U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 09:28 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,438,628 times

Advertisements

Well, I think I like Ron Paul even more now lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 02:06 AM

9,715 posts, read 13,298,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Not to mention McCain's support of making permanent the backloaded Bush tax cuts, which have been estimated to cost 4.3 Trillion through 2018, at which time we'll only be 15 years into our 100 year Iraqi commitment.
Yeah, I know. This is like a big hole we're digging.

I didn't realize it until recently, but a lot of voters weren't "of age" when Bill Clinton was president. Bill Clinton was a fiscal conservative and he got into a lot of big fights with congress over the budget. He finally got this country to the point to where we had a budget surplus -- and then George Bush went and handed it out as a tax refund. Seriously.

If we had kept the Clinton taxes and had not had the GWB tax cuts, we would have been "not in the hole" nearly as much as we are now. Things would have been a lot better, particularly if we hadn't gone to war with Iraq -- in that case, we probably would have been running a budget surplus and we would have been paying off the national debt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BUT NO!!! Freakin' George Bush wanted to give money back and so now we are way way in the hole.

But Clinton was a saver and we would have had money socked away for a rainy day by now...

Old 02-14-2008, 02:09 AM

Those of you who are for Ron Paul -- do some research on Bill Clinton and the budgets from the years he was in office. You'll find that he was a real fiscal conservative.

This is one of the main reasons I want to vote for Hillary.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:21 AM

14,269 posts, read 15,870,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Those of you who are for Ron Paul -- do some research on Bill Clinton and the budgets from the years he was in office. You'll find that he was a real fiscal conservative.

Yes, I agree. I believe Hillary is strong enough to make her own decisions and run the country, but I also believe she will consult with her husband who certainly must be a positive influence. (most of the time)

Ron Paul has some good ideas, but I don't think they are realistic.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Yes, I agree. I believe Hillary is strong enough to make her own decisions and run the country, but I also believe she will consult with her husband who certainly must be a positive influence. (most of the time)

Ron Paul has some good ideas, but I don't think they are realistic.
I agree (obviously). One thing that strikes me from posts I read and e-mails I've received -- a lot of voters weren't voters back in the 1992 to 2000 cycle so they don't really know much about Bill Clinton. I think those of us who remember him need to spread the word!!

BILL CLINTON WAS A FISCAL CONSERVATIVE!!!!!!

(I liked Ron Paul on fiscal policy but on everything else, he really turned me off!)

Old 02-14-2008, 08:49 AM

4,668 posts, read 8,912,407 times
Quote:
Yeah, I know. This is like a big hole we're digging.

I didn't realize it until recently, but a lot of voters weren't "of age" when Bill Clinton was president. Bill Clinton was a fiscal conservative and he got into a lot of big fights with congress over the budget. He finally got this country to the point to where we had a budget surplus -- and then George Bush went and handed it out as a tax refund. Seriously.

If we had kept the Clinton taxes and had not had the GWB tax cuts, we would have been "not in the hole" nearly as much as we are now. Things would have been a lot better, particularly if we hadn't gone to war with Iraq -- in that case, we probably would have been running a budget surplus and we would have been paying off the national debt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BUT NO!!! Freakin' George Bush wanted to give money back and so now we are way way in the hole.

But Clinton was a saver and we would have had money socked away for a rainy day by now...
As would have Gore and, to a lessor extent, the 2000 version of McCain who bears little to no resemblance to 2007 McCain.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:54 AM

7,730 posts, read 12,697,065 times
Quote:

How do you relate fiscal conservatism to her Health Care plan? She is all about bigger government. That's the exact opposite of Ron Paul's stance.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:05 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,119,046 times
Clinton ran a balanced budget in the end, which is better than what we saw out of GWB. But he wasn't about less spending, he was about raising tax revenues to make sure the budget was balanced. While it's respectable to run a balanced budget, I'd rather see less spending to get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or