Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 07:49 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times

Advertisements

Summed up perfectly here. (and he's no fan of Trump)

https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/stat...94683873595393
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 07:52 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I hate it when people say we should nuke someone. Have you ever watched the documentary about the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings? It was horrific what happened to them. The pilots felt so guilty afterwards. I saw an interview with a pilot who said every time he hears someone say we should nuke a country, he gets sick. Because he knows what that actually means now after the fact.

I for one hope that never happens again on the planet, even for the worst of the worst extremists. When I hear candidates talking about making the sand glow, it really bothers me.

Anyway, you really should watch the documentary because it is an education.

White Light/Black Rain: The Destruction of Hiroshima and Nagasaki (2007) - IMDb
Well here is the thing about the nuking. If you knew people who were on the western front, they may not be here today. I wouldn't be, my grandfather swore up and down while he was stationed in the Navy, he had a physical for an invasion of Japan. Millions would have died. Many of us today in the boomers and on wouldn't exist had it not been for the bomb, they were a necessary evil that we should only use in extreme cases. The war in Japan was just that.

Old 03-30-2016, 07:53 AM

21,474 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Well here is the thing about the nuking. If you knew people who were on the western front, they may not be here today. I wouldn't be, my grandfather swore up and down while he was stationed in the Navy, he had a physical for an invasion of Japan. Millions would have died.
I didn't say whether it was right or wrong, just that after the unleashing of the unknown the people who did it regretted it. I do believe it saved lives, but at such a high cost! I say after those two actual bombings, it should never be an option again. And people should know what they are saying, even if they don't really mean it. I recommend every person watch the documentary just for the educational value of it.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:05 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,652,035 times
Quote:
I didn't say whether it was right or wrong, just that after the unleashing of the unknown the people who did it regretted it. I do believe it saved lives, but at such a high cost! I say after those two actual bombings, it should never be an option again. And people should know what they are saying, even if they don't really mean it. I recommend every person watch the documentary just for the educational value of it.
What you are saying is saving lives should not be a priority but how you feel is.
It's understandable how people could feel sick when they strip away the nonsense to see what is left.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:06 AM

Quote:
I didn't say whether it was right or wrong, just that after the unleashing of the unknown the people who did it regretted it.
Not according to this.

The Crew of the Enola Gay on Dropping the Atomic Bomb | Mental Floss

Old 03-30-2016, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
What you are saying is saving lives should not be a priority but how you feel is.
It's understandable how people could feel sick when they strip away the nonsense to see what is left.
No, what I am saying is when they dropped those bombs they really didn't know what would happen. Now they do, and the people directly involved were sick about it afterwards. They are the ones who got physically ill when others said we should nuke someone in an offhand comment. And I am sure they also feel it saved lives by making the invasion of mainland Japan unnecessary.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Your link had all the quotes I was talking about. They said we should never do it again. I probably shouldn't have said they regretted it because that was not what I meant, but they did say it should never happen again. The documentary showed the pilots meeting with people who survived the bombings, and it was a very emotional experience. They truly believed it shortened the war and saved lives, but that doesn't mean they weren't horrified by it.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:19 AM

LOL

Trump schools Gloria Vanderbelt's son.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNwN11j954Y

Old 03-30-2016, 08:19 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
No, what I am saying is when they dropped those bombs they really didn't know what would happen. Now they do, and the people directly involved were sick about it afterwards. They are the ones who got physically ill when others said we should nuke someone in an offhand comment. And I am sure they also feel it saved lives by making the invasion of mainland Japan unnecessary.
Many vets from World War I I and Vietnam don't look that fondly over their "vacations" despite it being romanticized especially with WW2. War is ugly whether it is the battlefield or bomb dropping.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:20 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,059,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Summed up perfectly here. (and he's no fan of Trump)

https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/stat...94683873595393
Piers and Trump have been best buds for years - from your favorite Daily Fail rag
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections