Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 04:25 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0484 View Post
Abortion is a red herring that derails the issue of important social and economic issues.
I disagree. I wish Chris Matthews asked Trump about wealthy women who fly to other countries to get abortions. Would they be punished if the laws of that country allow them?

I thought of this during that interview because I knew a man (not a significant other) who told me he paid for 3 abortions. He was a Republican and liked to push my buttons on issues, since it was 2012 and he hated Obama. I once asked him, if you're not anti-abortion, how would a woman get one if it were illegal? He answered without a moment's hesitation. "All they'd have to do is get on a plane and fly to France or any country where it's legal." I didn't know how to respond since he apparently lived in a bubble that only people on his income level could enter.

In other words, this IS about social and economic issues. If services for women (not just abortions) are taken away, only women who cannot afford them will suffer. I'm sorry that you and Senator Sanders fail to see this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 06:50 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I disagree. I wish Chris Matthews asked Trump about wealthy women who fly to other countries to get abortions. Would they be punished if the laws of that country allow them?
And therein was a big problem before Roe v Wade. Abortion laws were passed at the state level and women with means could travel to one of the few states in which they were legal. Women in Dallas usually flew to NYC. It's always been a socioeconomic issue as well as a personal privacy matter.

We're seeing that happen all over again here in TX. The legislature has passed laws resulting in places in TX where women have to travel hundreds of miles to obtain a legal abortion. That effectively shuts out women who can't afford to take off work and travel.

Old 04-01-2016, 06:34 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,729,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Then I suggest that you check again because abortion rights are under an never before seen assault in many states.

Nothing prevents a woman from travelling to a pro-abortion state for the procedure if it is banned by the state they currently reside. They don't sell many snow tires in Florida, but people still know where to go to get them if needed.

Old 04-01-2016, 07:33 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
It has been my experience that the anti choice folks have been trying to do away with abortion rights since Roe v Wade.
Time was, when I told youngish women to watch out, their BC pills and shots were gonna go away, they thought I was nuts.

Trump responded to Matthews with the only logical conclusion.

Bernie responded to question about Trumps statement.

Stop making mountains out of molehills. Do you really think a Republican POTUS would be better on women's issues?

The reason abortion rights are going away in Texas is because Democrats do not vote. I could say that democratic women of child bearing age in Texas don't give a damn.

Old 04-01-2016, 07:33 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Nothing prevents a woman from travelling to a pro-abortion state for the procedure if it is banned by the state they currently reside. They don't sell many snow tires in Florida, but people still know where to go to get them if needed.
Money. Money prevents many woman from doing it. Wealthy women got no problem; poor women - not so much.

Bottom line - that's not the point.

Hillary knows as do ALL pro choice women that they are chipping away at our rights state by state until we will have no more freedom of choice.

That is the REPUBLICAN plan.

Old 04-01-2016, 10:33 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
And Tad Devine doubled down last night - confirming that Bernie has a litmus test for Supreme Court justices that they will overturn Citizens United, but when asked if supporting Roe v. Wade was also a litmus test, the response was "well, of course Bernie is pro-choice, but he's not going to have a laundry list of litmus tests." He's not anti-choice, it just doesn't make his list of priorities that he wants to put any time and effort into.

Why should I be surprised that he and his all male circle of senior advisors don't feel like they have any personal stake in this issue....

Old 04-01-2016, 10:46 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
The last time I checked, abortion is LEGAL. How is this an issue in 2016????
It's not. And even Trump told Chris Matthews in that interview that SCOTUS has already ruled on it. But Dems are using ridiculously extrapolated inference to manipulate what Dem elite Gruber referred to as their "stupid American voters" base.

Old 04-01-2016, 10:47 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,958,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
And Tad Devine doubled down last night - confirming that Bernie has a litmus test for Supreme Court justices that they will overturn Citizens United, but when asked if supporting Roe v. Wade was also a litmus test, the response was "well, of course Bernie is pro-choice, but he's not going to have a laundry list of litmus tests." He's not anti-choice, it just doesn't make his list of priorities that he wants to put any time and effort into.

Why should I be surprised that he and his all male circle of senior advisors don't feel like they have any personal stake in this issue....
Because it's a given that the SCOTUS Justices he would pick wouldn't overturn Roe v. Wade.

Now would Hillary choose SCOTUS Justices that would overturn Citizens United? Doubt it she is the poster child of it.

I think you're getting as testy/nervous as she is.

Old 04-01-2016, 10:49 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Then I suggest that you check again because abortion rights are under an never before seen assault in many states.
Really? How many states have made abortion illegal?

Old 04-01-2016, 10:51 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times
Do you work for Hillary or something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections