Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 06:44 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,428,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Either way he would destroy the GOP as we know it now. He is no Republican.
You know...I honestly think that the United States as a whole is headed the way of California....with Independents as the majority political registration, Democrats second, and Republicans third.

I think if Trump (or Cruz) gets nominated, that the GOP will be stuck permanently in a minority party status
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2016, 06:47 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,815,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
One thing that some people like about Trump is that he's obviously honest about stating what he believes regarding controversial issues. He doesn't take a poll and then evolve on how he thinks. He's quite liberal on many social issues.
Mr. Trump is not and has never been conservative which anyone who follows him knows. That's not what his appeal is to conservatives.
There's nothing new here for anyone.
Except when he says something stupid (redundant, I know) and then he has to have his campaign issue a coherent and 180 degree opposite statement about his position.

Old 04-21-2016, 07:11 PM

15,440 posts, read 21,223,436 times
As a social and fiscal conservative, I watched my party, the Republicans, shoot themselves in the foot in nearly every election for 50 years. This time I think they are actually going for a head shot if they don't start fighting the Democrats instead of themselves. This is the same reason I don't visit the Christian forums. Christians over there also like to shoot at each other while the evil in the world laughs at them.

Some of us social conservatives have long since given up on having a Sunday school teacher as national leaders. All we want now is someone who believes they can stop the fools who have been sawing at the limb we're all sitting on.

Old 04-21-2016, 07:21 PM

5,701 posts, read 3,196,282 times
I don't think he's really been that conservative to date and so he hasn't shifted. He's just strong a couple core issues. He could care less about the social conservative issues.

Old 04-21-2016, 07:29 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,262,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
D'uh. The only faulty logic is that Donald is tossing red meat to the "republican" base. He is throwing the meat to HIS fan base, many of whom have never voted for a GOP candidate and have no idea what Conservatism is (obviously). If Donald's scam University, scam Vitamin scheme and his failed investments have proven anything, it has proven he has a great ability to sucker people who rely on emotion rather than logic to get through life.
The guy will say anything if he thinks it will get him elected. He has no moral compass. His fans are suckers if they think the guy won't change his stand of issues more often than a chameleon walking around a flower garden. He's a HUGE scam artist, I'll give him that.

Old 04-21-2016, 07:31 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,307,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Either way he would destroy the GOP as we know it now. He is no Republican.
Thank you!

Trump uses the language of the left, which shows he is not a principled conservative.

He talks about 'people dying in the streets' b/c of inadequate healthcare coverage. Of course, this is a line from the left and, like most of their lines, a total lie.

Now he wants to raise taxes on high income earners who already pay all the taxes.

He caved to PC on the NC bathroom law.

Last time I checked, the GOP tried Democrat-lite in '08 and '12 and it didn't end well (for them). If they try it again this year with Trump, it won't end any better than in the previous 2 cycles.

Old 04-21-2016, 07:33 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,215,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
I don't think he's really been that conservative to date and so he hasn't shifted. He's just strong a couple core issues. He could care less about the social conservative issues.
And that's his appeal. It's his populism and nationalism not conservatism. The Cruzbots don't get it and that's why he is the only one that can win the general. Cruz would get slaughtered because of his social views. America has changed, the Republican Party as we knew it is dead now. Trump is the game changer, and it's about time.

Old 04-21-2016, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
As a social and fiscal conservative, I watched my party, the Republicans, shoot themselves in the foot in nearly every election for 50 years. This time I think they are actually going for a head shot if they don't start fighting the Democrats instead of themselves. This is the same reason I don't visit the Christian forums. Christians over there also like to shoot at each other while the evil in the world laughs at them.

Some of us social conservatives have long since given up on having a Sunday school teacher as national leaders. All we want now is someone who believes they can stop the fools who have been sawing at the limb we're all sitting on.
Sadly, we actually had the opportunity in this election to highlight the differences between democrats and constitutional conservatives, but Donald and his ego has destroyed all chances of the Conservative values held by the GOP to be reasonably discussed and debated.

I have never wanted a Sunday school teacher as the President, but I have always wanted someone who valued the Judeo-Christian values that we held by our framers and a president who held true to the Constitution and followed both.

Old 04-21-2016, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNY...DirtyStayOut View Post
And that's his appeal. It's his populism and nationalism not conservatism. The Cruzbots don't get it and that's why he is the only one that can win the general. Cruz would get slaughtered because of his social views. America has changed, the Republican Party as we knew it is dead now. Trump is the game changer, and it's about time.
Donald can NOT win in the General. He should not run as a Republican if he does not intend to uphold the party platform. America has changed. Eternal truths and foundational principles have not.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:14 PM

30,122 posts, read 23,504,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Uh oh. The Trump angry voters are going to get really really angry.
No we aren't. Unlike some mouth breathers on here, we realize that no candidate is perfect, no candidate will ever check the box for every last thing that we want to have, and we focus on more important things like:

JOBS
Illegal Immigrants
Security

Opinions about transgender bathrooms are not a reason for me to decide on a president...maybe that's how low information idiots vote, ("he seems nice"), but some of us out here actually give a crap about the biggest problems facing this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections