U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 09:41 PM

7,270 posts, read 13,492,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Who won a Grammy for writing a book? Isn't that for music?
It was for the audiobook. "Best Spoken Word Album", I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 01:54 AM

22,362 posts, read 27,498,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Bush campaigned on cutting spending along with taxes and limiting the scope of government, which is the easiest way to win a GOP nomination.

In practice, as president....well, he cut taxes. Mostly for the wealthy. Along with a multi-trillion dollar deficit and bureaucratic garbage like the Department of Homeland Security and "No Child Left Behind."

So yeah, maybe it's wise to just keep it broad so you don't get accused of delivering something different from what you trumpeted for yourself in your campaign.
It was a tax cut for all taxpayers, not "mostly for the wealthy."
Even with the tax cuts, the wealthy still pay more than their share. 86% of all federal income taxes are paid by the top 25% of income earners. This is up from 84% in the year 2000.
The top 1% of wage earners pay 37%, up 2% from the year 2000.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:00 AM

22,362 posts, read 27,498,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post

But I am extremely happy that we will finally be rid of this total loser and hopefully the next president will be able to turn this country around. I wouldn't want to be in his/her shoes, with the mess they will inherit.
Yeah, the economy, in which the average unemployment rate has been lower than the average for the '70s, '80s and '90s was "pretty bad!" As was that one quarter in 2004 with a huge 8.3% GDP growth (higher than any quarter during the last president's two terms).

Old 02-14-2008, 02:22 AM

9,454 posts, read 12,254,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Yeah, the economy, in which the average unemployment rate has been lower than the average for the '70s, '80s and '90s was "pretty bad!" As was that one quarter in 2004 with a huge 8.3% GDP growth (higher than any quarter during the last president's two terms).
You got jokes....my dear friend where did the Trillions of dollars of Red Ink come from..just guessing..sorry!!!

Old 02-14-2008, 06:56 AM

5,233 posts, read 7,718,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
Know who else motivated people with articulate speeches about hope and the future of his country?

YouTube - Hitler speech (English subtitles)
You'll claim I am comparing Obama with Hitler. I am not.
This made me laugh. If you were not comparing Obama with Hitler, what were your doing exactly? Ever hear of Godwin's Law? It states:

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."

Godwin's law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-14-2008, 07:12 AM

Obama speaks quite eloquently all the time without a teleprompter. You should go hear him one time. He even gives Republicans goose bumps.

YouTube - Barack Obama in New York City, September 27th, 2007

LiveLeak.com - Obama Speaks to Supporters That Couldnt Fit into the Event in Lebanon

Old 02-14-2008, 08:12 AM

17,297 posts, read 25,642,559 times
I heard him give a speech on the radio last night. It's very true... without the teleprompter, he's not exactly inspiring. Garbled sentences, awkward pauses, misuse of words.

But, whatever right? Young! Hip! Cool! Exotic! Tres Chic to vote for Obama!

Old 02-14-2008, 08:16 AM

7,730 posts, read 12,690,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
This made me laugh. If you were not comparing Obama with Hitler, what were your doing exactly? Ever hear of Godwin's Law? It states:

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."

Godwin's law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I know Godwin's law quite well. I also know that many leaders have used stong rhetoric about the goodness of their countries in order to inspire people. I also said that I was not comparing Obama to Hitler. I guess you missed that?

Old 02-14-2008, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
I also said that I was not comparing Obama to Hitler. I guess you missed that?
I didn't miss it, that was the central part of my point.

I can say that I am not responding to a post on a forum right now. Does that mean I am not responding to a post on a forum right now?

I can say my poop doesn't stink. Does that mean my poop doesn't stink?

You did something in one sentence, then claimed you were not doing it in the next.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:37 AM

7,730 posts, read 12,690,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
I didn't miss it, that was the central part of my point.

I can say that I am not responding to a post on a forum right now. Does that mean I am not responding to a post on a forum right now?

I can say my poop doesn't stink. Does that mean my poop doesn't stink?

You did something in one sentence, then claimed you were not doing it in the next.
Let me type this really slow...

I was comparing Obama's speaking style to Hitler's. Intentions aside, they both were able to inspire the youth through their words. That's where the correlation ends. Unless Obama is planning to kill a few million Jews? Is he?

I could have just as easily compared him to MLK Jr. I probably would have received mad reps for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or