Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 11:48 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,466,408 times

Advertisements

https://www.yahoo.com/news/exclusive...100457456.html

"A third of Republican voters who support Donald Trump could turn their backs on their party in November's presidential election if he is denied the nomination in a contested convention, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll."

"The results are bad news for Trump's rivals as well as party elites opposed to the real estate billionaire,"

""If it’s a close election, this is devastating news" for the Republicans, said Donald Green, an expert on election turnout at Columbia University."

"Meanwhile, 58 percent said they would remain with the Republican Party. Another 16 percent said they would leave it, and 26 percent said they did not know what they would do with their registration."

And I think the same thing would happen on the democratic side if somehow sander's got the majority of delegates/the vote and they denied him the nomination.

Yes, it's the owner's of the party who have a right to pick who they want. Got it. But it appears the average person could ultimately have the final power.......the way it should be in my book. And about time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 12:07 PM

4,078 posts, read 2,338,644 times
This is the REAL bad news for the GOP if the reality show circus clown wins...

Polls: Trump Clobbered by Hillary Among Women, Nonwhites, Millennials - Guy Benson

Old 04-09-2016, 12:09 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,195,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter75 View Post
This is the REAL bad news for the GOP if the reality show circus clown wins...

Polls: Trump Clobbered by Hillary Among Women, Nonwhites, Millennials - Guy Benson
The bad news for the GOP is there will be no GOP as you know it. Time for a 3rd party to step up ...

Old 04-09-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
The bad news for the GOP is there will be no GOP as you know it. Time for a 3rd party to step up ...
Ok, if there IS a 3rd party top step up, it will be a Libertarian/Independent party. Not the Crony Capitalist party that Trump would be the leader of.

Old 04-09-2016, 12:19 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,195,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter75 View Post
Ok, if there IS a 3rd party top step up, it will be a Libertarian/Independent party. Not the Crony Capitalist party that Trump would be the leader of.
The resident D.C. politicians are already members of the Crony Capital list party of which you speak. Everyone currently in the House & Senate are getting their hands greased by lobbyists, cronies & special interest groups including your boy Cruz.

I'm done with your trolling ... see you on 4/26. Or maybe we won't see you after 4/26 ...

Old 04-09-2016, 12:19 PM

35,037 posts, read 16,987,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/news/exclusive...100457456.html

"A third of Republican voters who support Donald Trump could turn their backs on their party in November's presidential election if he is denied the nomination in a contested convention, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll."

"The results are bad news for Trump's rivals as well as party elites opposed to the real estate billionaire,"

""If it’s a close election, this is devastating news" for the Republicans, said Donald Green, an expert on election turnout at Columbia University."

"Meanwhile, 58 percent said they would remain with the Republican Party. Another 16 percent said they would leave it, and 26 percent said they did not know what they would do with their registration."

And I think the same thing would happen on the democratic side if somehow sander's got the majority of delegates/the vote and they denied him the nomination.

Yes, it's the owner's of the party who have a right to pick who they want. Got it. But it appears the average person could ultimately have the final power.......the way it should be in my book. And about time.
I suspect many Trump supporters are independents or Democrats. Certainly not reliable Trump voters.

Old 04-09-2016, 12:30 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,466,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Exactly. I think this is simply what happens when people finally get fed up/feel their "leaders" aren't addressing the will of the people. This goes way beyond the primary nonsense. I call it a win-win all around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I suspect many Trump supporters are independents or Democrats. Certainly not reliable Trump voters.
I think there is truth to this. But I still think the majority of trump supporters/who voted for him are registered republicans.

btw, here's another similiar poll on the topic:

Most GOP voters agree with Donald Trump, say delegates should support front-runner: poll - Washington Times

"Most Republican and GOP-leaning independent voters agree with Donald Trump and say the candidate with the most support in party primaries and caucuses should win the party’s backing at the Republican National Convention in July, even if that candidate doesn’t head into Cleveland with an outright majority of delegates."

The party of course is free to nominate who they want. Yep.

Old 04-09-2016, 12:40 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,152,106 times
The Republicans are in a no-win situation this year. Either they are going to anger the Trump supporters or they are going to anger the #neverTrump crowd. The reality is that they are going to lose with Trump or they will lose with their "establishment" contested-convention candidate - it is a question of who they will lose with, not if they will lose. Thanks to Trump, Hillary is winning this year, regardless. Since the #neverTrump in the party are more likely to be long term Republicans, more likely to vote Republican or even straight ticket down ticket, and the candidate they would support is not in conflict with the party "brand", they are better off picking either Cruz, who at least is a true conservative, or one of the party darlings. Most long term Republicans do not want Trump to be the face of the Republican Party, they already have enough trouble fighting the hateful bigot image as it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
And then, there is this. I agree, just look how many of his most ardent defenders on this board are new Republicans, who admit they registered just to vote for Trump in the primary, or even first time voters despite being middle aged.

Old 04-09-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
The Republicans are in a no-win situation this year. Either they are going to anger the Trump supporters or they are going to anger the #neverTrump crowd. The reality is that they are going to lose with Trump or they will lose with their "establishment" contested-convention candidate - it is a question of who they will lose with, not if they will lose. Thanks to Trump, Hillary is winning this year, regardless. Since the #neverTrump in the party are more likely to be long term Republicans, more likely to vote Republican or even straight ticket down ticket, and the candidate they would support is not in conflict with the party "brand", they are better off picking either Cruz, who at least is a true conservative, or one of the party darlings. Most long term Republicans do not want Trump to be the face of the Republican Party, they already have enough trouble fighting the hateful bigot image as it is.
Great post, especially the bolded. The GOP has spent the last two elections nominating weak candidates they thought would have crossover appeal and they lost badly both times. Time to nominate a true conservative like Cruz and at least see how that goes.

Old 04-09-2016, 12:59 PM

39,219 posts, read 27,589,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
And then, there is this. I agree, just look how many of his most ardent defenders on this board are new Republicans, who admit they registered just to vote for Trump in the primary, or even first time voters despite being middle aged.
agreed.

It is over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections