Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 08:21 AM

17,320 posts, read 11,192,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I think a female senator is a reasonable bet, although of course it's playing "the woman card" but Hypocrite Donald loves to attack people for doing exactly what he's doing himself. But I do think he will go with someone more Washington establishment, both in the attempt to unite the party and because maybe he's smart enough to know that he has no clue how Congress actually works and having someone who does would be helpful.
Hardly, Trump has more women in high power than men in his corporations. A female VP would be a natural for him without being a hypocrite. Hillary might even learn something from him regarding this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 08:28 AM

17,387 posts, read 9,207,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
BTW, for those who say Trump shouldn't have an establishment VP or a VP that already has a political history, Trump has already stated he IS going to pick someone in politics. So get used to that idea.
He has said pretty much that there is a lot of talent in the GOP field, and is looking at them for his administration- I consider that a "bringing the party together" thing. Ronald Reagan did exactly the same thing and for the same reasons. Not just for Unity, but also for Process- Trump is NOT a politician or a Wasington insider, he has to have someone who (at minimum) who knows how Congress works and how to implement an agenda.

Who really thinks that Trump is going to be led by the nose by his VP??? The one thing for sure that we know about Trump is that HE is the boss, you can take it to the bank that HE will make the decisions after due diligence. The most important initial decisions will be VP & Chief of Staff, I expect (and want) those to be Process people. They NEED to be process people, so get over this idea that it can't be a Rubio or a Senate or House member. Trump will be the Boss.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:57 AM

9,330 posts, read 14,246,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Love the idea but I am afraid, if Trump were to choose her and he gets beat her political future could be damaged. I think the person he chooses should be someone who is nearing the end of their political career or maybe a governor who could go right back to his/her home state and continue running it. I know Christie is one I would not think could help Trump. They are both from the same region. He will need someone, probably from the west or midwest.
Mostly agree with this.

After doing some quick research, the names on marino760s' list all have impressive resumes to some degree or other, especially the senators from Iowa and Nebraska (I liked least the one from NH), but they are all in their not-yet-complete first terms (even though a few are mature enough in age), whether junior or senior senator, and to me that is problematic.

Also I prefer ambiguity when it comes to so-called "social" policy, like Trump: look, personally I am arch-conservative in my personal behavior, and that by nature, not some moral superiority, so it's personal, I don't expect everybody else to be, and I don't expect it to be a statutory requirement.

Finally, and this is only a long shot, concerning health care, I would love to see a republican, or an outsider who has overrun the party, like Trump, come out forcefully in favor of a single-payer system (and that does not exclude a parallel private market-based system, by the way). That would steal a lot of thunder and be a step in the right direction towards social peace.

As for the rest, I am good with pro-business, low effective tax rates (drastic simplification would be great too), strong military, strong borders, legal immigration, better trade agreements (that don't decimate wages of legal average workers on US soil), maybe even some pockets of protectionism for some low/mid-tech manufacturing, sound money, perhaps including an updated version of Glass-Steagall, the right to bear arms, law and order, etc.

Last edited by bale002; 04-27-2016 at 09:11 AM..

Old 04-27-2016, 09:06 AM

8,070 posts, read 6,946,454 times
I don't think Kasich is bad choice because Ohio is a great state to win during the election. I just don't think Kasich will want the job. He has repeatedly said he won't be anybody's vicepresident.

Rick Scott from FL, I don't know. About 50% of the state hates him so I don't think that will win him any extra votes.

Sarah Palin might win him some conservative votes in the Western States but those votes are already guaranteed. What he needs is independent votes.

I don't think any VP choice can help Trump with moderates and independents. Trump has done a lot of damage to his image. He went too far with his bigoted and offensive attacks. I guess he needs to get a conservative so at least he doesn't lose those red states. In that case maybe someone like Cruz. If Christie changed, I guess Cruz can do it too.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:28 AM

20,112 posts, read 16,089,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Nice inflammatory start to a thread that you admit you don't give a hoot about.

You don't want to discuss. You want to strew discord.
No, I want to have a serious discussion, as it has become. Who he picks as VP will have a major impact on whether or not anti-Trump Republicans will come around to supporting him com November. I very much care, this is my country.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:31 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,931,892 times
He needs to pick someone who knows how to manage the Washington establishment.

Newt Gingrich.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:44 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,433,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
He needs to pick someone who knows how to manage the Washington establishment.

Newt Gingrich.
Love Newt but he is too old. We are going to need to look at younger faces. Remember the VP is a heartbeat away from the presidency.

Old 04-27-2016, 10:08 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,565,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Love Newt but he is too old. We are going to need to look at younger faces. Remember the VP is a heartbeat away from the presidency.
Newt was for NAFTA, and is somewhat hawkish. I know he's great in some ways
but I can't see it. Newt brings nothing to the table vs. Hillary. He's from the South,
which is already in the bag, and doesn't take in minorities or women.
A great talker, yes, but also not fondly remembered by many Americans.
Newt shut down the government for a long time. He's not on the list, imo.

Old 04-27-2016, 10:35 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,122,698 times
Newt Gingrich.

Just what this race needs, another 70-something white guy.

Old 04-27-2016, 10:39 AM

16,876 posts, read 10,539,064 times
Christie. I don't think he wants the job but either way it would be too many chiefs. I thonk christie wants AG.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections