interesting. I just have no idea how you'd get there based on the historical Jesus of Nazareth and what we know about him.

Put Jesus in charge and you'd see a whole lot of the good from each side upheld and improved. A whole lot of the nonsense on each side would get stamped out. Getting rid of Republican notions of not helping the poor and needy would be just one of many items he'd do away with. I'm a member of neither party for good reason. They're both incredibly flawed in their own ways. Neither party accurately represents my worldview. Both are extremely corrupt and full of crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections