Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2016, 08:33 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,215,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Typically, Republicans aren't dumb enough to build walls with footholds. Obviously, the one you picture was built by someone of Hank Johnson's IQ. Just showing it as an anti-illegal immigrant device is pretty low on the IQ pole.
And of course NO ONE in Mexico has LADDERS.

Handholds or not, ANY wall can be scaled - quite easily. It adds maybe 30 seconds to the crossing time. Republican may not be "dumb enough to build walls with handholds" but they are apparently dumb enough to think there are no ladders in Mexico.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 08:36 AM

62,365 posts, read 28,641,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Would you please quote my claim "of the lazy American"? I made no such claim.

Lazy has nothing whatsoever to do with any of the illegal immigrant stuff. PROFIT is the driving force.

Now let's retouch those aggra workers who come across with visas. If not for some advantage to the end result why is it there are no OTHER workers in those fields? Been there and seen it first hand. You will not find anyone but foreign workers in those fields picking or using spades to divert irrigation the rows of veggies. PROFIT.

You've experienced first hand watching all the illegals leaving places of business through the back door when Border Patrol shows up at the front? I have in every type of large vehicle maintenance from truck washes to lube change to tire shops. Profits it's all about the profits.. and illegals allow them to maximize those.

You started building a wall and miles of pile driving into the shores of rivers accomplished nothing worthwhile due to places like imperial sand dunes being a noted play area for the desert rigs but also an entry point for the stolen suburbans taken into Mexico the week before and loaded up with durgs and illegals for the return run.

You'd have to be a real dunce if you read on these forums time and time again about the Home Depot and Lowes parking lot congregations of illegals looking for work but fail to believe any of that. More importantly why not ask your rep's why they don't just drive around and pick those guys up.

THEY don't want to; it's not laziness. They are ordered to ignore those places.

Border Patrol Agents Ordered to Stand Down in Enforcing Immigration Laws

Obama reinstates 'catch-and-release' policy for illegal immigrants - Washington Times

This Is Exactly How Central Americans Cross Mexico-Texas Border

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfj2uRi4VcM

As to your claim the fence is working........hell no it ain't and it never will. You can't build one tall enough or deep enough to stop them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfVE...&nohtml5=False

Re-read your post #110 and you will see that you were claiming that you couldn't get the help you needed if not for illegal aliens. There aren't usually citizens picking crops because it isn't a career job for Americans and many don't live in rural areas. This is news to you? By your remarks you are implying that Americans are just too lazy to pick crops along with the real truth which is the profits that the growers and other businesses reap from cheap, illegal labor.

Obama won't allow any illegals to be deported unless they are "convicted" criminals so how would contacting my congressmen do anything? By the way, I did contact the powers that be when I saw a constant group of illegals hanging out in front of a McDonald's in Bonsall, Ca. and all I got is "we can do nothing about it".

As for the wall 700 miles of double-layered wall has already been approved by congress but not funded and yes it would work. It might not be 100% effective but here is proof that walls do work.

Where U.S.-Mexico border fence is tall, it works

Old 04-10-2016, 10:35 AM

16,563 posts, read 15,112,990 times
Are you sure those walls weren't made in Mexico? The come in with built-in steps.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:41 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,162,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
And of course NO ONE in Mexico has LADDERS.

Handholds or not, ANY wall can be scaled - quite easily. It adds maybe 30 seconds to the crossing time. Republican may not be "dumb enough to build walls with handholds" but they are apparently dumb enough to think there are no ladders in Mexico.

Ken
50' ladders Ken ? And with Border Patrol agents shooting at you ?

Old 04-10-2016, 10:57 AM

22,281 posts, read 11,772,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
It's one of those really really silly comparisons to make, right there with "if you make a $100 , you can only spend $100" simile clueless people use to explain the economy.
When I say a wall is stupid, I am not arguing against physical security or arguing for open borders, I mean just that, a wall is stupid, is a stupid lowest common denominator kind of solution to a complex problem. Back to my house I have doors which I do leave unlocked albeit my alarm system locks them automatically, i also have lights and motion detectors that if are triggered after 11pm they close the garage door if left open, i don't have a wall around my house with a moat around the wall, if I call a security expert told him how can I secure my house and he told me to build a wall I would think he was stupid.
We didn't try to get to the moon with a sling shot right, we put our best minds to work collaborated with private industry, put it out to bid and watch private industry come up with better solutions.
You also have to consider motivation, a burglar is not looking to come to my house and move there, if a burglar thought that breaking into my house was the only way for his family to survive a door may not be deterrent enough ie a stupid solution.
A "silly comparison to make"? Seriously?

You have no real argument against the wall, just a screed that it is "stupid".

Did you bother to read all the posts in this thread? If you had, you would have noticed that it was mentioned that during the Clinton administration, a wall was built between San Diego and Tijuana and beyond. It drastically cut down on crime and illegal crossings.

Do you really think that there are enough Border Patrol agents to properly protect the border? If you believe that, then you are clueless.

You don't think building a wall around your property works? Well, tell that to all the wealthy people who have done so. Fortunately, they are smart enough to know that they work. Thankfully, they don't live like you, leaving their doors open all the time.

Then, again, you reinforce what I said when you pointed out that if a burglar wanted to move into your house, a door "may not be deterrent enough". That's basically what I said---they could break a window or tunnel inside. Still, that's no excuse for not trying to secure your property.

I bet you think that only illegals who want to work consist of who is sneaking into this country. There are those who sneak in with more nefarious purposes.

Walls do work. I don't know why you like the idea of leaving the border wide open. You must have a dog in this fight---I'm guessing that you are a supporter of open borders --- for whatever reason.

Read this article that you could have easily found on your own. You're welcome:

San Diego Fence Provides Lessons in Border Control : NPR

Old 04-10-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Not only that, but someone with a 50' ladder needs to be waiting on the other side of the fence. Even better, if the top of the fence were to be covered with concertina wire.

Old 04-10-2016, 11:03 AM

13,673 posts, read 8,935,742 times
I recall that the East Germans maintained that the Wall they built was to keep the West 'out' of East Germany, and not pen their own people in. People were skeptical. There was much rejoicing when the Wall fell in 1989.

Anyway, I wonder what would have been the response of some people if it had been Obama or Clinton whom proposed a giant wall along the entire southern border? Would we have had people screaming that the 'liberals' wanted to build the wall to keep Americans contained within our own borders?

My opposition to the Southern Wall has mainly been due to practical reasons: it would be hideously expensive, and would infringe on lots of property rights. Those Texan ranchers that live along the Rio Grande may moan about 'illegals', but they sure as heck don't want the Federal government to take part of their land to build a Wall, which would also cut off their access to the water. Recall, the Wall could not actually be built 'on' the river, but would have to be set back some (I have seen estimates of half a mile to five miles, depending on the terrain), as well as access roads.

Did you all know that there is a very large lake in Texas, that shares the border with Mexico? I wonder how the Wall would deal with the lake, which is very popular with fishermen and hunters.

Old 04-10-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I recall that the East Germans maintained that the Wall they built was to keep the West 'out' of East Germany, and not pen their own people in. People were skeptical. There was much rejoicing when the Wall fell in 1989.

Anyway, I wonder what would have been the response of some people if it had been Obama or Clinton whom proposed a giant wall along the entire southern border? Would we have had people screaming that the 'liberals' wanted to build the wall to keep Americans contained within our own borders?

My opposition to the Southern Wall has mainly been due to practical reasons: it would be hideously expensive, and would infringe on lots of property rights. Those Texan ranchers that live along the Rio Grande may moan about 'illegals', but they sure as heck don't want the Federal government to take part of their land to build a Wall, which would also cut off their access to the water. Recall, the Wall could not actually be built 'on' the river, but would have to be set back some (I have seen estimates of half a mile to five miles, depending on the terrain), as well as access roads.

Did you all know that there is a very large lake in Texas, that shares the border with Mexico? I wonder how the Wall would deal with the lake, which is very popular with fishermen and hunters.
So, you would rather the border remain wide open. That way anyone can walk in unchalleged. Whatever it costs to build that wall, it will be money well spent. Illegals cost taxpayers billions of dollars per year. Don't believe it? Google is your friend. Whatever it costs to build that wall, it's money well spent.

The ranchers have been begging for a wall for years. Illegals have made their lives hell. Again, Google is your friend.

As for your mention of the lake---With the wall in place, the Border Patrol can shift resources to places like that. No one said that the entire border will have a wall. It's for the most porous places.

Old 04-10-2016, 11:15 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,212,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Shooting border patrol. Don't think so.

Old 04-10-2016, 11:21 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,162,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Shooting border patrol. Don't think so.
Won't be necessary ... they ain't getting over a 50' wall with concertina wire at the top ...

But here's an idea ...

How about those countries producing the most illegal immigrants to the U.S. step up and fix their own mess so people won't be so desperate to leave ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections