Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2016, 03:44 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,669,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
As for Trump being hated ...who cares??? Those hating Trump are losers not important to recovery.
And, what do you propose be done with that 70% or so of the American voters who 'hate' trump? Ship them off to another country? Revoke their citizenship? Even tho it looks like they are the majority and the trump followers just a minority? Just kinda wonder how the country will 'recover' with only 30% of its population remaining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 06:46 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,221,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
As for Trump being hated ...who cares??? Those hating Trump are losers not important to recovery.
With 70% of his own party not liking him - hard to win an election, you'd have to agree.

Old 04-12-2016, 06:52 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,152,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Godwin's notwithstanding....

“If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed.”

― Adolf Hitler

http://crooksandliars.com/files/imag..._as_hitler.jpg
Apparently Trump took that to heart.

“Donald is a believer in the big-lie theory,” his lawyer told Brenner. “If you say something over and over again, people will believe you.” Brenner refused to tell Trump (or us) the name of the lawyer, but she is a reporter of impeccable credentials and she did not write anything not already known. The shocker would be a statement that Trump always tells the truth..."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...j0D_story.html

Old 04-12-2016, 08:31 PM

26,157 posts, read 14,784,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
I wasn't talking about the primary.

Bill Clinton won the presidency without having a majority of votes.

All he had was the largest number of votes.

If that is okay, then what is wrong with Trump getting the Republican nomination when he has more votes than anyone else?

Why should someone with fewer votes or no votes get the nomination?

No good reason that I can see.

No, it isn't.

The rules can be changed a week before the convention.

It is true that Trump isn't a polished politician.

He didn't even become a politician until ten months ago.

I guess you'd rather go with the professional manipulators who couldn't care less about the voters and what they want.

Well, if the Republican Party goes down that path, it will be finished as a party.

And really, who cares?

It has proven its uselessness for the last 30 years.

Good riddance.

Feel free to tell me about an offensive tweet that Trump has made in the last week.
You seem all over the place.

-Ross Perot was the most successful 3rd party candidate since Teddy Roosevelt. Clinton had a plurality of popular votes - but the general election has ALWAYS BEEN DECIDED by the ELECTORAL COLLEGE where he had a majority. If no one gets a majority in the EC, it goes to the House...

-The GOP has literally ALWAYS required a majority of delegates agree to the pick. This rule has never changed. They will not change it now and have no reason to change it now.

Old 04-13-2016, 02:17 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,394,791 times
Quote:
He misrepresented what Cruz said about NY values to include insulting the heroic actions of first responders 9/11.
No, he didn't.

Distort much?

Trump defended New Yorkers by talking about the first responders.

He didn't say that Cruz had said anything about the first responders.

Quote:
“If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed.”
Obama:

"If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor."

"If you like your health plan, you can keep your health plan."

"There will be no lobbyists in my administration" (there have been 70 so far).

"You'll be able to read what's in the bill a week in advance of the vote, and the whole process will be transparent and shown on C-Span."

"It was caused by the video" (two weeks after he knew it wasn't)....

You were saying about "big lies"?

Quote:
So he's bitching and moaning about Colorado. How exactly do we expect him to deal with Iran, N. Korea, other world enemies when he can't even get his way with Colorado?
How can we expect Obama to deal with them when he whines constantly about the Republicans in Congress?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
And, what do you propose be done with that 70% or so of the American voters who 'hate' trump? Ship them off to another country? Revoke their citizenship?....Just kinda wonder how the country will 'recover' with only 30% of its population remaining.
First, they don't hate him. They just don't particularly like him at this point.

They don't like Hillary either. More than 50% dislike her.

If 70% of the country wants to leave, I'll be sure to attend the going away party.

Quote:
With 70% of his own party not liking him - hard to win an election, you'd have to agree.
Well, again, you're wrong.

It's 70% of all voters who don't like him -- just like 55% of all voters don't like Hillary -- it's not 70% of Republicans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
“Donald is a believer in the big-lie theory,” his lawyer told Brenner. “If you say something over and over again, people will believe you.”

Brenner refused to tell Trump (or us) the name of the lawyer, but she is a reporter of impeccable credentials and she did not write anything not already known.
Oh, yeah, sure thing!

Talk about weak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Clinton had a plurality of popular votes - but the general election has ALWAYS BEEN DECIDED by the ELECTORAL COLLEGE where he had a majority.
So what?

I was talking about Clinton getting less than 50% of the vote but still becoming president.

There is no difference between that and Donald getting less than 50% of the Republican vote and becoming the Republican nominee.

The idea in both cases is that the guy who gets the most votes wins.

Quote:
-The GOP has literally ALWAYS required a majority of delegates agree to the pick. This rule has never changed.
Who cares?

They can change the rule at any time.

And they better if Trump is way ahead -- unless they want to see their party lose a huge percentage of its voters, lose the White House, lose the Senate, lose the House, lose governorships, lose state legislative seats, and even lose local city council and mayor's races.

This is the year of the outsider, of voters rebelling against business as usual, and voters demanding to be heard -- not the year of back room deals unless the GOP wants to commit suicide.

Last edited by dechatelet; 04-13-2016 at 02:30 AM..

Old 04-13-2016, 05:19 AM

26,157 posts, read 14,784,405 times
Quote:

I was talking about Clinton getting less than 50% of the vote but still becoming president.

There is no difference between that and Donald getting less than 50% of the Republican vote and becoming the Republican nominee.

The idea in both cases is that the guy who gets the most votes wins.

Who cares?

They can change the rule at any time.

And they better if Trump is way ahead -- unless they want to see their party lose a huge percentage of its voters, lose the White House, lose the Senate, lose the House, lose governorships, lose state legislative seats, and even lose local city council and mayor's races.

This is the year of the outsider, of voters rebelling against business as usual, and voters demanding to be heard -- not the year of back room deals unless the GOP wants to commit suicide.
You are comparing apples to oranges OR general elections to primaries.

Clinton DID get a majority of the votes - inside the electoral college. Had he not gotten a majority it would have went into the House where he would have needed a majority. You need a majority to ultimately win.

The Republican party has literally never existed where you haven't needed a majority of delegates. Why should this private organization change the majority rule for Trump? Why is he so special that he deserves to join this private organization about a year ago and gets to change a rule that has been with the founding of the party since 1854. Without this rule, making sure the presidential candidate is someone most delegates can support, we don't have Lincoln as president in 1860 - we have Seward.

Trump is full of it, he said that he had no idea why you need 1,237 delegates as it was just an arbitrary number made up. NO. They specifically chose that number as it would mean you have a MAJORITY. Trump was either lying through his teeth, again, or he simply is clueless about the process. He should have known that he needed a majority from the start and needed to appeal to most delegates from the start. His low approval numbers, even among Republicans is coming home to roost.

Old 04-13-2016, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
You are comparing apples to oranges OR general elections to primaries.

Clinton DID get a majority of the votes - inside the electoral college.
I was talking about voters -- you know, those lowly American citizens who go to the polls -- not the electoral college.

The case of Clinton having a plurality but not a majority and the case of Trump having a plurality but not a majority are exactly THE SAME, whether you like it or not.

Quote:
The Republican party has literally never existed where you haven't needed a majority of delegates.
So what?

Is there a law that says that they must do what they did before?

No, there isn't.

The rules committee can change the rules before the convention.

Quote:
Why should this private organization change the majority rule for Trump?
I've already explained this to you.

If Trump is far ahead of his competitors in votes, and someone else gets the nomination, the Republican Party will be finished and the Democrats will sweep the country.

Maybe that's what you want.

Quote:
Why is he so special that he deserves to join this private organization about a year ago and gets to change a rule that has been with the founding of the party since 1854.
This isn't about him being special.

It's about a third or more of Republican voters being angry with the GOP and ready to bolt if Trump gets the most primary votes but isn't the nominee.

If you can't figure that out, then you're not paying attention.

This is the year of the outsider -- get it?

At least a third of Republicans are disgusted with the GOP leadership.

Quote:
Without this rule, making sure the presidential candidate is someone most delegates can support, we don't have Lincoln as president in 1860 - we have Seward.
Delegates shmelegates. The voters are tired of business as usual and are ready to bail.

And by the way, we would have been a lot better off not having Lincoln.

Quote:
Trump is full of it, he said that he had no idea why you need 1,237 delegates as it was just an arbitrary number made up. NO. They specifically chose that number as it would mean you have a MAJORITY. Trump was either lying through his teeth, again, or he simply is clueless about the process. He should have known that he needed a majority from the start and needed to appeal to most delegates from the start. His low approval numbers, even among Republicans is coming home to roost.
Nyah, nyah, nyah.

That's all you have.

Why don't you just say you don't like Trump, and leave it at that?

Your "arguments" don't amount to a hill of beans.

Last edited by dechatelet; 04-13-2016 at 05:42 AM..

Old 04-13-2016, 06:09 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,345,013 times
This post has essentially confirmed to me what I have long suspected. Trump supporters don't understand how to converse or debate. There is so much deflection from them that it's insane. And that deflection is not "debunking" or "disproving" anything. All you're doing is attempting to move the spotlight of negativity off Trump. No one is buying into it though. They just finally get to a place where your inability to present a logical and factual response to the issues with Trump causes them to simply leave the conversation.

I can't tell you how many times I've read "But ________ did this". (Insert Cruz, Hillary, or essentially any other possible candidate or politicians name there.) I don't care what they did, the issue here is what Trump is doing not what someone else is doing.

Old 04-13-2016, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
This post has essentially confirmed to me what I have long suspected. Trump supporters don't understand how to converse or debate. There is so much deflection from them that it's insane. And that deflection is not "debunking" or "disproving" anything. All you're doing is attempting to move the spotlight of negativity off Trump. No one is buying into it though. They just finally get to a place where your inability to present a logical and factual response to the issues with Trump causes them to simply leave the conversation.

I can't tell you how many times I've read "But ________ did this". (Insert Cruz, Hillary, or essentially any other possible candidate or politicians name there.) I don't care what they did, the issue here is what Trump is doing not what someone else is doing.
Is there a criticism of Trump's policies hidden in there somewhere?

90% or more of anti-Trump posts are just like yours.

There's nothing to them, other than multiple ways of saying "I don't like Trump and his supporters."

Old 04-13-2016, 06:12 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,345,013 times
Quote:

Delegates shmelegates. The voters are tired of business as usual and are ready to bail.

And by the way, we would have been a lot better off not having Lincoln.
Yeah... Go slavery!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections