Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 08:12 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Ben Franklin was never POTUS. I hope you know that.
But he was a Founding Father who signed the Constitution. That makes him a special case.

Without his and the other Founding Father's efforts, we'd be talking about Queen Elizabeth's picture on the bank notes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 08:21 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
but we were not talking about Ben Franklin were we?

and please read my second post, about the article with Tubman....and that article is correct, they didn't teach us about her in school.
You said it was an insult to take a president off currency, so either you A) didn't realize a non-president was on the currency and/or B) you thought Ben Franklin had been POTUS. Either way, there's no rule that says a non-former president can't be on U.S. currency.

And thankfully, I went to a good school that taught about so many contributions to American history. I also enjoyed learning about American history outside of the classroom, so I can't use my teachers as a scapegoat as to why I don't know certain things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
But he was a Founding Father who signed the Constitution. That makes him a special case.

Without him, we'd be talking about Queen Elizabeth's picture on the bank notes.
But he still was never POTUS, which demonstrates that one does not have to be the POTUS in order to be placed on U.S. currency.

Both Franklin and Tubman were American heroes and neither were POTUS. Not sure why there's such a fuss.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:33 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
ATG5 You said it was an insult to take a president off currency, so either you A) didn't realize a non-president was on the currency and/or B) you thought Ben Franklin had been POTUS. Either way, there's no rule that says a non-former president can't be on U.S. currency.
Seriously? I'm going to say this one more time....we were not discussing BEN Franklin....were we? We were however discussing Jackson who was a president...and no, there isn't any rule that says a non-former president can't be on U.S. currency....Tubman wasn't was she?

Quote:
And thankfully, I went to a good school that taught about so many contributions to American history. I also enjoyed learning about American history outside of the classroom, so I can't use my teachers as a scapegoat as to why I don't know certain things.
Well I'm so glad you did...that is a plus...

Quote:
But he still was never POTUS, which demonstrates that one does not have to be the POTUS in order to be placed on U.S. currency.
and it also demonstrates that Jackson was placed on currency...so?

Quote:
Both Franklin and Tubman were American heroes and neither were POTUS. Not sure why there's such a fuss.
yes, they were, I agree, whole heartidly, however, this was strictly a PC move, nothing more, nothing less....and to be honest, I didn't know much about Tubman, and at first felt that Trump was correct in what he said, about leaving it the way it was, and suggesting to print other denominations and put Tubman on one. But then I read about her and changed my mind, she was an incredible woman....
so, now I don't know how I feel....

I believe I feel like Trump...leave it the way things are, and put Tubman on her own bill....I believe that would be more of an honor all the way around.

And after reading about her, I believe she would feel the very same way.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:35 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post

That's never been a requirement as this very lovely example shows.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...63-Fr-126b.jpg

or these from the US Educational Series.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Educat...3923429%29.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Educat...896-Fr.247.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Educat...896-Fr.270.jpg

Currency today is so boring in comparison and unfortunately, has also become very politicized as well.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:18 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,969,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
but we were not talking about Ben Franklin were we?

and please read my second post, about the article with Tubman....and that article is correct, they didn't teach us about her in school.

Yes, Tubman should be important to all people, but if the schools didn't include her in their programs, how were people supposed to know about her.

Do you know about Joseph Hopkinson?

Do you know that many college students today do not know who won the Civil War?
According to your logic then we can only use celebrities because "whatever" Americans learn in school the forget the following summer. The average American doesn't know much about the people in the current bills, they just assumed they were past presidents. Many don't know Franklin was never a president like a previous poster said. We should then change our bills to:

$1 Donald Trump
$5 Mark Wahlberg
$10 Mickey Mouse (if he can prove he is 100% white & straight, if not replace with Donald Duck)
$20 Zac Efron
$50 Leonardo Decaprio
$100 Elvis Presley

Old 04-22-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
According to your logic then we can only use celebrities because "whatever" Americans learn in school the forget the following summer. The average American doesn't know much about the people in the current bills, they just assumed they were past presidents. Many don't know Franklin was never a president like a previous poster said. We should then change our bills to:

$1 Donald Trump
$5 Mark Wahlberg
$10 Mickey Mouse (if he can prove he is 100% white & straight, if not replace with Donald Duck)
$20 Zac Efron
$50 Leonardo Decaprio
$100 Elvis Presley
No, I never said that....your once again putting words in my mouth, to prove your point, and your wrong....
I believe your anger, and your idea that everyone who disagrees with you is a racist is guiding you, your refusing, literally refusing to see anyone else's point of view...and btw, I knew that Franklin wasn't a President...he was the founding father of the U.S. and a free mason.

Old 04-22-2016, 11:30 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,468,049 times
Let's face it, these types of decisions are mostly if not all political/PC based these days. There are countless other people who could be on money that's a sliding scale based on what is important to the deciders.

Old 04-22-2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
the whole quote.

yes, and there is no Maliciousness intended here at all, I agree....

she was a very important person as well....and I believe it would be an honor to her, to create another denomination just for her.

I'm rather surprised they didn't chose MLK, loved that man..., however, not up to me....

Old 04-22-2016, 09:23 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,979,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguars010 View Post
Just an hour ago he dismissed tubman on the 20 as a pc play. Everything with trump is a pc play and raved about how Jackson was some saint, even though he knows nothing about him.

In the same interview he said he's fine with trans people going into bathrooms they want to go in, which is a democratic talking point.

He loses any black support he barely had with the tubman comment and should take a big hit with conservatives if they even care about conservative social principles.

Links over at mediaite.
So Trump tells the truth and people should be upset with him?

Old 04-23-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
So Trump tells the truth and people should be upset with him?
yeah, I'm thinking Trump knows a whole lot of things that Americans are not aware of, and the powers that be fear, he's going to leak more truths, if he becomes President. He is a real threat to them. and to all those who believe laws don't apply to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections