Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 11:39 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,051,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
We need to totally eliminate political contributions.
I think we should ban parties also.
You'd have to amend the First Amendment to eliminate free speech and free association clauses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Elections must be 100% publicly-funded, or there will
never be anything more than prostitutes as our representatives.
"Hi, I am Ted Cruz and I approved this message."

Mick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 11:53 AM

33,462 posts, read 17,967,991 times
If Trump is denied the presidency after leading all the way, all hell with break loose and that is putting it mildly. There will be hell to pay and the GOP better think twice or three times and more about their actions.. they will regret it if they steal it from Trump.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:58 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,512,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
You'd have to amend the First Amendment to eliminate free speech and free association clauses.

"Hi, I am Ted Cruz and I approved this message."

Mick
Why can't we just set up a safe zones and have one of those Korean comfort couches for everyone ? No liberal could resist that it's the perfect way to be shielded from the harsh reality of the world. Next time Trump buys those Korean TV's I bet he could get a deal on some and every member of congress would welcome their gift.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:01 PM

19,699 posts, read 11,951,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post

Don't be naive, people like the Koch brothers have a lot more than an opinion.
You are correct. Soros has picked Hillary.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:07 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,014,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
If Trump is denied the presidency after leading all the way, all hell with break loose and that is putting it mildly. There will be hell to pay and the GOP better think twice or three times and more about their actions.. they will regret it if they steal it from Trump.
"The presidency"? I assume you mean the Republican nomination. But even in that case, leading all the way isn't the same thing as winning it based on getting 50% +1 of the delegates. Trump doesn't "own" the nomination until that point, any more than he "owns" the votes that are going to John Kasich. If he wins the requisite amount of delegates, he gets the nomination. If he doesn't, he is subject to the existing rules just like any other candidate. There is no special "Trump Rule" for whoever comes closest without winning.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:09 PM

I believe it was a big set up when Boehner stepped down and Ryan became speaker of the house.. they were maneuvering then to make Ryan speaker in case Trump got close to being nominated.

Trump entered the race June 16th 2015. Ryan put in as speaker of the house at the end of Oct. 2015. The establishment believed back in beginning of Oct. that Trump could win and this is why they have Ryan in as Speaker.. they want a contested convention. The establishment is lining up Ryan .. they are slick...

Old 04-05-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
"The presidency"? I assume you mean the Republican nomination. But even in that case, leading all the way isn't the same thing as winning it based on getting 50% +1 of the delegates. Trump doesn't "own" the nomination until that point, any more than he "owns" the votes that are going to John Kasich. If he wins the requisite amount of delegates, he gets the nomination. If he doesn't, he is subject to the existing rules just like any other candidate. There is no special "Trump Rule" for whoever comes closest without winning.
Hey, if he doesn't get the nomination , he won't become president.. he will win because Hillary is a loser.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:15 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,821,754 times
The Koch brothers are Libertarians, so I don't see why they would be choosing Paul Ryan. I don't believe the story, not only because it's from a HuffPo piece, but because it doesn't make sense.

"And one associate of the speaker said he “guarantees” there has been no conversation with Charles Koch about the possibility,"

Old 04-05-2016, 12:25 PM

4,321 posts, read 5,105,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Please describe this hell breaking loose, I'm asking earnestly.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:27 PM

5,712 posts, read 2,161,405 times
We must threaten to vote independent in primary and democrat in local elections. It's the only way they will listen. If we refuse to vote it plays right into their hands. Threaten to kick all Koch brother candidates out of your state and they will pay attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections