U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2008, 12:07 PM

5,396 posts, read 7,049,379 times

Advertisements

Apparently Hillary is not very good at making friends or inspiring people. If those that know her are ready to bail on her what does that tell you about her as a candidate?

Top Democrats, including some inside Hillary Clinton's campaign, say many party leaders the so-called superdelegates won't hesitate to ditch the former New York senator for Barack Obama if her political problems persist. Their loyalty to the first couple is built on shaky ground.

ON DEADLINE: Chickens come home to roost - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_campaignplus/20080213/ap_ca/on_deadline_clinton;_ylt=AgvlErbaS3P_eFGnnOGUnFsDW 7oF - broken link)
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 12:13 PM
BVH

944 posts, read 464,236 times
"Getting ready to" and doing it are two different things. I do agree though that if after TX, OH, and PA things haven't picked up, they'll leave.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:14 PM

69,372 posts, read 55,245,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Apparently Hillary is not very good at making friends or inspiring people. If those that know her are ready to bail on her what does that tell you about her as a candidate?

Top Democrats, including some inside Hillary Clinton's campaign, say many party leaders the so-called superdelegates won't hesitate to ditch the former New York senator for Barack Obama if her political problems persist. Their loyalty to the first couple is built on shaky ground.

ON DEADLINE: Chickens come home to roost - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_campaignplus/20080213/ap_ca/on_deadline_clinton;_ylt=AgvlErbaS3P_eFGnnOGUnFsDW 7oF - broken link)
I'm not sure this can be isolated to just the Clinton campaign. People want to back a winner. Its the reason for the Obama sweeps we are seeing now.

But it does say something about the lack of loyalty for the Clintons. It seems that B Clinton has doomed Hillary's campaign.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:18 PM

12,870 posts, read 13,092,764 times
i dont think that bill has hurt her campaign at all. her problems are that not everyone is for mandatory universal health care,and she has probably alienated a lot of men with the women rhetoric. ironically, as a republican voter she is looking better to me the more i research obama's record and with our party's choice of mccain. (which i gotta say i never thought would happen).

Old 02-13-2008, 12:19 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,032,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I'm not sure this can be isolated to just the Clinton campaign. People want to back a winner. Its the reason for the Obama sweeps we are seeing now.

But it does say something about the lack of loyalty for the Clintons. It seems that B Clinton has doomed Hillary's campaign.
I think her campaign was going to have problems either way. If Bill had remained presidential and remained out of the spotlight, she wouldn't have gotten off the ground. So she had to have his involvement.

Problem is, once you invite Bill in, then it becomes about him.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:40 PM

8,062 posts, read 16,166,206 times
The superdelegates are not going to take flight at this point. It would be premature. Because of whom they are, they're not going to risk being on the wrong side of the nominee. The superdelegates are people who have a great, personal stake in who wins and the nominee is the titular head of the party.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:43 PM
BVH

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
The superdelegates are not going to take flight at this point. It would be premature. Because of whom they are, they're not going to risk being on the wrong side of the nominee. The superdelegates are people who have a great, personal stake in who wins and the nominee is the titular head of the party.
Translation: Superdelegates don't rely on the MSM to determine who's the best candidate for the Presidency, nor who is ahead or behind. They are far more intimately connected to what's going on than Wolf Blitzer is.

It's unfortunate that so many people on this board buy into the MSM's "coronations".

Old 02-13-2008, 12:51 PM

8,062 posts, read 16,166,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVH View Post
Translation: Superdelegates don't rely on the MSM to determine who's the best candidate for the Presidency, nor who is ahead or behind. They are far more intimately connected to what's going on than Wolf Blitzer is.

It's unfortunate that so many people on this board buy into the MSM's "coronations".
Well, yes, but I was alluding to the fact that many of the Superdelegates ponder their own re-election campaigns and look to the nominee or president to campaign for them. They don't want to risk getting the cold shoulder. Others are party bigwigs who are political operatives. Being on the wrong side can reduce their chances for future employment as campaign managers and strategists.

If Hillary doesn't win Texas, Pennsylvania, etc. then they will be reconsidering. But it is too risky for them to jump ship at this point.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:58 PM
BVH

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Well, yes, but I was alluding to the fact that many of the Superdelegates ponder their own re-election campaigns and look to the nominee or president to campaign for them. They don't want to risk getting the cold shoulder. Others are party bigwigs who are political operatives. Being on the wrong side can reduce their chances for future employment as campaign managers and strategists.

If Hillary doesn't win Texas, Pennsylvania, etc. then they will be reconsidering. But it is too risky for them to jump ship at this point.
Yes, you are correct. That's why I am becoming increasingly disenchanted with John Edwards' lack of endorsement. It's becoming quite clear that he does indeed prefer Hillary, but, he's taking a "wait and see" attitude to preserve his own political skin.

You hit the nail on the head. All politicians have their own interests at heart first and foremost.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:04 PM

2,294 posts, read 5,583,856 times
I think it's over for Hillary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or