Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 08:41 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,303,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
You've apparently watched different debates than I have, because I would not even remotely agree that One Issue Bernie has done anything but repeat his stump speech and prove the falseness of his claims that he has never run a negative campaign. He has been on the defensive and attacking at most of the debates, and not helping his case with voters he's trying to win over from Hillary.
I agree. While he's been more domineering, in terms of demonstrating a clear understanding of the issues and related facts, Hilary comes off as more the wonk - that is, less exiting, but knowledgeable and nuanced.

Sanders isn't bad in this regard, but in debates, especially lately, has come off more as a campaigner rather than anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Yes, I understand that. All I said was the anecdotal evidence favoring Sanders surprised me in light of the polling data favoring Clinton. I trust the polls more than I trust what I've seen moving in and around a very small part of Manhattan.
Sorry, my bad. I misunderstood.

Bernie supporters are generally more enthusiastic, so it doesn't surprise me. As a Hilary supporter I've said many times that she isn't the most inspiring candidate. But I appreciate that she's a hard-nosed, practical policy wonk. She do much to stimulate the limbic brain, but it really appealing to the neo-cortex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 09:25 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
I haven't been too eloquent this evening.
No apology necessary. If I had to be eloquent, I'd never post anything!

Quote:
What I meant was the anecdotal evidence here in NYC where I live indicates that the energy is with Sanders. That came as a surprise to me in light of limited poling data that shows Clinton leading by large margins. I'd be very surprised if she wins by 48%; that's 75:25.
I agree that 48 is very optimistic. I was only referring to the polls [URL="http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/election-2016/primary-forecast/new-york-democratic/"]listed here[/URL] that aren't up-to-date.

I missed "Meet The Press" but it's on MSNBC later. Bernie Sanders has frequently been a guest on that show. In fact, I think I've seen him more on TV than Hillary Clinton, despite the claims by supporters that he gets no media coverage.

Old 03-27-2016, 09:37 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
As a Registered Democrat in NY who will vote in the Primary, I would certainly like to see a debate.

As far as the Primary goes, I certainly think Clinton will win, but it will be fairly close. Cuomo faced a tougher than expected Primary challenge from the left, and he is more liberal than Clinton is, and Sanders is certainly more well known and better funded than Teachout is.

Old 03-27-2016, 09:39 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,955,379 times
We should be encouraged that a poll had Bernie at 15% in New York in late May, when only about 100 people in New York had good knowledge of Bernie. This means there is probably a strong yearning for someone with integrity, compassion and chutzpah all in one package.

Imagine seeing this on national TV watched by millions. If people had the chance to watch this, GOP would be down the drain already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trLdeK6RzIE

Old 03-27-2016, 09:40 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,303,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
As a Registered Democrat in NY who will vote in the Primary, I would certainly like to see a debate.

As far as the Primary goes, I certainly think Clinton will win, but it will be fairly close. Cuomo faced a tougher than expected Primary challenge from the left, and he is more liberal than Clinton is, and Sanders is certainly more well known and better funded than Teachout is.
Unless it's another MI, which is unlikely, it won't be close. NY is her home state, so it's unlikely polls showing Bernie will get clobbered are wrong, but we'll see.

Old 03-27-2016, 09:41 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
I think before NY makes less sense then doing it before April 26, given that there are so many primaries that day and many more people who will be paying attention. I'm not saying that New Yorkers can't want a debate, I get that.

But just going by the calendar, a debate prior to 5 primaries being held on the same day makes more sense than before one primary held on its own a week earlier. And we certainly don't need more than one! lol!

Old 03-27-2016, 09:58 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanapolicRiddle View Post
Unless it's another MI, which is unlikely, it won't be close. NY is her home state, so it's unlikely polls showing Bernie will get clobbered are wrong, but we'll see.
By no means do I think Bernie will win the Primary in NY, but I do think some of the dynamics are the same as the 2014 Primary for Gov, that was closer than expected.

Old 03-27-2016, 11:11 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
You've apparently watched different debates than I have, because I would not even remotely agree that One Issue Bernie has done anything but repeat his stump speech and prove the falseness of his claims that he has never run a negative campaign. He has been on the defensive and attacking at most of the debates, and not helping his case with voters he's trying to win over from Hillary.
I agree. I also think he's starting to sound like a bully and a sore loser. She's been very gracious and congratulates him when he wins.

"His lack of acknowledgment for Clinton’s victories indicates that he is less than eager to begin the reconciliation process that would spell the end of his own campaign. And in the final fight, Sanders appears to be forgetting the post-game high-five that defines good sportsmanship."

[URL="http://www.politico.com/story/2016/03/bernies-graciousness-gap-221252"]SOURCE[/URL]

Old 03-27-2016, 11:38 PM

2,973 posts, read 1,972,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I agree. I also think he's starting to sound like a bully and a sore loser. She's been very gracious and congratulates him when he wins.

"His lack of acknowledgment for Clinton’s victories indicates that he is less than eager to begin the reconciliation process that would spell the end of his own campaign. And in the final fight, Sanders appears to be forgetting the post-game high-five that defines good sportsmanship."

SOURCE
I agree, if bern people approach me I will just say I know all of his policies and am an enthusiastic supporter of Bernie Sanders just so they don't annoy the hell out of me.

Old 03-28-2016, 01:07 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
Look at Michigan not a smart move for Hillary. Though if she doesn't go for it he should hold a Town Hall Meeting answering questions in various locations across NY. Bernie will beat Clinton in NY by big numbers, but won't take NYC district probably.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections