Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 09:52 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
If Donny didn't want to toe an establishment party line he shouldn't have sought an establishment party's nomination, he always had the option of running as an (I). Not very good planning from an allegedly smart man.
So it's your contention that Trump shouldn't have committed to an establishment party. So then by that logic you should have no problem with Trump pulling out of the agreement they asked him to sign.

Can't have it both ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 09:53 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Of course it does. You were whining in the above post about how Trump was being treated poorly.
Cherry picking.

I said treated poorly by the GOP. I said nothing about the media. No cigar for you.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:56 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Of course it does. You were whining in the above post about how Trump was being treated poorly. I pointed out that Trump, unlike any other candidate, got $2 billion in free advertising. If that's being treated poorly, chain me to a wall (a beautiful wall.)

It really takes a lot of chutzpah for someone who acts like a buffoon to complain that he's being treated badly because of his buffoonery. If Trump didn't want to get dirty, he shouldn't play in the mud.
This is a problem I have with Trump, the amount of interview time he gets and not even on cable news compared to other candidates is unfair. If I were a candidate, I'd sue over it. Trump is showing he is establishment despite it not being poltically.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:57 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Smile Trump says he won't support G.O.P. nominee

We agree on this point.

Old 03-30-2016, 10:01 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Show me one rule that says the GOP establishment can thwart the efforts of their leading candidate to become the GOP nominee. The GOP chickensh*ts didn't want Trump running as an Independent as they knew his popularity would destroy any chance they had of beating HRC come Nov 2016.

I'm a registered Republican but not for long if the shenanigans continue. Like many others, I will vote Dem in November if the GOP frontrunner doesn't get the nomination. GOP frontrunner means people's choice ...
Just playing historian now. The long-standing rule is that if one gets a majority of the delegates going into the convention, that candidate gets the nomination. In total, 2,472 delegates will meet in Cleveland to select the party’s nominee. That means that a candidate needs 1,237 delegates (50 percent +1) in order to capture the nomination.

There is no rule that even remotely implies that a candidate who has the most delegates is entitled to the nomination. There have been many leading candidates, who didn't have a majority, denied the nomination.

Old 03-30-2016, 10:03 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Just playing historian now. The long-standing rule is that if one gets a majority of the delegates going into the convention, that candidate gets the nomination. In total, 2,472 delegates will meet in Cleveland to select the party’s nominee. That means that a candidate needs 1,237 delegates (50 percent +1) in order to capture the nomination.

There is no rule that even remotely implies that a candidate who has the most delegates is entitled to the nomination. There have been many leading candidates, who didn't have a majority, denied the nomination.
To me, the fact that someone can win a plurality of delegates, votes, and states, sometimes significantly so, then be denied the nomination goes against everything the nomination process should stand for.

Old 03-30-2016, 10:06 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
To me, the fact that someone can win a plurality of delegates, votes, and states, sometimes significantly so, then be denied the nomination goes against everything the nomination process should stand for.
Remember that many of those states were "winner take all," meaning that the leading candidate gets all the delegates, even though most of the voters in that state may not have voted for that candidate.

Old 03-30-2016, 10:19 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
That is true IFF he were to get the 1,237 before the convention. If the Republicans were to disregard that and nominate another person, we'd see the problem you speak of Without it, we can delegates defect to other candidates on the second ballot and beyond. No new rules here.

Old 03-30-2016, 10:26 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Good for him.

Old 03-30-2016, 10:48 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,196,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
That is true IFF he were to get the 1,237 before the convention. If the Republicans were to disregard that and nominate another person, we'd see the problem you speak of Without it, we can delegates defect to other candidates on the second ballot and beyond. No new rules here.
Very simple ... Trump will lead by a large margin at convention time. He may indeed have the 1,237 necessary for the nomination. If he is denied at the convention by some rule change or GOP hijinx, Trump will run as an Independent and dash any hopes of Ted Cruz becoming the next president.

End of story ... history or no history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections