Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2016, 11:44 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
The Republican brand is a joke right now as they haven't embraced the changing demographic of this country.

If you don't think Trump is adding value to the GOP, look at the GOP voters totals as compared to the losing years of 2008/2012.
And Trump doesn't assist them in embracing the changing demographics of this country.

Which is why he is damaging the party's brand.

As for your GOP voter totals, DO look at them. More GOP voters have voted for someone else than have voted for Trump. Trump does NOT have the majority of GOP voters behind him. He could be lucky and get the majority of voters before the convention. In which case a contested convention becomes less likely. We will have to wait and see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Reagan was down something like 30% from carter in a general election with carter at this time in the election cycle. That's not an "ideal" candidate. trump is doing better at this point against hillary assuming she's not indicted.

The "republican brand?" Seriously? It's a pathetic brand in the eyes of many including myself. I and many also think the democratic "brand" is a mess and sander's success is showing this front and center. The party is going far left to show their disapproval. The people aren't happy and voting accordingly.

I will tell you this....you want to see a beyond damaged brand? Let the "owners" of either party pick a candidate who didn't get the primary majority vote/delegates, even if it's within "the rules" of the party, and you'll see a generation flee both parties. About time I say. Maybe we'll end the party fixation nonsense, get some viable independent candidates running, and make our founding father John Adams very happy.
Yes, it's an ideal candidate if that candidate supports the proposals, goals and priorities of the party. The party is looking for a representative. REPRESENTATIVE. Someone who represents them with the general population. Someone whose political personality matches the identity that the party has built. Trump doesn't do this.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:49 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,469,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Yes, it's an ideal candidate if that candidate supports the proposals, goals and priorities of the party. The party is looking for a representative. REPRESENTATIVE. Someone who represents them with the general population. Someone whose political personality matches the identity that the party has built. Trump doesn't do this.
Serving the money/donors type thing?

I think you have a point.....

Silly me....I thought it was about the people, not the party, in the end. So how did we get to this point, "THEIR" party? And there's the problem, front and center. And many like yourself appear to just accept it as "eh, it's the way it is". Problem again front and center. The people with the most power, the voters, who can fix all of this via their votes are truly asleep. But we blindly accept the garbage candidate they shovel in year after year with garbage results, decade after decade, and hold our nose and do the "best for the worse thing". Good grief.

Last edited by stevek64; 04-08-2016 at 11:58 AM..

Old 04-08-2016, 11:54 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,196,740 times
Quote:
Yep, a candidate that will support the good ole boy network by taking money from the same lobbyists, special interest groups & cronies.

Yep, you're right ... Trump is a populist and could care less about walking in step with the GOP "leaders".
Independent run here we come and the GOP gets trounced in November by HRC.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:57 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,196,740 times
Quote:
And Trump doesn't assist them in embracing the changing demographics of this country.

Which is why he is damaging the party's brand.

As for your GOP voter totals, DO look at them. More GOP voters have voted for someone else than have voted for Trump. Trump does NOT have the majority of GOP voters behind him. He could be lucky and get the majority of voters before the convention. In which case a contested convention becomes less likely. We will have to wait and see.
No, you LOOK at them ...

The GOP threw up 16 alternatives to Trump and none of them stuck. That's right, SIXTEEN including GOP stalwarts Rubio, Cruz & Bush.

Trump has brought more folks to the GOP primaries than in 2008/2012 and has more votes than any of the other pretend GOP candidates. The GOP would do well to embrace him, otherwise face the inevitable consequence of another failed election year.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Yep, a candidate that will support the good ole boy network by taking money from the same lobbyists, special interest groups & cronies.

Yep, you're right ... Trump is a populist and could care less about walking in step with the GOP "leaders".
Independent run here we come and the GOP gets trounced in November by HRC.
Well said. Wish I could rep you but I'm out for a while.

Heck, I'm not a fan at all of sander's, but I like what he's doing shaking up the other side of the corrupt coin.

Old 04-08-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Serving the money/donors type thing?

I think you have a point.....

Silly me....I thought it was about the people, not the party, in the end. So how did we get to this point, "THEIR" party? And there's the problem, front and center. And many like yourself appear to just accept it as "eh, it's the way it is". Problem again front and center. The people with the most power, the voters, who can fix all of this via their votes are truly asleep. But we blindly accept the garbage candidate they shovel in year after year, decade after decade, and hold our nose and do the "best for the worse thing". Good grief.
We didn't GET to this point.

The parties have always been private organizations focused on politically advancing the party's interests. ALWAYS. From day one.

What we're witnessing in the GOP is the kind of upheaval when portions of that party aren't identifying with that party anymore. And it's happened before.

You should read up on Teddy Roosevelt.

Old 04-08-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
We didn't GET to this point.

The parties have always been private organizations focused on politically advancing the party's interests. ALWAYS. From day one.

What we're witnessing in the GOP is the kind of upheaval when portions of that party aren't identifying with that party anymore. And it's happened before.

You should read up on Teddy Roosevelt.
Always does not = right. Politics has gotten just a little more corrupt/self serving I'm sure you've noticed(?).

"But we always did it this way!...." the masses cry, therefore, it must still be valid and right to serve the people.

I think it's far more than just a direction of conservative/liberal direction that you are referring to. It's a corruption factor, bought off, you're not serving the people AT ALL issue. That's the heart of the matter why a trump and sander's is gaining so much steam.

Last edited by stevek64; 04-08-2016 at 12:11 PM..

Old 04-08-2016, 12:09 PM

3,987 posts, read 2,112,089 times
Quote:
One of the parties always loses, so I think you're wrong.

The GOP itself is a brand, and like any organization, the people running that organization are very concerned with protecting that brand. Trump damages their brand, and they are very aware of that, which is why they are so opposed to him. You're a consumer, so you don't care about whether the brand is damaged or not. Because as a consumer, you're only invested in the short term. The party's leadership is invested in the long-term, and they are looking at the big picture. They are looking at the Republicans running for state offices and for Congress, and how changing the brand affects those candidates. It's like Trump is New Coke, and all the New Coke fans are boisterously cheering New Coke on, while the Coke executives are realizing that New Coke was a bad idea, and that the majority of Coke drinkers don't like the taste of New Coke.
In the case of the GOP, their recent track record at what's best for the party doesn't look very successful! They allowed the worst President in history to win twice, and could not find a viable candidate to defeat Obama. Now they FINALLY have a real candidate, and don't want him because he hasn't been bought and paid for by them. I don't believe that you are so gullible that you really think these folks aren't concerned about their own interests ABOVE anything else.

Old 04-08-2016, 12:11 PM

3,987 posts, read 2,112,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I don't think it's because of that. They think he will LOSE in a general election - THAT is their fear. Not that they want to give away their salary or anything so yes they want to hold onto that.

It's impossible to win a general when most minorities and women won't vote of you.
You may very well be correct. However, if Trump can't win in November- who can?! Surely not Cruz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections